Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to make a linux distro

Beans

Question How to make a linux distro

I think this is the right place to post this. Me and two of my friends want to create our own distro. They are experienced in programming and I only know python and a am learning BASIC. If we actually do this, will we have to code most of it ourselves or should we be able to borrow most of the code from another distro?
    Also, what exactly are the component of an OS?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How to make a linux distro

Define "distro".

EDIT: More precisely, what exactly do you want to do? What is it with existing "distros", whatever that means, that you dislike so much that you want to make your own?
    Last edited by Bachstelze; February 25th, 2012 at 06:11 AM.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by 19jon View Post
    I think this is the right place to post this. Me and two of my friends want to create our own distro. They are experienced in programming and I only know python and a am learning BASIC. If we actually do this, will we have to code most of it ourselves or should we be able to borrow most of the code from another distro?
    Read here: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/

Good luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by 19jon View Post
    You can make a custom SUSE, Ubuntu, or Fedora (I am not sure about fedora) distro using some tools.
    VHDL and C FTW

Designing a custom CPU based on MIPS

Beans

Most people just take an existing distro and modify it. If you want to make one from scratch, then you need to read "Linux From Scratch". However, while you can make a distro, keeping it working and up-to-date is more work then 3 people can handle.

BTW, Linux is mostly C/C++, although there is plenty of Python and Java around. However, there is no BASIC or whatsoever. If you want to go into Linux, BASIC is a bad choice.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by 3Miro View Post
    BTW, Linux is mostly C/C++, although there is plenty of Python and Java around. However, there is no BASIC or whatsoever. If you want to go into Linux, BASIC is a bad choice.
    +1 for learning something from what might be loosely described as the "C" family of languages.

Although I've seen BASIC mentioned on the forum from time to time - and there are versions available that work with Ubuntu - it doesn't seem to be used that much by those who frequent this forum.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    +1 for learning something from what might be loosely described as the "C" family of languages.

Although I've seen BASIC mentioned on the forum from time to time - and there are versions available that work with Ubuntu - it doesn't seem to be used that much by those who frequent this forum.
    I think at this point BASIC has only educational purpose to help people get into programming. I don't think BASIC has anything to offer to a person who already knows Python. I may be wrong, but I would like to know of a real program that is written in BASIC.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

<quote>
    I may be wrong, but I would like to know of a real program that is written in BASIC.
    </quote>

Whilst I accept that it is not sensible to write an operating system using BASIC, I cannot let 3Miro's comment go unchallenged. The problem with BASIC is a lack of standards. You may look at one version of BASIC and decide that it cannot be used to write real software but that is not the end of it. Suspect as the TIOBE index is, it must give you a feeling for the huge legacy of BASIC applications in all industry especially the financial industry. As an aside, I see that TIOBE now separates Visual Basic .Net from other generic BASICs. It will be informative to see how it progresses up the list. Incidentally 'Visual BASIC' still occupies a position well above Python in the TIOBE list.

Anyway to answer the question with 3 interesting examples:

1) Guygle: a web-centric GIS (http://www.guygle.net) written using Gambas. A brief synopsis in English:

Guygle is a web application made by the ASAP company that can manage any sort of network or geographical data. It has tons of features:
    Uses Google Maps to display the data and geolocalize it.
    Data can be filled from any PDA, with eventually a camera, a GPS, a barcode reader...
    Objects can be tagged with RFID chips.
    Can track people or vehicles, provided they carry a specific tracking device.
    The database is fully customizable.
    Data can be exported in OpenOffice, Microsoft Excel or Google Earth.
    Human-like syntax queries.
    Can generate PDF documents.
    ...and so on.
    Guygle was used for developing the following applications:
    - call centre.
    - clean-up network management system.
    - waste collect management system.
    - road sign management system for Paris & Annecy (two French cities).
    - car and truck tracking system.
    - sales offer management system.

2) Domotiga: Home automation software written in Gambas (http://www.domotiga.nl)

3) Craft Integrated Electronics Suite (CIES) from Azimuth Inc written in RealBASIC (http://www.realsoftware.com/community/navy-azimuth.php)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by dwhitney67 View Post
    Word of warning on LFS: I spent literally about 24 hours building the vanilla LFS itself (no modifications) - and LFS is about the easiest way out

Don't give up though; there have been people who have completed the LFS book, and made their own distro with it.
    There are 10 different kinds of people:
    Those who understand binary numbers
    Those who don't
    Free/open-source game development kit: http://openblox.sourceforge.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by DangerOnTheRanger View Post
    there have been people who have completed the LFS book, and made their own distro with it.
    Like? It takes a lot more than "the LFS book" to make a distro that's not just another distro with different packages installed by default.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast