Thread: Can't install Ubuntu 11.10 on HP Omnibook 6000

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Exclamation Can't install Ubuntu 11.10 on HP Omnibook 6000

Hi all,
    I can't seem to be able to get Ubuntu 11.10 instillation to boot off an Ubuntu CD (the CD isn't faulty as I've used it on lots of other PC's). I'm also relatively confident that there's no hardware problems with the laptop as it's designed to run Windows 2000 which uses just as many resources as Ubuntu (from experience) so I'm kaffuffled, if that's the right word, and if it's in the English dictionary. Comletely Kaffuffled.

Any replies at all would be much appreciated, even any random suggestions you can throw at me other than to get better, more new hardware (as I do have, I'm fixing this as a birthday present for somebody )

Thanks very much

P.S I'm uploading a full video of the boot sequence and stuff in 720p in about an hour so you can see what's happening (which is alien to me) in detail.
    Thanks in advance for all replies, & if I helped, you're welcome

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Can't install Ubuntu 11.10 on HP Omnibook 6000

Why do my posts keep disappearing???
    "Everything that has a beginning, has an end." --an unexpectedly wise wallpaper

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Is the install crashing or are you having trouble getting it to start?
    Frank Comstock http://frankssite.com frank@frankssite.com
    Custom Machine: CPU: Intel i5 2500K Ram: 8gb pc1333
    SSD: (128gb and 64gb) HD: 1.5TB GPU: ATI HD 6770
    Ubuntu user number # 34128

Beans
    Distro

@fcomstoc I'm having trouble getting it to boot to the screen where you select to either try Ubuntu live or install, I just get random text.

@roelforg Sorry, I accidentally did the thread in multiple topics as I thought it hadn't posted lol, you've been replying under "Insilllation & Upgrades" and "Hardware & laptops", we'll use this as the primary thread now lol - sorry for any confusion.

Also, in reply to your other comment, I'll try the paperclip thing now. And I didn't realise the text is meant to be there for a while, I only left it for a few minutes so I'll let it run for an hour or so (it's 700MHz processor and under 256MB RAM, so yeah...).

Thanks very much

P.S - 88% uploaded video

Beans
    Distro

Beans

Your system (700 Mhz, 256 MB RAM) is below Ubuntu system specs; see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...emRequirements

So my advice: don't bother to try to install Ubuntu.

FYI: I have Ubuntu on my netbook with 1+ GHZ and 1GB RAM, and even that is slow.
    I'm typing this on a 2+ GHZ dual core CPU with 4GB RAM and that's very fast.

So get better hardware for Ubuntu. Or wait for the comments that will now appear that will tell you you can run Linux on any hardware, and ask those posters how, especially the GUI with a webbrowser ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by greenblob View Post
    @fcomstoc I'm having trouble getting it to boot to the screen where you select to either try Ubuntu live or install, I just get random text.

@roelforg Sorry, I accidentally did the thread in multiple topics as I thought it hadn't posted lol, you've been replying under "Insilllation & Upgrades" and "Hardware & laptops", we'll use this as the primary thread now lol - sorry for any confusion.

Also, in reply to your other comment, I'll try the paperclip thing now. And I didn't realise the text is meant to be there for a while, I only left it for a few minutes so I'll let it run for an hour or so (it's 700MHz processor and under 256MB RAM, so yeah...).

Thanks very much

P.S - 88% uploaded video
    Yeah, i always pick the thread from the "New Posts" menu.
    Explains a lot....

EDIT: Please close the other threads to prevent confusion for others.
    "Everything that has a beginning, has an end." --an unexpectedly wise wallpaper

Beans
    Distro

Thumbs down Re: Can't install Ubuntu 11.10 on HP Omnibook 6000

Quote Originally Posted by roelforg View Post
    Yeah, i always pick the thread from the "New Posts" menu.
    Explains a lot....

EDIT: Please close the other threads to prevent confusion for others.
    Will do, sorry about that :/

And thanks all, and yh I know I have a custom built Dell Dimension 5100 with Pentium 4 @ 3.0GHz dual core 64 bit and 4GB of DDR2 @ 800MHz and an Nvidia 256MB Graphics card @~1.3GHz and even windows is fast, and Ubuntu F###ING FLIES

I LOOOOOOVE LINUX, LONG LIVE TUX