Thread: Installing Outlook with wine

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Installing Outlook with wine

Hi,

I'd like to use Outlook 2007, as I now wanted to comletely switch from Windows to ubuntu (yay!)
    When I installed it everything went fine. The only thing I didn't do was typing the activation key, but I also have done that in windows already and there it was no problem, the key was just asked befor Outlook started.

I have already looked on the winehq site, and there were some different opinions on Outllok with wine, someone talked about crossover and that it would work fine then, but I don't know what I would have to do with crossover. Has someone on here already tried to install MS Office to ubuntu?

Thanks for any help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

WasMeHere is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Re: Installing Outlook with wine

Wine is free but Crossover costs money, as far as I understand. Do you really want this? I mean, there are several nice email native linux clients. I use Thunderbird.

If you want Outlook, maybe you can reuse your Windows license in a virtual machine inside linux, and run Outlook and any other Windows specific software from there. I have VirtualBox with Windows XP, and use it seldom now, but it works without problems.

Have fun finding out
    Olle

Beans
    Distro

Hi,

Thanks for your reply!
    I really want to use outlook, I have tried thunderbird a few years ago, but when I first used outlook i was really imressed how good it was. Especially I like the export function which wasn't available in TB at that time. If you use TB, can you tell me about the export functions it has? I love the way outlook does it with the .pst files because its really easy and all mail programs accept it to import from ( i used to have evince on my ubuntu system, which could import the mail and as far as i reber TB was also able to import pst files)

If crossover costs money them ill first try it with Virtualbox but im afraid that this will be too much for my old computer, its a intel P4 with 3ghz and 1.5gn ram, will it be able to run lubuntu and vitualbox with outlook?
    I already had to switch from ubuntu to lubuntu, because ubuntu was so laggy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

I'd like to use Outlook 2007, as I now wanted to comletely switch from Windows to ubuntu
    First of all, using OUTLOOK is NOT switching from Windows -- it is remaining tied TO Windows.

Second, you're simply out of luck -- it will not work.

See the page below:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...ication&iId=34
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cheatos View Post
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply!
    I really want to use outlook, I have tried thunderbird a few years ago, but when I first used outlook i was really imressed how good it was. Especially I like the export function which wasn't available in TB at that time. If you use TB, can you tell me about the export functions it has? I love the way outlook does it with the .pst files because its really easy and all mail programs accept it to import from ( i used to have evince on my ubuntu system, which could import the mail and as far as i reber TB was also able to import pst files)

If crossover costs money them ill first try it with Virtualbox but im afraid that this will be too much for my old computer, its a intel P4 with 3ghz and 1.5gn ram, will it be able to run lubuntu and vitualbox with outlook?
    I already had to switch from ubuntu to lubuntu, because ubuntu was so laggy.
    Yes, Lubuntu is good, particularly for middleaged to old computers, that still work. I think it might work with VirtualBox, but definitely better if you have 2 GB of RAM, which is what I have, but my cpu is AMD athlon 64-bit dual 2.2 GHz '4400+' from 2008.

I use Thunderbird Import Export Tool (an add-on) which makes it possible to import for example Outlook files and export even to gmail accounts (imap) on the google server.
    http://nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/mboximport-en.html
    Last edited by WasMeHere; February 25th, 2012 at 09:37 PM. Reason: 8) --/--> sunglasses

Beans
    Distro

Okay, I'll give it a try with the virtualbox, thank you for your help.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cheatos View Post
    Okay, I'll give it a try with the virtualbox, thank you for your help.
    You are welcome,
    and good luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Felt the same way as the OP when I started with Linux. Would NEVER consider going back now to Windows or its software.

Been on Linux since 2007, wow is it really five years and things move on. Dropbox was invented, that's where my files go and Gmail evolved and that's where I live now, in the Cloud!
    Alan

Saddleworth, Manchester (UK).