Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brute force attempts into my mailserver?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Brute force attempts into my mailserver?

Hi. I just noticed these live logs when I was tailing my mail.log. There were massive of this log entries with the same ip address.
    Feb 26 11:49:25 revomix postfix/smtpd[3074]: lost connection after AUTH from unknown[ip.address.]
    Feb 26 11:49:25 revomix postfix/smtpd[3074]: disconnect from unknown[ip.address]
    Feb 26 11:49:26 revomix postfix/smtpd[3074]: connect from unknown[ip.address]
    Feb 26 11:49:26 revomix postfix/smtpd[3074]: lost connection after AUTH from unknown[ip.address]
    Feb 26 11:49:26 revomix postfix/smtpd[3074]: disconnect from unknown[ip.address]
    Feb 26 11:49:27 revomix postfix/smtpd[3074]: connect from unknown[ip.address]
    Feb 26 11:49:28 revomix postfix/smtpd[3074]: lost connection after AUTH from unknown[ip.address]
    Feb 26 11:49:28 revomix postfix/smtpd[3074]: disconnect from unknown[ip.address]
    Feb 26 11:49:28 revomix postfix/smtpd[3074]: connect from unknown[ip.address]
    Feb 26 11:49:25 revomix postfix/smtpd[3074]: lost connection after AUTH from unknown[ip.address.]
    Feb 26 11:49:25 revomix postfix/smtpd[3074]: disconnect from unknown[ip.address]
    Feb 26 11:49:26 revomix postfix/smtpd[3074]: connect from unknown[ip.address]
    Feb 26 11:49:26 revomix postfix/smtpd[3074]: lost connection after AUTH from unknown[ip.address]
    Feb 26 11:49:26 revomix postfix/smtpd[3074]: disconnect from unknown[ip.address]
    Feb 26 11:49:27 revomix postfix/smtpd[3074]: connect from unknown[ip.address]
    Feb 26 11:49:28 revomix postfix/smtpd[3074]: lost connection after AUTH from unknown[ip.address]
    Feb 26 11:49:28 revomix postfix/smtpd[3074]: disconnect from unknown[ip.address]
    Feb 26 11:49:28 revomix postfix/smtpd[3074]: connect from unknown[ip.address]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Brute force attempts into my mailserver?

Looks like it. You could block the IP, but I wouldn't expect that to help for very long. Are they getting authenticated or is it failing? Are they hitting a particular account or does it look more like a script testing different logins?

Sorry, I'm used to more detailed logs.

If they are not getting authenticated it's really not atypical. You can setup measures like a limited number of attempts and such. That's what I did after an account on one of my servers was compromised. 10 failed attempts and wait 90 minutes! Worked like a charm (along with stricter password requirements).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You should have posted the IP and I could have told you where it was coming from.

Anyway, I also noticed my Apache server was being bruteforced, there are bots on the internet than scan all possible IPs and Ports and there is nothing we can do...Most infected PCs seem to coming from China or Southeast Asia in my case.

Google "fail2ban", install it, and configure it to work with your specific mail server applications (it supports many many different applications).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This is pretty much all there is to the log. Just repetition of the same ip.

I didn't want to post the ip just in case it wasn't hack. I can't say for sure if they are using an exact email address. I don't think so or it show up on log. It is probably coming from China. As most of my email accounts were attacked from China.

I use flurdy's guide for my mail server. How do I setup security measures? What files do I need to edit?

I saw a thread about fail2ban. I will also look into that as well.

Beans
    Hidden!

If you expose a service like mail, ssh, rdp, ftp, etc., this happens. There are all sorts of people/BOTS looking for open services. As long as they aren't successful at getting into your server then don't get to paranoid about it. At first it bothered me; however, I have seen so many failed attempts over the years that I find it funny these days.

I am not complacent assuming I am secure. I still check the logs occasionally.
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; February 26th, 2012 at 05:13 AM.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You can start here http://flurdy.com/docs/postfix/#extend

Like Gray Wolf said though, if they aren't getting in it's really nothing to lose sleep over. I'm not familiar with that mail system, but the attempts per timeframe thing worked great for me even after a compromise (and therefore greatly increased attempts).

Beans

Make Your Password Isnt Weak.
    Very Very Bad When Bruteforcing Comes Along.

Same Goes For Router,Accounts,MailServers.

Looks Like Somebody Tried To Get Into Your MailServer.

I Dont Know Why They Would BruteForce.

Getting Into Mail Accounts Is Easy.

Anyway Just Make Sure The Password Isnt Weak.
    Just To Be Sure He Or She BruteForces Again.
    Linux Freedom

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I am looking at the auth.log as well. I don't see any activities within those timeframe of attacks. They weren't successful if there were no entries?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

if you are worried you could just install Fail2Ban

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by duceduc View Post
    I am looking at the auth.log as well. I don't see any activities within those timeframe of attacks. They weren't successful if there were no entries?
    Correct. If nothing was authed you have most likely not been compromised in any way. Failed attempts are common. Probably just a bot scanning your server looking for an easy target to send spam from.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast