Thread: wireless adapter TL-WN727N

Beans

wireless adapter TL-WN727N

Hi there

I am new to Linux. I am setting up an old Dell sx270 for my kids and have installed qimo 2.0. I can connect to the Internet using a wired connection however the computer is not close to my router. I want to use my tp wp 727n wireless adapter. In network manager there are no wireless connections available

Can someone give me a help to take me through the stages of setting up a new wireless card. So far have gone round in circles for hours and days so any help will be appreciated!

Thanks

David

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Can you help me set up wireless adapter

I can't find anything about this wireless adapter. Fan you please go to the Terminal and type the following:

Code:
    lsusb
    (that's a lowercase L not a One)

And tell us exactly what it says about the wireless.

Qimo 2 is very old - if it predates the wireless card then that would explain why you are having this issue. Does regular Ubuntu 11.10 work?
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Re: Can you help me set up wireless adapter

Hi there thanks for replying

Apologies. I got the model number wrong for the wireless adapter. It is a tp-link. TL-WN727N

Sorry about that

Regards

David

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: wireless adapter TL-WN727N

Moved to Networking and Wireless.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Hi there. Thanks for replying....I installed from qimo 2.0 image which I downloaded from the web......not sure which versions of Ubuntu is is using....

Beans

Just checked and it is Ubuntu 10.04 LTS release 10.04 code name lucid

Beans

I have read previously that version 10.10 and previous were fine with this network adapter, people have had problems getting it to work in version 11.10....being a newbie I suspect that I may not have wireless networking set up properly or the drivers installed to support that adapter? When I try plugging in to a spare USB nothing happens...lsusb returns

Id 148f:5370 Ralink technology, Corp

Thanks for your help

David

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    Moved to Networking and Wireless.
    Too late...gone back to win xp...managed to set up everything I need in 2 hours flat that I failed to achieve in 2 weeks and may wasted hours here !! I'm sure Linux must be good for people with hours to spend setting stuff up but guess I've not got these hours to spend

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi, I am sorry to hear you went back to windows, but I only see 8 hours since you posted for help with your wireless and you did not post the output asked for in post 2 that was needed to help you.

If you decide to come back later we will be happy to help.