Thread: Can't find access to the hard disc

Beans

Can't find access to the hard disc

I used v11.04 on a CD for a while and was able to reach my Windows docs via a menu bar at the top of the 'Home' window.

Now that I have installed v11.10 alongside Windows, this menu bar does not appear. I can find no way to access my Windows files.

Can anyone help?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Can't find access to the hard disc

Welcome to the forum!

It sounds as though your 11.04 CD live session was defaulting back to the classic gnome desktop, but with your Ubuntu 11.10 installation you are now getting the Unity desktop.

Look near the top of the launcher (dock) on the left - the orange folder icon. If you hover your mouse pointer over it, the popup text says "Home Folder". Click on that and a nautilus file browser will open showing your home contents in the main pane. In the left pane you will see your internal partitions which you can mount by clicking on them. This replaces the Places menu in the classic gnome desktop.

For more on how to use the Unity desktop in 11.10, this is a good start:

https://help.ubuntu.com/11.10/ubuntu-help/index.html
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Thanks for that. Will experiment more tomorrow.

Beans

Got it, thank you. It was there under 'Host' all the time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by sundit1 View Post
    Got it, thank you. It was there under 'Host' all the time.
    I was wondering whether you had wubi, but you said "I have installed v11.10 alongside Windows" in your OP which suggested a conventional dual-boot installation with Ubuntu on its own partition. Since you are finding your Windows partition under /host then you must have a Wubi install after all.

You might find this link helpful:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide

Good luck.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.