Thread: Post LXDE config files, please? Trying to use LXSession for custom desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Post LXDE config files, please? Trying to use LXSession for custom desktop

Hi, all,

I don't actually use LXDE, but I need some help with one of its components — LXSession session manager.

I am trying to assemble a custom desktop environment as an alternative to Gnome. I'd like it to be run under a session manager. I picked LXSession because it's lightweight, has few dependencies, and seems easy to configure.

I found a number of tutorials online, and they all gave slightly different but similar steps. But I can't get this to work. I try to log in to my custom session, and it crashes and returns immediately to the gdm greeter.

So, I have two questions, and I'm hoping a current LXDE user can help me figure this out.

1) This simplest question to ask (but maybe hardest to answer): Does anyone already know how to configure LXSession to launch a custom session? If so, could you tell me? All I'd like to include in the custom session for right now is Compiz, Avant Window Navigator, and Guake.

2) If no one knows that, can a current LXDE user just post for me the contents of their LXSession config files, and maybe I can figure it out from there? A lot of the online instructions include some variant of "Just go into these files and change all references to LXDE to refer to your custom desktop environment instead." Only, I don't have these files, I have to write them from scratch. I could download the entire LXDE meta-package, but it seems excessive to just have a look at the LXSession config files.

What I'd like to see are the contents of:

/usr/share/xsessions/LXDE.desktop (if you have it, this is for launching from gdm)
    /usr/bin/startlxde
    /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart
    /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/config

I would really appreciate an LXDE user posting those for me; it would be a big help.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Post LXDE config files, please? Trying to use LXSession for custom desktop

This is my desktop.conf from Lubuntu 11.10 lxsession

What window manager are you using ?

Something like this might help -

http://maketecheasier.com/install-a-...top/2012/02/24

Code:
    [Session]
    window_manager=openbox-lxde

[GTK]
    sNet/ThemeName=Clearlooks
    sNet/IconThemeName=Faenza-Darkest
    sGtk/FontName=Sans 10
    iGtk/ToolbarStyle=3
    iGtk/ButtonImages=1
    iGtk/MenuImages=1
    iGtk/CursorThemeSize=18
    iXft/Antialias=1
    sGtk/ColorScheme=
    iGtk/ToolbarIconSize=3
    iNet/EnableEventSounds=1
    iNet/EnableInputFeedbackSounds=1
    iXft/Hinting=1
    sXft/HintStyle=hintfull
    sXft/RGBA=rgb

[Mouse]
    AccFactor=20
    AccThreshold=10
    LeftHanded=0

[Keyboard]
    Delay=500
    Interval=30
    Last edited by Rodney9; February 25th, 2012 at 08:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney9 View Post
    This is my desktop.conf from Lubuntu 11.10 lxsession
    desktop.conf?
    Is that located at /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/desktop.conf?
    I think that's my problem. The documentation I got from LXDE.org indicated that the file should be called "config." If it's actually supposed to be called "desktop.conf" I can see why that wouldn't boot.

What window manager are you using ?
    I'm attempting to use Compiz.

I didn't realize that there was a minimal Ubuntu iso available, and that may be useful to me in the future.

I don't think it'll help in this case, though. I'm not trying to replace Gnome or create a minimal install, just create a second desktop environment in addition to Gnome.

The name "desktop.conf" was very helpful, though. And so were the results I got from googling it. I'll try it as soon as I get back to the computer I'm trying to do this on. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro

OK, renaming my /etc/xdg/lxsession/config file to /etc/xdg/lxsession/desktop.conf didn't help. Neither did copying yours, pasting it to mine, and changing nothing except the name of the window manager to "compiz."

So, here are the complete contents of the config files that I have. I may be missing a file, or maybe there's an error in one of these.

/usr/share/xsessions/custom.desktop
    Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Name=custom
    Comment=This is a custom desktop environment under development
    Exec=/usr/bin/startcustom
    Type=Application
    I'm at my wits' end, and would certainly appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Thanks!

/usr/bin/startcustom
    Code:
    #!bin/sh
    exec /usr/bin/lxsession -s custom
    /etc/xdg/lxsession/custom/desktop.conf
    Code:
    [Session]
    window_manager=compiz --use-root-window ccp
    /etc/xdg/lxsession/custom/autostart
    Code:
    @smproxy
    @avant-window-navigator
    @guake

Beans
    Distro

OK, I now know that this is not a dependency issue. I went ahead and installed LXDE. With that installed, LXSession will launch LXDE just fine, but still won't launch my custom environment. So, it's gotta be something in the config files.

I'm going to go through the LXSession config files line-by-line, changing things one at a time until there is no LXDE left, and everything is changed to the custom environment I want. But that's going to be a long and tedious process. So … if anyone can help me out before then, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro

OK, I got it.

I needed to change my /usr/bin/startcustom to read:

Code:
    #!bin/sh
    exec /usr/bin/lxsession -s custom -e custom
    That's all it took.