Thread: Difference between Gazelle and Serval

Beans

Difference between Gazelle and Serval

What is the difference between the Gazelle model and the Serval models? Other than the Gazelle sepcs not going as high on the customization scale, they both run the same chipset, same size screen same CPUs available, memory, same bits and peices to pick from basically. So, are the contructed the same? Same body and quality, just lower end specs to choose from the on the Gazelle? Do they have the same motherboard?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Difference between Gazelle and Serval

Quote Originally Posted by Therion87 View Post
    What is the difference between the Gazelle model and the Serval models? Other than the Gazelle sepcs not going as high on the customization scale, they both run the same chipset, same size screen same CPUs available, memory, same bits and peices to pick from basically. So, are the contructed the same? Same body and quality, just lower end specs to choose from the on the Gazelle? Do they have the same motherboard?
    Right now, the major difference between the two are the graphics cards avaialable. The Serval features the GTX 580M, which is the fastest Mobile GPU available. On the other hand, the Gazelle has a GTX 560M, which is still a fast card, but nowhere near as fast as the 580M.

Other than that, the Serval uses a full copper cooling system in order to keep the higher-end GPU cool, while the Gazelle uses a hybrid copper/aluminum system, since the full copper isn't necessary with the GTX 560M.

On top of all that, the Gazelle uses a 6.3 amp power supply, while the Serval uses a 10 Amp power supply. Again, this is necessary to power that GPU.

Finally, the Serval has a soft-touch rubberized finish on the palm rest and lid, while the Gazelle uses standard Polycarbonate. The soft-touch finish looks and feels great, and offers slightly better durability.

In total, they're very different machines when it comes to fit an finish. The Gazelle offers high-end performance, and the Serval is high-end inside and out.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Ok that answers my questions mostly. Thanks for the prompt and thorough reply!

Beans

I just got the Gazelle, and I think that I would love the better case provided by the Serval. I use my machine a lot, and I can see that the better finish would last longer. That being said, the Gazelle is already quite heavy, and so is its power adaptor, and I don't know if I'd like the additional weight.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The Serval alone doesn't really weigh any more than the Gazelle. The power adapter adds a pound or so, though.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!