Thread: rEFIt and GRUB...

Beans

rEFIt and GRUB...

Is there a way make rEFIt to tell GRUB which OS to load without telling GRUB again or would something like that need to be hard coded into both?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: rEFIt and GRUB...

In your terminal type
    Code:
    $ sudo nano /etc/default/grub
    Arrow down to the line
    Code:
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
    and change it to
    Code:
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=0
    Next, hit CRTL+O (that's an uppercase o, not a zero) and then Enter/Return. Then hit CRTL+X. Now type into your terminal
    Code:
    $ sudo update-grub
    That's it! Hope this helped and if it did, don't forget to mark the thread [SOLVED]
    Last edited by musicman10489; February 29th, 2012 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Add keystroke

Beans

Thank you for the reply musicman
    What you suggest is just tricking GRUB to take the first choice on the menu and not giving any booting choice to the user which is fine if you're on a dual boot system (OSX, Ubuntu), this isn't a good solution for triple boot where you want to boot a different OS using GRUB (Windows or Ubuntu and OSX, the latter doesn't need GRUB), my question is wether it's possible to use rEFIt to let GRUB know which OS I want to boot and not have to choose the same thing twice...
    Last edited by dakos; February 29th, 2012 at 04:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Ahhh I see what you're saying now. I have limited knowledge concerning triple boots and the such but I'll still see if I can come up with some useful info for you.

Beans

Sorry for a no-help post, but I couldn't help commenting..

@musicman10489,
    When you only post some codes that override default settings, it may sometimes lead to results that may be undesirable to the original poster. So you should always consider explaining their effect (as a warning or a short comment) whenever you make such suggestions.

You seem to be willing to help here, but setting grub timeout to zero, regardless of the system being dual or triple (or even more) boot, is never recommended since afterwards, you'd be left with no easy way to choose the other OS unless you re-edit the grub-defaults file (or grub.cfg itself).

Please don't take it as a criticism, it's just a friendly advice; I've made such mistakes myself in the past.

@dakos
    Sorry once again for being off-topic. I have no idea about rEFIt or how it interacts with grub, so can't offer any direct help with that. But this guide seems to offer what you are asking for: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ma...elInstallation
    (pay attention to "Avoid long EFI wait before GRUB" part)
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

Dear varunendra,
    Thank you for the suggestion, I've read the linked page about five times even before I started the install (even edited it and quite a few others), I usually set the GRUB timeout to 1-2 seconds and with this configuration my MacBook boots in less then 30 seconds to every OS I choose so no need to bless any partition.

May be someone knows how GRUB and rEFIt interact?
    Thank you again

Beans
    Distro

@varunendra
    I sincerely appreciate your advice. That never even occurred to me to just explain what everything does. I am definitely going to be a lot more thorough with my posts from now on. Thanks for being so kind about it instead of just jumping down my throat