Thread: NVIDIA vs Radeon

Question NVIDIA vs Radeon

Among these two video cards, what should I choose for better compatibility with Linux?

- Placa de Vídeo NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M (Optimus)
    - Placa de Vídeo AMD Radeon HD 6470M

Both on a PC with an Intel Core i7 that comes with a built-in graphics card Intel HD Graphics 3000, and I should be able to switch between the external card and built. This being, what the best choice to avoid problems?

Thank you and sorry for english!

Beans

Re: NVIDIA vs Radeon

I actually have been researching this today since I am considering adding a graphics card to my own computer (I am running on integrated graphics, Intel HD 2000). I was debating between the AMD Radeon 6870 and the GeForce GTX 560.

It seems that although in the past the radeon support hasn't been too good, the HD 6000 series seems to have very good drivers for linux and works very well. The AMD Radeon series of cards also seems to give you more bang for your buck sometimes.

NVIDIA seems to have a good reputation for linux support, but the drivers are closed source usually (?? not sure about that...). They are sometimes more expensive and in the case of the GTK 560, it didn't have the best performance compared to other cards.

I would recommend a good google search. The battle between AMD Radeon vs. NVIDIA is a long one and is pretty well documented.

Question Re: NVIDIA vs Radeon

Thanks for the answer.

I heard that both boards have good driver for linux, but I'm interested in knowing if I will be able to switch easily (without having to restart X or set in BIOS) between the use of one of these cards with integrated graphics from Intel , which is important in notebooks due to power consumption.