Thread: any how to for Audio through HDMI ATI Radeon HD 3200 ?

Beans

any how to for Audio through HDMI ATI Radeon HD 3200 ?

well ive got pretty far so far without too many problems, but i still cant get the audio to work through my hdmi cable. ive been using ubuntu for about a year and feel comfortable with it, but xubuntu has been a slight adjustment.

i have the restricted drivers enabled and alsa mixer shows the device IEC958 but there are no volume sliders for it. i cant hit "M" to mute it but unmuting it does nothing.
    aplay -l shows this.

card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: STAC92xx Digital [STAC92xx Digital]
    card 2: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]

its funny that when i boot the machine up i can hear a slight audio "pop" almost like the drivers initiating.. but no sound.

any help is appreciated. if i can just get past this sound issue i will be a very happy camper.

Beans

Re: any how to for Audio through HDMI ATI Radeon HD 3200 ?

I have the ATI Radeon HD 3200 integrated into my motherboard. The audio through HDMI worked straight away with a fresh Intrepid installation.

The things I did do before testing the audio were to turn on the HD audio options in BIOS and then in a terminal I ran alsa-mixer and un-muted the playback mixer. I wasn't given the option of adjusting the volume, but it worked just fine.

I'll look through my setup and see if there is anything else I did to make it work.

Daniel

Beans

thanks for looking, i did run this in the command prompt and got audio.
    Code:
    aplay -D plughw:1,3 tada.wav
    so i know the hdmi audio is working ! i just cant seem to set it as my default audio playback. im not familiar with xubuntu yet. i cant find the volume control. i found the volume settings and alsa mixer, but its not quite the same as ubuntu 's volume control.

i was reading this http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/DigitalOut#MythTV
    and i think i might try to set it as the audio in mythbuntu. i really dont need audio in anything else as this is going to my media center and not a user machine.

seriously , thanks for the help.

Beans

OK, I have just been through this dance as well, here are the steps that I took to get audio to work over HDMI. I hope this saves someone else a few hours!

I have a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H motherboard, BTW.

1. Installed Mythbuntu 8.10 (Ubunto 8.10)

2. Installed the proprietary ATI driver, via the Hardware Drivers control panel.

3. From the command line, ran aticonfig --initial --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf

(** steps 2 & 3 were really just to get X windows working properly with the ATI driver, but I'm pretty sure you need to have the full-on ATI driver going to make all this work. Most probably, you've already gotten that far. **)

3. aplay -l lists audio devices:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC883 Analog [ALC883 Analog]
    card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: ALC883 Digital [ALC883 Digital]
    card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]
    Subdevices: 0/1

...from this, you can see that determine that HDMI out will be plughw:1,3 (that is, card 1, device 3). As mentioned above, it has to be plughw, not just hw.

4. Run sudo alsamixer -c 1

5. There's no option to raise/lower volume, but you can un-mute by hitting 'm'. If you see a box at the bottom of the terminal window with 'mm' in it, you're muted. If it contains '00', you're un-muted.

6. Hit esc to quit.

7. Run aplay on a .wav file to test, like so: sudo aplay -D plughw:1,3 <soundfile>. If your device number was different, use that.

8. Assuming that all works, edit /etc/asound.conf (which may not exist yet), put this in it:

pcm.!default {
    type hw
    card 1
    device 3
    }

Again, use your device numbers. Now the 3200 HDMI is your default audio out.

The Alsa wiki page on Digital Out (http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/DigitalOut#MythTV) was super-helpful.
    Last edited by lglenn; February 9th, 2009 at 02:49 AM.

Beans

this was what i needed for my HTPC.
    thank you. Thank you. Thank you!!!
    i dont have a TV signal, so no myth lovin'

1. Ubuntu Jaunty Minimal
    2. ati driver - method 2 (command line)
    (( /etc/X11/xorg.cong from this post ))
    3. aplay -l lists audio devices: ... exact same as above

Quote Originally Posted by lglenn View Post
    4. Run sudo alsamixer -c 1
    THIS IS THE GOLDEN STEP.
    its missing from all other guides out there !!!

the default [-c 0], that you get with "alsamixer" is Card/Chip= HDA ATI SB / Realtek ALC1200.
    this contains 2x IEC958 + 10 more... but no control for HDMI sound. ???

'aslamixer -c 1' ... Card/Chip= HDA ATI HDMI/ ATI ATI RS690/780 HDMI
    this contains only IEC958 ... unmute ... BINGO!
    4. sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-live + all the deps

bingo-bango a kick-*** HTPC in the living room.
    i was about to crack and replace the mobo with nV
    thanks lglenn for saving me some $$$

Beans

Thanks alot, Iglenn, step 8 did it for me on Xubuntu.

Beans

I'm having the same problem except with the Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H motherboard (ATI graphics). I've done all the steps but I still get stuttering sound (VERY) when viewing over the HDMI connection (which I must use). Please help!

Beans

lglenn, thank you so much for the details. Your directions are still applicable to Oneiric 11.10. I ended up using 'plughw:1,3' with AC3 and DTS enabled in XBMC. Enabling AC3 prior to that would make XBMC throw an "Error initializing sound card" with no audio out.

See also:
    http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title...I_audio_output

Beans

hello all, first time poster, long time fan

I am actually running open SuSE, however this tutorial was very helpful for a newbie such as myself. The only problem I'm having is at the very end when I need to edit etc/asound.conf

in openSuse I have a file called etc/asound-pulse.conf which has the pulse as the default.

So my question is obviously will these two files conflict with each other? Should I just edit the pulse.conf and add/change it's default?

This may be a really stupid question, but as I said, I'm new to linux so please be gentle

Thanks!