Thread: VM's - 1 as a server?

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wink VM's - 1 as a server?

Is it actually "doable" to put Ubuntu server edition in a virtual machine in my Ubuntu installation? It doesn't have to be great, but my new machine is 8-core and I have 16GB of memory, so there should be plenty to set up a vm with more than enough resources. This vm wouldn't be for media serving, etc. - just to mess with the server edition and perhaps try to back up my laptop and other PC's to the new machine.

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Beans

Re: VM's - 1 as a server?

Yes, no problem.

The only you can't do - AFAIK - is running a VM in a VM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Go for it. There are probably more servers in the world running as virtualised instances than on bare metal these days.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by anewguy View Post
    Is it actually "doable" to put Ubuntu server edition in a virtual machine in my Ubuntu installation? It doesn't have to be great, but my new machine is 8-core and I have 16GB of memory, so there should be plenty to set up a vm with more than enough resources. This vm wouldn't be for media serving, etc. - just to mess with the server edition and perhaps try to back up my laptop and other PC's to the new machine.

Thanks in advance!

Dave
    My home server is an old Athlon X2 with 4GB ram. The server itself is running Ubuntu Server, sharing a bunch of directories via NFS and Samba. The server also has KVM+libvirt, and hosts the following single-purpose Virtual Machines:

• Apt-cacher-ng - Caching apt packages. Somewhat useful if you have >1 machine running the same distro.
    • Askozia - an asterisk-based appliance that runs my home phone.
    • Mediatomb - A UPNP server that shares media over the network. I have it configured to do live transcoding for formats my PS3 doesn't understand. This server alone has 2048MB ram assigned to it.
    • Legacy - This is an image of my old stand-alone server, with a few things I haven't split off to single-purpose VMs yet (openvpn, etc).

I have not had any performance issues yet, and I'm doing media transcoding on years old hardware (Not sure of the exact age, but I got the CPU and motherboard very cheap, and more than four years ago). You should have no difficulty.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sanderj View Post
    Yes, no problem.

The only you can't do - AFAIK - is running a VM in a VM.
    Depends on the hypervisor. KVM can be nested on AMD, though apparently there are still some issues on Intel. VMWare's ESXi 5 can host an additional ESXi 5 instance, but that nested instance can only run 32-bit VMs.

Unsure about Virtualbox or VMWare's desktop products.

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wink Re: VM's - 1 as a server?

Jeez, do I feel stupid! Virtualized servers - like I haven't heard of that a zillion times! Thanks for waking me up on that one - it won't be a problem at all.

Thanks all!

Dave