Page 7 of 89 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works

Beans

Re: AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works !

I just bought a Samsung series 7 with Hybrid Intel/AMD graphics.
    AMD 6750M
    Intel HD3000

There doesn't seem to be a solid solution for this at the moment if I'm not mistaken. Could you folks let me know if I'm headed in the right direction...

Ubuntu Precise is the only version with the correct xorg-intel driver but we aren't sure if the maintainer of the stock package has the -sna option enabled.

Does anyone have a ppa to get this thing working in Oneiric or Precise? What would be my best option?

Thanks,
    -J

Beans

I'm also trying to get this to work. I followed the steps that were posted by the OP but when I switch to my Integrated chip and reboot it fails to start up by saying LightDM fails and then it just hangs. I have to reboot into recovery and rerun "aticonfig --initial -f" to force it back to discrete. I would really like to fix this because the fans aren't running properly and my laptop runs very hot. I'm running a Sony VPCSC1AFM which has a 6470M and I believe an Intel 3000 HD.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by miatawnt2b View Post
    I just bought a Samsung series 7 with Hybrid Intel/AMD graphics.
    AMD 6750M
    Intel HD3000

There doesn't seem to be a solid solution for this at the moment if I'm not mistaken. Could you folks let me know if I'm headed in the right direction...

Ubuntu Precise is the only version with the correct xorg-intel driver but we aren't sure if the maintainer of the stock package has the -sna option enabled.

Does anyone have a ppa to get this thing working in Oneiric or Precise? What would be my best option?

Thanks,
    -J
    Hi miatawnt2b, could you post xserver-xorg-video-intel and fglrx version number?

There is a xserver-xorg-video-intel sna enable ppa (post #25)
    https://launchpad.net/~sarvatt/+archive/intel-sna
    Or you can download the version you want from here
    https://launchpad.net/~sarvatt/+arch...-archive-extra

What about "aticonfig --initial -f"? Did it run properly?

Beans

xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.17.0-1ubuntu4

fglrx is not installed under synaptic. I purged all instances of radeon/ati/fglrx in synaptic before installing the catalyst 12.2 package.

After this, my ATI graphics seems to work, but selecting the intel chipset under the catalyst administrative options prompts for a reboot, then upon reboot, x refuses to start. I haven't been able to recover from this. I tried enabling vesa and intel in the xorg.conf, tried reinstalling the catalyst package from command line, tried 'aticonfig --initial' (forgot the -f option)

I was able somehow (cant remember exactly how) to get the login screen back which told me something was working, but upon logon all I got was a black screen. I ended up reinstalling 12.04 from scratch since it was a new build anyhow.

I thought the ppa was just for onieric, not for the 12.04 beta so I never installed anything from the ppa.

Beans

The ppa seems to be for Precise too. If you open the link with your browser you should be able to select "Precise" as filter (default version).

Do you use ubuntu (unity) mode? Did you try with ubuntu classic mode?
    Last edited by pinguinhood; March 19th, 2012 at 06:02 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pinguinhood View Post
    The ppa seems to be for Precise too. If you open the link with your browser you should be able to select "Precise" as filter (default version).

Do you use ubuntu (unity) mode? Did you try with ubuntu classic mode?
    I didn't think to try unity(hate it so first thing I do is install gnome-session)... only classic with compiz.

so I just installed the ppa, and it grabbed the xserver-xorg-video-intel - 2:2.18.0+git20120317.e31d9dac-0ubuntu0sarvatt2~sna

I'm afraid to enable the intel and reboot though given what happened yesterday.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by miatawnt2b View Post
    I didn't think to try unity(hate it so first thing I do is install gnome-session)... only classic with compiz.

so I just installed the ppa, and it grabbed the xserver-xorg-video-intel - 2:2.18.0+git20120317.e31d9dac-0ubuntu0sarvatt2~sna

I'm afraid to enable the intel and reboot though given what happened yesterday.
    =D> Go for it(and good luck!)

Beans

This didn't work for me using an ATI mobility radeon HD 5470 and a first generation i5 CPU with integrated graphics controller. I issue aticonfig --initial -f and get a black screen on boot, and have to restore my original xorg.conf file to boot into Ubuntu.

Whats curious is after I have updated xorg it shows both graphics adapters switched on, and if I do an aticonfig --pxl after the aticonfig --initial it shows the discreet GPU active but still will not boot unless I use recovery to restore my original xorg.conf.

Any additional help would be appreciated, I really want my discreet GPU working to game on Ubuntu

Beans

so I Downloaded
    http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/am...x86.x86_64.run

As normal, I run:
    Code:
    $ chmod +x amd-driver-installer-12-2-x86.x86_64.run
    $ ./amd-driver-installer-12-2-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/precise
    $ sudo dpkg -i *.deb
    copied the .debs somewhere for safekeeping.

Builds OK, installs OK.

rebooted.

when it came up,

Code:
    sudo aticonfig --initial -f
    then rebooted again

I added the ppa ppa:sarvatt/intel-sna

upgraded, and made sure xserver-xorg-video-intel was installed to the latest ppa version, then I rebooted again.

Code:
    sudo aticonfig --initial -f
    then I reboot again.

Now on the terminal

tried
    Code:
    sudo aticonfig --pxl
    It told me I was using the AMD GPU.

To switch to the Intel gpu I entered this command in a terminal :
    Code:
    sudo aticonfig --px-igpu
    I rebooted. as soon as the machine booted, it told me that ubuntu graphics settings wasn't configured properly. It didn't even let me revert from that window.

I then did ctr alt f1 to get to the command line.
    To switch back to the AMD/ATI gpu I entered this command in a terminal :

Code:
    sudo aticonfig --px-dgpu
    Here is my hardware info
    Code:
    makezan@700Z3A:~$ lspci -nn | grep VGA
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0126] (rev 09)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Seymour [Radeon HD 6400M Series] [1002:6760]
    here is my xorg.conf
    Code:
    Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "aticonfig Layout"
        Screen      0  "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
        Option        "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
        Option        "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
        Option        "DPMS" "true"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
        Driver      "fglrx"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
        Device     "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
        Monitor    "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
            Viewport   0 0
            Depth     24
        EndSubSection
    EndSection
    Questions: I'm I missing something, I'm I supposed to do aticonfig --initial before my reboots?? or after my reboots?
    Code:
    makezan@700Z3A:~$ sudo aticonfig --initial -f 
    Warning: you are intending to clear the configuration infomation which you need to recover to High Performance mode, please reboot your machine to aviod inconsistency
    I already anwered this question for myself. It makes sense. you need to swtich the drivers first before trying to initialize it.

Is there a way to quickly reboot xserver without rebooting, before it was ctrl alt del, and that service gdm restart isn't relevant because now its unity.

How can I get this to Work.
    Last edited by kmas; March 20th, 2012 at 05:01 PM.

Beans

actually I guess xserver-xorg-video-intel didn't install from the PPA.

xserver-xorg-video-intel:
    Depends: xorg-video-abi-12 but it is not installable
    Depends: xserver-xorg-core (>=2:1.11.99) but 2:1.11.4-0ubuntu6 is to be installed

Running 12.04

took a quick look for the depend, but didn't find one for AMD64
    -J

Page 7 of 89 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast