Thread: Connecting Ubuntu Laptop brings Entire Network Down

Beans

Connecting Ubuntu Laptop brings Entire Network Down

So I recently installed Ubuntu on an old laptop of mine. Every time that i connect the ubuntu laptop to my network it brings the entire network down. Wireless or wired.
    My router is a buffalo xtreme n with DD_WRT on it. The ubuntu laptop actually connects but after going online for a few minutes the entire network goes down and the router hands out invalid 169 addresses. I have to unplug my router and restart it to bring things back.

I am not sure what the problem could be. I feel like it is collisions bringing the network down but the laptop is configured for DHCP.
    Machine Brand and Model (PC/Laptop)
    :

Acer Travelmate 5730 Laptop

Wireless Brand, Model and Wireless Chipset:

Code:
    Ethernet controller: broadcom corporation NetXtreme BCM5764 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe (rev 10)
    kernel driver in use: tg3

network controller: intel corporation wifi link 5100
    kernel driver in use: iwlagn
    Ubuntu Version:
    Ubuntu 11.10

Kernel/architecture (including 32 vs. 64 bit):
    3.0.0-16generic i686

Beans

Re: Connecting Ubuntu Laptop brings Entire Network Down

Thankyou everyone for all of your help. I kept thinking that my problem was with the Ubuntu laptop when i never thought to search for the DD_WRT firmware issues with ubuntu. I removed DNSmasq and i have been connected for a while now. I am marking this as solved and i apologize for not searching correctly. My answer was found not too far away. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1932546