Thread: top menu bar missing

Beans

Angry top menu bar missing

On all my windows, the File, Edit, View, etc. are all gone on all windows except maximized windows.

This is a big problem. Especially when I try to use gimp.

Using Ubuntu 11.10 dual boot Win xp

It has been like this ever since I first installed.

Is it supposed to do this? Do I just need to download the theme? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by shelvacu; February 24th, 2012 at 09:52 AM. Reason: removing useless php stuff

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: top menu bar missing

Hi!, shelvacu,

If you are logged in to Ubuntu, or to Ubuntu 2D. all Window menu bars for the active Window, are displayed in the top bar - Global Menu - accessed by placing the mouse cursor on the top bar.

That's normal in Unity for 11.10.

Edit: If you want the previous display the easy way is to log-in to Gnome Classic, but you may need to install Gnome session fallback to get that option. Look for Gnome Session Manager sub titled 'gnome-session-fallback' in the Ubuntu Software center.

Chao!, bogan.
    Last edited by bogan; February 24th, 2012 at 11:41 AM. Reason: note added
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans

I ran into this problem too. I'm very new to Linux, in fact Ubuntu 11.10 is the first/only install I've tried. The menu-bar situation was confusing because I had see screen shots of programs like gedit with menu-bars.

Discovered menus in the top-bar last night and logged on to this forum to post about this topic. Then found this thread and wished I had a long time ago. Thank you bogan for taking the time to offer a simple answer. I think people answering questions often assume too much, but that criticism aside, I appreciate those question answerers immensely.
    Last edited by Barnt; March 6th, 2012 at 07:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi!, Barnt, I trust your Post means your problem is solved, if not, dont hesitate to ask more questions.

I may be 87, but I still remember how difficult it was to find my way through a maze of techno -babble and assumptions that I already knew how to do everything; or at least where and how to find out.

@shelvacu,

If the above Post answered your problem, please mark this Thread as 'Solved'. See 'Thread Tools' at top.

Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!