Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Opinions on an AMD APU setup?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Denmark - Scandinavia
    Beans
    17,626

    Re: Opinions on an AMD APU setup?

    Thread moved to Other OS/Distro Talk.
    elementary OS Luna
    My Screenshot

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Beans
    6,028

    Re: Opinions on an AMD APU setup?

    Quote Originally Posted by Giraffemonster View Post
    I'd still like to know if there's any sort of solution to it.
    Buy a nVidia GPU and disable the onboard. Personally I would not have purchased such a system.

    Either way I hope you get it sorted.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    7
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Opinions on an AMD APU setup?

    Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Buy a nVidia GPU and disable the onboard. Personally I would not have purchased such a system.

    Either way I hope you get it sorted.
    Not very helpful, is it. Hope your 6539 other beans were more constructive.
    My last system had lots more problems with nvidia and Nouveau drivers than I have had with Llano and ATI?



    It reminds me though of a problem I read somewhere else of motherboard onboard graphics needing to be disabled in BIOS to get ATI driver to work.
    Doubt your FM1 board has onboard but worth checking.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Beans
    356
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: AMD APU driver problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Giraffemonster View Post
    Firstly, I'd like to start this off by saying that any mods should feel free to move this to the correct sub-forum, if there's a better place for this thread. Also, I'd like to apologize for any "facepalm worthy" stupidity I'll inevitably show.

    So, I'm thinking about building a new setup. I've been using Ubuntu operating systems for around two years by now, but I've used the same system throughout. A lot of the things I do with my current setup run very slow. Some things I would like to do won't work at all. Desktop resolution is at 1280x960, and I'd probably keep it like that in a new setup.

    Things I would like to be able to do, that I can't do in my current setup: Graphics editing at high resolutions, streaming videos at 720p or higher, video editing, composing audio with many tracks, recording audio with audio playback in audacity. Also, I'd most likely be using KDE with a few desktop effects.

    I'm planning on building a system that uses AMD's new A8-3850, 2.9GHz which includes an integrated 6550D processor. I've read a few reviews about it, but most just talk about gaming with it, which I won't be doing on a large scale. Thanks for reading, and once again, sorry if anything here sounds really stupid. I'll provide more information as requested.

    EDIT: So I've built the system a while ago, and I'm now running Linux Mint 12 (Lisa) 64-bit. I'm having a few problems, and I believe that most of them are related to the drivers I'm using. They could really be anything though. If the details of these smaller problems are important, I'll be sure to provide the information.

    I've been trying to improve some stability on my setup by using the proprietary drivers, but none of them seem to work. I've used the jockey-gtk application to install the drivers from the repositories. I've also tried to manually install the drivers from AMD's website. Regardless of the method, I end up with a system that runs fine, but crashes within the first minute of usage.

    Is there anything that could help, or would it be better just to stick with the open-source drivers?
    The driver problem completely doesn't surprise me. I have an AMD APU running on this laptop and it only partially works. You should have done your research and instead bought a processor that doesn't require the use of fiddly AMD graphics drivers to use. I'm afraid the only thing I can recommend is to return your computer, or install a more compatible OS.

    EDIT:@mips completely agree. It's not that I don't like AMD hardware, but one must do their research before buying! If desktops it is we're talking about, a system with a small Intel motherboard, maybe an energy-efficient I5 or FX4100 with an nVidia GPU like the Gt430 would have been a better choice. Also, Hybrid drives if you can't get SSD.
    Last edited by 0011235813; March 15th, 2012 at 09:18 PM.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Beans
    6,028

    Re: Opinions on an AMD APU setup?

    Quote Originally Posted by greg.9 View Post
    Not very helpful, is it. Hope your 6539 other beans were more constructive.
    My last system had lots more problems with nvidia and Nouveau drivers than I have had with Llano and ATI?
    I think this is where I'm gonna cash in my chips on this forum and tell you to go do whatever they say in the movies to go to yourself.

    So long and thanks for all the fish all you gentle people

    Live long and prosper!
    Last edited by mips; March 15th, 2012 at 10:20 PM.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Beans
    6,028

    Re: Opinions on an AMD APU setup?

    Quote Originally Posted by greg.9 View Post
    Not very helpful, is it. Hope your 6539 other beans were more constructive.
    My last system had lots more problems with nvidia and Nouveau drivers than I have had with Llano and ATI?



    It reminds me though of a problem I read somewhere else of motherboard onboard graphics needing to be disabled in BIOS to get ATI driver to work.
    Doubt your FM1 board has onboard but worth checking.
    Not very often that I do this but your wish is granted
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11768528

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Beans
    63

    Re: Opinions on an AMD APU setup?

    Quote Originally Posted by kosme15 View Post
    I used to have a lot of problems with the fglrx driver not installing properly and even when it did install, not working the way it should. And this is with a good old HD4650 card -- they've been around a long time and should be well supported. Things started working for me, when I followed this guide: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu

    Two thing in particular that I learned from this guide are, first, never to run the installer directly. Always create a .deb package and install it from the command line. And second, the importance of calling aticonfig with proper command line options after installing the .deb files cannot be overestimated. All this is described in detail in the above guide. I used to have lots of headache with fglrx, but not anymore. I hope this helps.
    So I looked at that guide, and tried it again. It required a few different packages, a few different steps too. I got the same result though. It kinda-worked, but crashes soon. At least the crashes occurred in 1-2 minutes rather than less than one minute this time.

    Ended up reinstalling because the fglrx package couldn't be removed. My Linux Mint disc for some reason refuses to install, but thankfully, I have a 64-bit Fedora disc with me. I'm posting this from Konqueror while it installs (One feature I like in most distos). Oh well, I guess that's that. I'll be fine with the open-source drivers. They worked well.

    I'm also aware that I should have done some more research. You guys are right, but it's too late I guess. Not going to get a graphics card because I'll be fine without the drivers. About getting an nVidia card though, doesn't AMD have better driver support than nVidia? At least, that's what I've heard. Maybe it just doesn't apply to this case?

    Going to mark this as solved though, not much more to be said here. Thanks for the help and info though, I'll be sure to put more effort into research in whatever my next purchase is.
    AMD A8-3850 2.9GHZ, G. SKILL 8GB DDR3 RAM 1666Mhz, 60GB Mushkin SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, AMD Radeon HD6550D

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Beans
    356
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Opinions on an AMD APU setup?

    Quote Originally Posted by Giraffemonster View Post
    So I looked at that guide, and tried it again. It required a few different packages, a few different steps too. I got the same result though. It kinda-worked, but crashes soon. At least the crashes occurred in 1-2 minutes rather than less than one minute this time.

    Ended up reinstalling because the fglrx package couldn't be removed. My Linux Mint disc for some reason refuses to install, but thankfully, I have a 64-bit Fedora disc with me. I'm posting this from Konqueror while it installs (One feature I like in most distos). Oh well, I guess that's that. I'll be fine with the open-source drivers. They worked well.

    I'm also aware that I should have done some more research. You guys are right, but it's too late I guess. Not going to get a graphics card because I'll be fine without the drivers. About getting an nVidia card though, doesn't AMD have better driver support than nVidia? At least, that's what I've heard. Maybe it just doesn't apply to this case?

    Going to mark this as solved though, not much more to be said here. Thanks for the help and info though, I'll be sure to put more effort into research in whatever my next purchase is.
    In response to your last question, this is an issue that so often gets people muddled up. It's not nVidia who are keeping their drivers closed source, it's AMD, especially since nVidia chips have better support for the superior OpenGL game engine than AMD. It's strange, you'd think a company dedicated to giving you a performance computer for less money than an Intel one would go mad and support a free OS and a open-source game engine as much as possible, but apparently not. Maybe you-know-how is giving the fringe company some ca$h to support their OS?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •