Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions regarding CC 2.5

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: The Ubuntu Document Storage Facility Poll

The issue here is compatibility between any resource of Ubuntu Information and the Wiki. If you are successful in achieving a fully open PD liscense, then it creates compatibility issues between those other resources (the UDSF, the Forum, the Official Wiki, and any other resource) with this compliancy problem, how do you in affect choose to remedy this situation? Liscenses are incompatible in their current state from what I know, and if you go to fully open PD liscense with no attrib, it still makes them incompatible? Or is the solution on your part a more larger element of exerted control, just as Henrik made as a statement in his post on the UDSF Poll.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KingBahamut
    The issue here is compatibility between any resource of Ubuntu Information and the Wiki. If you are successful in achieving a fully open PD liscense, then it creates compatibility issues between those other resources (the UDSF, the Forum, the Official Wiki, and any other resource) with this compliancy problem, how do you in affect choose to remedy this situation? Liscenses are incompatible in their current state from what I know, and if you go to fully open PD liscense with no attrib, it still makes them incompatible?
    I don't really want to rehearse the discussion about choice of license here, because it's been done on that specification and at length in the Community Council meetings. I've set out the basic reasons against an attribution licence on this thread (it would mean that derived works from the wiki would be impossible). Obviously many licenses are incompatible, and the discussion about the most appropriate one will continue.
    Or is the solution on your part a more larger element of exerted control, just as Henrik made as a statement in his post on the UDSF Poll.
    I don't understand what you mean by this.

Matt

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Im asking you , how you intend to remedy the incompatiblity of liscenses. You can take data all you like from the forums but have to attrib back to original source. This is clearly something that wont happen because of your own admission about the undesirability of an Attribution liscense. So then Im asking you, what do you intend to do to remedy the relationship between Wiki and other outside resources? Unless you have the ability to change all the liscenses in this situation.

Beans

Im asking you , how you intend to remedy the incompatiblity of liscenses. You can take data all you like from the forums but have to attrib back to original source. This is clearly something that wont happen because of your own admission about the undesirability of an Attribution liscense. So then Im asking you, what do you intend to do to remedy the relationship between Wiki and other outside resources? Unless you have the ability to change all the liscenses in this situation.
    There isn't a solution to incompatible licenses, that I'm aware of, apart from getting the permission of the author to relicense the material.

By the way, just to be clear, there isn't a problem with attributing forum authors if we take material from the forum to the wiki. The problem is that the CC BY license requires that the same license be carried over to the wiki, and derivative works of the wiki would then have to attribute each author of the wiki based material, which is not possible, for the reasons I've mentioned. We want to give people the possibility of freely using the wiki material.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I can admire that, but at the same time I believe in the desirablity to preserve someones own personal Picasso without it being marred by someone elses ideas.

Beans

I can admire that, but at the same time I believe in the desirablity to preserve someones own personal Picasso without it being marred by someone elses ideas.
    Yeah, that's what websites are for Wikis have the opposite function: getting to the best possible result by everyone throwing in their 2 cents.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12