Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why I chose Dropbox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Why I chose Dropbox

I have recently spent some time trying to chose the best cloud storage for my needs. I primarily tried out dropbox and ubuntu one. I chose dropbox, but I thought I would share the reasons why, as the developers behind Ubuntu One might want to know why I chose not to go with ubuntu one. I find it unfortunate that ubuntu one didn't fit my personal needs as I would have liked to support Canonical by purchasing one of their products, and I will therefore move to ubuntu one once it meets my personal needs.

The main reason I chose to go with dropbox was the excellent indicator applet that comes with it. By clicking it I am presented with all the information I want such as how many files remain to be uploaded, upload speed and how many percent before completion. With ubuntu one I barely get any usefull information without having to resort to the terminal. The only applet I get is nothing more than a launcher for the ubuntu one application, which I already have in my dock, so I don't even see the point of having that shortcut. Also, if I launch the ubuntu one application, it only tells me if it is currently syncing or not. No information about how much is left before completion (how many percent, how many files remain, etc). I find this lack of information frustrating.

The second reason I chose dropbox is sync speed. Ubuntu one has been painfully slow at syncing my files for me on both computers I have tried it. When saving a file I want to access on other ubuntu one connected machines, I have to wait quite a while before its uploaded. With dropbox I just check the indicator to see how much is left to upload, and it finishes in a timely fashion. With ubuntu one I'm left wondering how much time is left before I can switch off my computer and move on to wherever I'm going.

I hear that there will be a new ubuntu one application in 12.04, and I look forward to testing it. But untill then, I'll be using dropbox.

Another reason I prefear dropbox is their support. This forum seems to be the only means of support for ubuntu one. If I'm going to purchase a product, I expect to have someone that I can contact via e-mail if I have problems with the service. Dropbox has an e-mail service that I can contact, and they have so far answered questions in a timely manner. If, for example, there is a billing problem and I need to contact someone, who at Canonical can answer my questions?

Now I don't mean to be overly negative about ubuntu one. One thing worth mentioning is the fact that I found the ubuntu one price plans to be much more reasonable than dropbox, but if Canonical needs to increase the prices to be able to offer online support for their payed for service, then they should do so in my opinion.

I look forward to seeing how ubuntu one improves over time and hope to become a paying customer of the ubuntu one service some time in the future .

[EDIT] Another thing worth mentioning is that I personally believe that Canonical should package ubuntu one for other distro such as fedora. Others have said that this should be their responsibility, not the ubuntu team. But considering the fact that this product has the potential to make Canonical money, shouldn't they try and spread it to as many as possible? Dropbox is easy to install on several different distros and would therefore be a better choice for many.
    Last edited by ubuntukid; February 25th, 2012 at 05:09 PM.

Beans

Re: Why I chose Dropbox

I'm currently using Ubuntu One and enjoying it. That being said, I agree with all the points made above. There are some things Ubuntu One file sync could do better and I believe the above poster presented a good, reasonable case for each one.

I hope this thread doesn't turn into a Dropbox vs One debate, but rather highlights some features it would be nice to have in One.

Update: I especially agree that porting One to other distributions and operating systems makes sense. One has been ported to Windows and I have to assume it would be easier to port it to Fedora, PC-BSD, Debian, openSUSE, etc. I gave porting a try and, like other developers on other distros, found it to be an uphill battle. One appears to use quite a few Ubuntu-specific methods and packages, which I have to think only limits their potential customer base.
    Last edited by thnewguy; February 26th, 2012 at 05:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi, although it is unlikely that any developer read this (they read launchpad), I'd like to second the experience and arguments of the OP. I also tried hard to use ubuntu one, but choosed dropbox.

In my case, it was mainly a matter of speed. UbO took forever to synchonize even small files. I look forward to try it again in Precise. Let's hope for the best
    What's even more important than free software? - OPEN FORMATS.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Ubuntu One should have a KDE client

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntuone-client/+bug/375145

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Currently, for choosing Dropbox over UbuntuOne
    • Cross-platform. I know UbuntuOne does have a Windows client but the last version I tried was not very good and only synchronized the UbuntuOne folder, nothing else. Also, at home I go between 3 different distros AND Windows XP and Windows 7. The ability to install Dropbox, point it to my account and let it go and synchronize is a great benefit with trying distro after distro.
    • I cannot speak about speed (my slow bandwidth is probably a bigger influence), but the "sync-over-LAN" feature is a very powerful feature that allows me to more easily synchronize my Dropbobx with a new (Linux) installation without it all having to go over my (as mentioned, slow) internet connection!
    • KDE integration. It isn't perfect, but it works alright enough.
    • "Cloud Save" extension for Chrome/Chromium allows copying a file directly to Dropbox through the browser.

That being said, some of the features I do like with UbuntuOne is
    • Synchronize any folder in the home directory, not just files under the "UbuntuOne" folder.
    • The idea, now seemingly abandoned, of synchronizing bookmarks, contacts and notes.
    • It's related to Canonical.
    • Integrated with Ubuntu One Music Store.
    • From what I have heard, the Android App allows pictures taken with the phone to automatically try synchronizing with your UbuntuOne accout. Therefore if you loose your camera you may not have lost all of your pictures if it is allowed to synchronize with UbuntuOne
    • DejaDup can back up the system to an UbuntuOne account very easily

If I was somebody who only used Ubuntu, or only used Ubuntu, Windows and/or Android then UbuntuOne would likely work for me since I install Ubuntu, log in with my credentials and it's all synchronizing!

Maybe if they at least fully supported Kubuntu that would counter some of my situations...
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

Cool Re: Why I chose Dropbox

I am very pleased with Ubuntu One. No host large amount of data in the cloud so I have no problems knowing exactly how much space I have available for upload. In conclusion I say the people at Canonical further.

Beans

I tried and tried with ubuntu one when it was first released but eventually gave up as it was too buggy at the time.
    More recently I haven't tried it because I have been a KDE/Kubuntu user and it just didn't seem KDE friendly.

I am moving over to Unity now (for the time being, at least) and am looking at possibly giving it a go and would be interested in any comparison charts between ubuntu one and dropbox (which I have been using without issues for some time)?

I am interested in the deja-dup backup to ubuntu one and the android upload to ubuntu one features I must say.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have used U1, and it's not a bad option at all. However, I can not use it for off-site storage for my servers. It's not compatible with CLI-only enviornments. In my particular case, I ended up using Dropbox becuase it is capable or running/syncing in a CLI only enviornment. Honestly, I find it disapointing that U1 is unable to since with at least Ubuntu servers (which by default are CLI only) I think either is a good choice tho, assuming you're either running Ubuntu or Windows.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

i would like to +1 the OP and add that windows port is not really good. i decided to use it via web. and the usage is limited (a file here and there i want to share...). I too use KDE and haven't tried it there yet. will give it a try.

It seems i should give dropbox a try. i too am hoping that 12.04 brings an improved UbuntuOne experience.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    i would like to +1 the OP and add that windows port is not really good. i decided to use it via web. and the usage is limited (a file here and there i want to share...). I too use KDE and haven't tried it there yet. will give it a try.

It seems i should give dropbox a try. i too am hoping that 12.04 brings an improved UbuntuOne experience.
    Under your avatar, it says you run Kubuntu 10.10. Assuming your 12.04 means Kubuntu 12.04, I can tell you that it is not easy to run U1 under Kubuntu Beta-1, but it is very easy to create an plasmoid icon (is that the right term?) to start the one-line shell script to start the daemon to run DropBox. I click it when I want to replicate. Then 'it just works'. In fact, now that I am used to running it that way, I am not certain I care if DropBox improves their KDE / Dolphin support.

All that said, if U1 did come up with a decent KDE or command line solution, I would return out of loyalty.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast