Thread: Replacing motherboard

Beans

Replacing motherboard

My Asus p57na-vm is dead/dying. I have pruchased a Gigabyte SKT-775 G41MT-S2PT to replace it.

Will I be able to simply swap this or will I need to re-install? I have gotten away with it in windows before when using same processor/socket.

Beans

Re: Replacing motherboard

U need to reinstall windows in order to boot properly, if ur board from the same manufacturer as the old one than u can boot without format & uninstall the not supported driver & install the supported one it will work fine.

Beans

I am running Lubuntu... not windows but I have int the pat replaced a mb in windows and was wondering if the process was similar?

Beans

You shouldn't need to reinstall. People routinely take a hard disk from an older system, slap it in their new rig, and it boots fine.

You need to reinstall windows in order to boot properly
    In my experience, that's false. Usually, the worst that happens is you have reduced/limited functionality until you install the proper drivers. That, and Windows Genuine (dis)Advantage will annoy you to recertify because it thinks you're installing Windows on two different systems.