Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why I chose Dropbox

Beans

Re: Why I chose Dropbox

for me I like Ubuntu one better for my use, it gives me more space for free, it works with all operating system and when I take a picture with my phone it is on all my devices instantly. However, that is the only thing I use cloud for is storing notes and scripts that I write (text files) and also for my phones pictures and videos. Not saying your complaints are not legitimate but want to add my feelings about Ubuntu One. My main complaint is probably in windows that I have to go actually type the path everytime to the folder, although I could just make a shortcut its not really a big deal for me because I am an extremely fast typist. On dropbox its integrated directly in explorer on windows 7 and you don't have to dig for it, you can get there solely with a mouse in 2 single clicks while to navigate to ubuntu one folder its about 12 double clicks. Really the windows versions could be improved a lot, in linux its perfect.
    Last edited by jaybutts; April 1st, 2012 at 03:37 PM.

Beans

Smile Re: Why I chose Dropbox

I don't use U1 cause I can't synchronize a folder outside my home folder and I'm using kde. I'll try dropbox and 4shared.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by lcnrj View Post
    I don't use U1 cause I can't synchronize a folder outside my home folder and I'm using kde. I'll try dropbox and 4shared.
    Dropbox allows you to synchronize outside your /home directory? Maybe if you re-point it to a specific location? I haven't tried that.

I read in a article that there is a way to use symlinks to grab extra, individual files from outside your /home to either your Dropbox or Ubuntu One folder so it is synchronized even though it isn't in your /home.

I think it was a HowToGeek article, and I don't remember which service they were talking about (doesn't mean it won't work for the other too).
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro

Picking Dropbox may not have been the right choice. Ubuntu One is default for Ubuntu and gives a good amount of space. If you took Dropbox instead of Ubuntu One and picked the 2 GB, then something is wrong with your head. If you don't want to do with Ubuntu One, then try using another program with the same capabilities like 4shared.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tmaranets View Post
    Picking Dropbox may not have been the right choice. Ubuntu One is default for Ubuntu and gives a good amount of space. If you took Dropbox instead of Ubuntu One and picked the 2 GB, then something is wrong with your head. If you don't want to do with Ubuntu One, then try using another program with the same capabilities like 4shared.
    Does 4shared have the same benefits Dropbox has that I listed in a previous post?

Beans

Ubuntu One is more suited for small files. This is because as files are synchronized, a revolving icon under Nautilus (icon view) is the ONLY real-time update of the process. It is my belief that when synchronization is disrupted, the file currently being uploaded is dropped. This behaviour can be observed whenever a connection is made to Ubuntu One via a browser, and the upload is interrupted.

For larger files, my preferred service is Google. Upload them into Google Docs and save plenty of money in the process. They are one of the cheapest options in cloud storage. There are no synchronization options, but I only need to save the files in a secure place. In addition, the upload speeds hold steady in the 2.6 MB range.
    Last edited by growingneeds; April 18th, 2012 at 04:08 PM.

Beans

I also choose dropbox because my asterisk server runs CentOS, and that's not supported by U1.

I also noticed that when running both U1 and Dropbox at the same time, Dropbox would update almost immediately when images from my security camera would show up. U1 took longer, and sometimes didn't seem to update at all.

Beans

My main reasons for using Dropbox instead of Ubuntu One are:
    - the speed. It has gotten better, but it still is pretty slow compared to dropbox. Especially considering that
    - you have no (easy) way of knowing whether or not your uploads have finished
    - the show stoper for me was when I found out that Ubuntu One does not track meta-data like file modification times. Even rsync does that!

Well, I've been subscribing to Ubuntu One nonetheless for quite some time now, because I want them to succeed.

Just my 2 cents,
    StarWarrior

Beans
    Distro

Ubuntu One gives you more free space than Dropbox does. You should have chose Ubuntu One or some other cloud storage like 4shared than Dropbox, unless you paid for the 100GB of Dropbox.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tmaranets View Post
    Ubuntu One gives you more free space than Dropbox does. You should have chose Ubuntu One or some other cloud storage like 4shared than Dropbox, unless you paid for the 100GB of Dropbox.
    I'm trying 4share and I can honestly say... they have not instilled confidence in me yet.

First thing I noticed was when signing up my selected username AND PASSWORD were in the URL?!?! I am not joking, as it paused for me to click something I saw it sitting right up there in the URL as a querystring instead of a Post!

The security message seems pretty weak and a lot of covering their own butt and there is no indication that your files are encrypted while sitting on their servers, let alone enroute.

Plus they use ASP Classic for logging in, and JSP pages for navigating your files? I don't think I've seen anybody use such varied technology for the same application.

Lastly, while it is great that it is free, I don't see any means for them to make money. Without money, eventually the servers will be shut down. At least with Dropbox I understand they will be making money from their paying customers and by only offering 2GB for free (with earning additional space through references) there is an incentive to become a paying customer.

So while I may have a 4share account, they need to do some significant cleaning up before I put anything I trust into it.

I can understand for purposes of storing files to share, but Dropbox, Ubuntu One, SkyDrive and others all operate on the idea that you want to keep your files private, 4share seems the opposite.

Just my observations.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast