Thread: Total novies needs Win TV PVR 150 help

Beans

Question Total novies needs Win TV PVR 150 help

Hi all,

I am a total novice and was going to post in beginners but given the video issue, I thought it might be better here.

I used to run 8.04 (I think) and my Win TV PVR 150 card worked fine with TV time. When I upgraded to 10.04 LTS it won't work. TV time just opens and closes quickly when I start it. I think I read something about that not being supported on 10.04 so I tried TV viewer but that doesn't even start up. Click on it, does nothing. Me TV tells me there's no devices there.

Like I said, I'm very new at all of this and on 8.04 things just "Worked" so I don't know what I should be looking at or where.

Can anyone help?

thanks!

Beans

Re: Total novies needs Win TV PVR 150 help

I found this thread and was able to get it to work on VLC

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1734916

which is a great step forward for me but still TV-viewer doesn't start up and I don't want to use a command line to change channels. I actually have a remote for the TV card that used to work and I'd like to get working again as I'm often sitting across the room.

Also, I need to be able to schedule recordings (through a GUI preferably).

How should I be going about this?

I just ran "tvtime" from a command line and get:

michele@michele-linux:/etc$ tvtime
    Running tvtime 1.0.2.
    Reading configuration from /etc/tvtime/tvtime.xml
    Reading configuration from /home/michele/.tvtime/tvtime.xml
    xvoutput: No XVIDEO port found which supports YUY2 images.

*** tvtime requires hardware YUY2 overlay support from your video card
    *** driver. If you are using an older NVIDIA card (TNT2), then
    *** this capability is only available with their binary drivers.
    *** For some ATI cards, this feature may be found in the experimental
    *** GATOS drivers: http://gatos.souceforge.net/
    *** If unsure, please check with your distribution to see if your
    *** X driver supports hardware overlay surfaces.

So I don't know what that means or what to do about it....

thanks!
    Last edited by watson524; February 23rd, 2012 at 11:22 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by watson524 View Post

but still TV-viewer doesn't start up
    What about the TV-Remote I linked to in my tutorial? You need to have java installed, and right click the tv-remote file, properties>open wth>java. And btw, changing channels via command line is not so bad. You don't have to retype the whole command each time, (leave a terminal open) just hit the up arrow and it will repeat what you previously input in the terminal, and then you only have to backspace twice and put in the new channel #.
    Last edited by wolfen69; February 24th, 2012 at 03:35 AM.

Beans

Forgive me for being very new at all this. I did look at that (and still might use it) but that doesn't let me change the channel from across the room like the remote that came with my card does. So let's say I get a client call (this is all in my office where I have my work laptop, a windoze machine and my main linux box) and need to hit mute quick. I have to go over to the other machine and do that. Where before I was able to use the remote from afar.

Also - using VLC won't give me the ability to schedule recordings will it? Or can I do a cron job or something for that?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by watson524 View Post
    Forgive me for being very new at all this. I did look at that (and still might use it) but that doesn't let me change the channel from across the room like the remote that came with my card does. So let's say I get a client call (this is all in my office where I have my work laptop, a windoze machine and my main linux box) and need to hit mute quick. I have to go over to the other machine and do that. Where before I was able to use the remote from afar.

Also - using VLC won't give me the ability to schedule recordings will it? Or can I do a cron job or something for that?
    You could get a wireless keyboard with multimedia capabilities and use that to mute.

You can get your remote control to work, but it's been a while since I've done it, and don't remember how off hand. This will get you started.

I have used cron for recording, (not as hard as it might seem) but my favorite was TV-Viewer. Did you check the ReadMe (installation notes) for tv-viewer? You can't just click it to run it.

Beans

I will check out the remote link and the install notes. I swear when I had it on 8.04 I did just click on it to run it. Maybe I'm remembering things incorrectly. I'll have a look at things hopefully tomorrow afternoon (otherwise it'll be a bit over a week as I'll be away for a week) and see what I can get sorted. Thanks for the links.

Beans

I'm not actually seeing anything about how to run it http://tv-viewer.sourceforge.net/med...n:Installation

I didn't do the installation like that because I just got it from the repository and it did the install on its own (I think, again, very new at this).

I found here http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...9-10-a-775704/

where it's something with a bug. I thought I would have grub 2 since I'm on Lucid and that's what Karmic used but I don't have a file /etc/default/grub but I do have /boot/grub/menu.lst

I can't find where to add this GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nomodeset" option tho. Could I just type that at the start of the file and then save, and run the grub update per the article?
    Last edited by watson524; February 24th, 2012 at 03:41 PM.