Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help to Recover Lost NTFS Drive.

Beans

Help to Recover Lost NTFS Drive.

Hi

I'm unable to mount my Seagate external h/d following a failed attempt to upgrade to 11.10. The system can see it - but is unable to mount it. Here is some terminal output:-

<sudo mount /media/sdb>

and the response was:-

<NTFS signature is missing.
    Failed to mount '/dev/sdb': Invalid argument
    The device '/dev/sdb' doesn't have a valid NTFS>

However, the drive mounts OK on my friend's windoze xp m/c and the data is accessible

I would like to recover this drive and use it on my Ubuntu. Could someone help please? I need some good terminal code.

Thanks in advance

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Help to Recover Lost NTFS Drive.

Please post the output of the following commands
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu
    and
    Code:
    cat /etc/fstab
    That will make it easier to help.

Beans

Thanks

Here is the output of <sudo fdisk -lu>

Disk /dev/sda: 40.0 GB, 40007761920 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4864 cylinders, total 78140160 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x0008966e

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 63 74846834 37423386 83 Linux
    /dev/sda2 74846835 78140159 1646662+ 5 Extended
    /dev/sda5 74846898 78140159 1646631 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/sdb: 2000.3 GB, 2000398934016 bytes
    1 heads, 63 sectors/track, 62016336 cylinders, total 3907029168 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x00d34d04

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sdb1 * 63 3907024127 1953512032+ 7 HPFS/NTFS

__________________________________________________ _______________

And here is the output of < cat /etc/fstab>

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    # /dev/sda1
    UUID=4c91519a-d6d3-4cec-aa10-afb3bfa5c274 / ext3 relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # /dev/sda5
    UUID=e8a5d197-cfe9-4082-86bb-accd50dad67d none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

__________________________________________________ _______________________________

I cant see the external drive listed in /etc/fstab - is that what's wrong? Thanks for helping

Beans
    Hidden!

You need not have it (or should not have it) in your fstab file.

You can read from
    Code:
    man mount
    Code:
           The standard form of the mount command, is
                 mount -t type device dir
    So in your case try
    Code:
    sudo mkdir -p /mnt/sdb1
    sudo mount -t auto /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1
    But probably you can also [auto]mount it by trying to browse to it with your file browser (Nautilus, Konqueror, Thunar depending of your flavour of Ubuntu).

If this does not work, there is something wrong, that I cannot see from your posted output. What happens if you disconnect it from USB, then shut of the power (if power connection), then reconnect the power and finally reconnect it to a USB port? If no luck, try another USB port! Sometimes USB ports are bad.
    Last edited by sudodus; February 25th, 2012 at 01:15 PM. Reason: it should be: sudo mount -t auto /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1

Beans

hi Sudotus

I have managed to get the drive to mount using the terminal to add a line to fstab

<gksudo gedit /etc/fstab>

when gedit opened the fstab file, first i saved a backup to "Documents"

then added this code to the bottom of the fstab file

</dev/sdb1 /media/sdb1 ntfs-3g defaults, force 0 0>

I saved the fstab file and tried

<s
    udo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdb1 /media/sdb1
    df -h>

an icon appeared on the desktop "sdb1" - and can open the drive with nautilus and see my data!

The question now is - how can i make it auto boot when i connect the drive to the usb port? usb memory sticks autoboot ok

Beans

Very long back(may be about 3- 4 years) back I had a similar problem. My NTFS partition was not being recognized by WIndows and perhaps Redhat. It was a dual boot partition.
    I could recognize it with slax live and recover the data.
    You can try

Beans

I can get the drive to mount, as described above - but only if i use the terminal and sudo

But would be nice to get it to autoboot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

May i direct your attention to:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DataRecovery
    "Everything that has a beginning, has an end." --an unexpectedly wise wallpaper

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by davesmith View Post
    hi Sudotus

I have managed to get the drive to mount using the terminal to add a line to fstab

<gksudo gedit /etc/fstab>

when gedit opened the fstab file, first i saved a backup to "Documents"

then added this code to the bottom of the fstab file

</dev/sdb1 /media/sdb1 ntfs-3g defaults, force 0 0>

I saved the fstab file and tried

<s
    udo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdb1 /media/sdb1
    df -h>

an icon appeared on the desktop "sdb1" - and can open the drive with nautilus and see my data!

The question now is - how can i make it auto boot when i connect the drive to the usb port? usb memory sticks autoboot ok
    0. If you have the partition in fstab, the computer will try to mount it when booting, and it will be mounted by root (superuser). If you want it to automount afterwards (when you are already logged in), you should not have it in fstab. (I have an external (eSATA) drive in fstab with the option noauto. I do not want to mount it at boot, because it is seldom used. But I want to mount it afterwards, and then can I mount it either manually with sudo mount, or with a 'home-made' kdialog GUI, that can mount and unmount drives.)

1. I want other external drives (USB and eSATA) to automount, so they are not in fstab. This is the case for USB HDDs, flash sticks and flash cards in a card reader, camera as well as mobile phone. These will be automounted in the desktop versions of Ubuntu.

Questions:

- I understand that you have upgraded to Ubuntu 11.10. Is it the 'vanilla' flavour with Unity or gnome 3? Is the file browser Nautilus working? Did it automount this USB HDD before, but not now? Does it work if you boot from a live CD or USB drive?

- If you 'comment away' the drive from fstab (typing # in the first position of the line) and reboot:
    What happens if you unmount (if mounted), disconnect the USB HDD from USB, then shut of the power (if power connection), wait for 10 seconds, then reconnect the power and finally reconnect it to a USB port? It should automount, otherwise I think there is something wrong with your current version of Ubuntu, and until that is fixed, you might need to use the manual mounting.

But it can be more convenient using an alias for example provided you have created a directory /media/sdb1. Try with and without sudo, maybe it will be better to mount as the normal user.

Code:
    alias msdb1='sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdb1 /media/sdb1'
    but it is better to use the UUID, because the drive may not always be assigned to /dev/sdb1. You find the UUID with the command
    Code:
    sudo blkid
    and you should use that string without the quotes "5921-6A05" like this (your UUID will be different).
    Code:
    alias msdb1='sudo mount -U 5921-6A05 -t ntfs-3g /media/sdb1'
    or
    Code:
    alias msdb1='sudo mount -U 5921-6A05 -t auto /media/sdb1'
    So use the command msdb1 (or select another unique name if you prefer to mount the drive!

Edit: using the alias command in a terminal lasts only until the terminal is closed, but if you enter the command into ~/.bashrc (at the other aliases) it will be part of the environment for all future terminal windows.
    Last edited by sudodus; February 25th, 2012 at 05:03 PM. Reason: more about alias

Beans

Sudodus

I very much appreciate your help this afternoon. Thank you.

However, I cannot get any of the code to automount my Seagate drive - yet.

To answer your questions, prior to the attempt to upgrade to 11.10 the drive was working fine. However, the upgrade was unsuccessful as the m/c repeatedly hung during the install. The drive was connected during the ugrade - but at one stage the m/c locked up.

So I re-installed the old system which went well - except the drive will not automount.

However, will the entry in fstab the drive mounts ok during boot, an icon appears on the desktop, i can write and copy data. But it needs <sudo umount/dev/sdb1> to unmount it.

I think the drive is ok but something somewhere prevents it from automounting. Other media automount ok, another usb drive, a memory stick, my camera.

Maybe we should start from the begining!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast