Page 1 of 89 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Lightbulb AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works

If you do want to make the switch possible between your Intel and your AMD graphics cards, then this post is for you. If you do not own a AMD hybrid graphic card, please leave this thread, and post your problems in a thread made for AMD single graphic or Intel single graphic.

Edit: The solution seems not to work with ATI 5xxx graphic cards, try at your own risk.
    Warning: Works only for muxless systems.
    Warning 2: Check if your BIOS is updated, if not update it ! (You will need Windows). This is your computer manufacturer that "implements the switch on your mother card, and modify the video drivers for Windows to work on your computer". If an AMD 6630m (for example) works on a HP computer, this doesn't mean the same video card will work for sure (for example) on a ASUS computer.

Edit bodhi.zazen: Best check hardware compatibility before following this tutorial. If your hardware is not listed as supported, this tutorial will not help you. See http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Hardware

The following solution has been tested on a DELL Vostro 3550, with an AMD 6630m card and an Intel HD 3000 (Sandybridge) card (integrated into a Intel core i5). The version of Ubuntu used is 12.04 LTS (further versions should works too). The system is very stable, and everything works well.
    This tutorial requires the use of the terminal, but still is simple if you're a beginner, you will just have to past some commands on it and press "Enter".
    (Tip for beginners : to past a command on a terminal, just press CTRL+SHIFT+V, it is the same shorcut as usual just don't forget to press SHIFT when pasting).

Before beginning this tutorial, we will suppose you are following it on a fresh install (i.e. You did not install vgaswitchroo or flgrx (via jockey-gtk : The proprietary driver installer application from Ubuntu). Please also install all updates available for your computer before starting (and reboot if you're proposed to).

STEP 1 - Installing latest AMD catalyst drivers :

As I'm writing this the latest version is 12.4, please check this page to know if there is a new version :
    http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide (this also includes the guide to install them).

First we're going to download all the prerequisite packages :
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential cdbs fakeroot dh-make debhelper debconf libstdc++6
    sudo apt-get install dkms libqtgui4 wget execstack libelfg0 dh-modaliases
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic xserver-xorg-core libgcc1
    If you're using Ubuntu 64bits please run those two commands (32bits users don't have to) :
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ia32-libs lib32gcc1 libc6-i386
    cd /usr ; sudo ln -svT lib /usr/lib64
    We can now download the AMD catalyst 12.4 driver :
    Code:
    cd ~/; mkdir catalyst12.4; cd catalyst12.4/
    wget http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/amd-driver-installer-12-4-x86.x86_64.run
    chmod +x amd-driver-installer-12-4-x86.x86_64.run
    And create Ubuntu packages of it :

Code:
    sudo sh ./amd-driver-installer-12-4-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/precise
    Now let's install them :
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i fglrx*.deb
    and configure the Xserver (xorg.conf file) for the first time :
    Code:
    sudo aticonfig --initial -f
    Now reboot your computer.

Test the switch to the discrete card :
    Code:
    sudo aticonfig --px-dgpu
    Then reboot again your computer.

STEP 2 - Enabling, fixing the bug for direct rendering on the integrated card :

Thanks to Niccola for finding the actual fix.

If you ever apply an fglrx update, or your system automatically update fglrx, YOU WILL HAVE to repeat STEP 2, otherwise direct rendering will be missing on integrated gpu (i.e. No Unity 3D or Gnome Shell or Gnome Classic + Compiz on the Intel graphic). If you have an other solution (like loading a script on startup) please post it.

Open the /etc/X11/Xsession.d/10fglrx file with root rights :
    Code:
    gksu gedit /etc/X11/Xsession.d/10fglrx
    If you're using a 32bits system add at the end of 4th line this text : "/usr/lib32/dri/" without the quotes. The file should now look like this :
    Code:
     LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH=/usr/lib/fglrx/dri 
    if [ `uname -m` = 'x86_64' ]; then 
    if [ -d /usr/lib32/fglrx/dri ]; then 
    LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH=${LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH}:/usr/lib32/fglrx/dri:/usr/lib32/dri
    if [ ! -z $LD_LIBRARY_PATH ]; then 
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH: 
    fi 
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}/usr/lib32 
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH 
    fi 
    fi 
    export LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH
    If you're using a 64bits system add at the end of 4th line this text : "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/" without the quotes. The file should now look like this :
    Code:
     LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH=/usr/lib/fglrx/dri 
    if [ `uname -m` = 'x86_64' ]; then 
    if [ -d /usr/lib32/fglrx/dri ]; then 
    LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH=${LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH}:/usr/lib32/fglrx/dri:/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri
    if [ ! -z $LD_LIBRARY_PATH ]; then 
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH: 
    fi 
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}/usr/lib32
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH 
    fi 
    fi 
    export LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH
    Now save the file.

STEP 3 - Enjoy your hybrid graphic system ! :

Reboot your computer to see the changes, it should boot up with the discrete card.

Useful informations, commands :

Power consumption is a lot better now, it seems that my battery last 4 times more with the integrated card, but this isn't still good as in Windows. If someone find or know tricks to decrease power consumption a little more please post it !

I do not recommend to update the catalyst driver once it's installed (if it works), if you really want to upgrade then check this page to find instructions :
    http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu

The AMD driver GUI application doesn't provide settings for screen configuration, but only 3d settings. This is a missing feature.

Switching commands :
    Code:
    aticonfig --pxl # List current activated GPU
    sudo aticonfig --px-dgpu # Activate discrete GPU (High-Performance mode), must re-start X to take effect
    sudo aticonfig --px-igpu # Activate integrated GPU (Power-Saving mode), must re-start X to take effect
    Verify the Open GL's libraries used :
    Code:
    fglrxinfo
    Verify if the direct rendering is used :
    Code:
    glxinfo | egrep render
    Install mesa-utils, and test the card 3d power (compare the fps) :
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install mesa-utils
    glxgears
    If something goes wrong and your computer doesn't boot (i.e. black screen), press CTRL+ALT+F3, log yourself into your account and enter those commands :
    Code:
    sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    sudo startx
    And you should be able to see your desktop.

List of fully supported computers : // Updated 05/16/2012 (American date format).

• ACER 7750g, Intel HD 3000, AMD 6650m, HDMI Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested, VGA Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested

• DELL Inspiron 14R (N4110), Intel HD 3000, AMD 6470m, HDMI Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested, VGA Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested
    • DELL Vostro 3550, Intel HD 3000, AMD 6630m, HDMI Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested, VGA Intel/AMD: working/working

• HP Envy 14t-2000 CTO, Intel HD 3000, AMD 6630m, HDMI Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested, Mini DisplayPort Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested
    • HP ENVY 15-3090CA, Intel HD 3000, AMD 6630m, HDMI Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested, Mini DisplayPort Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested
    • HP Pavilion dm4-2160sf, Intel HD 3000, AMD 6470m, HDMI Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested, VGA Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested
    • HP Pavillion dm4-2110sp, Intel HD 3000, AMD 6470m, HDMI Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested, VGA Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested
    • HP Pavilion dv6-6102sg, Intel HD 3000, AMD 6770m, HDMI Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested, VGA Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested
    • HP Pavilion dv6-6169sl, Intel HD 3000, AMD 6770m, HDMI Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested, VGA Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested
    • HP Pavilion dv6-6178sl, Intel HD 3000, AMD 6770m, HDMI Intel/AMD: working/working, VGA Intel/AMD: working/working
    • HP Pavilion dv6-6192sf, Intel HD 3000, AMD 6770m, HDMI Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested, VGA Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested
    • HP Pavilion dv7-6070ef, Intel HD 3000, AMD 6490m, HDMI Intel/AMD: not tested/working, VGA Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested
    • HP Pavilion g4-1001tx, Intel HD 3000, AMD 6490m, HDMI Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested, VGA Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested
    • HP Probook 4530s, Intel HD 3000, AMD 6490m, HDMI Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested, VGA Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested

• Lenovo e520,Intel HD 3000, AMD 6630m, HDMI Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested, VGA Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested
    • Lenovo G-770,Intel HD 3000, AMD 6650m, HDMI Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested, VGA Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested

• SONY Vaio VPC-SB1S1E, Intel HD 3000, AMD 6470m, HDMI Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested, VGA Intel/AMD: working/working
    • SONY Vaio VPC-SC1AFM/S, Intel HD 3000, AMD 6470m, HDMI Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested, VGA Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested

If you want to add your computer, please do want it (this will help other users), make a post and indicate your configuration like those above.
    I will then add it to the working list.
    I repeat as many people do not get it : "like those above" ! It take you two minutes to write it, this saves me time, and I can update more frequently this thread. Also posts like "It works on HP Pavilion dm4" are USELESS, I won't add a computer with an incomplete computer model number. Exception for computers without a precise model name (example : DELL Vostro 3550, Lenovo e520).

Useful links :
    http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6936730.html You can thanks that guy because his post really helped me to understand how the ati hybrid graphics works.
    http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Fglrx-hybrid-graphics You can also check this Gentoo wiki about hybrid graphics, this is some Gentoo's users that actually found first a solution on how to make AMD hybrid cards to work on Linux.
    Last edited by Alexislavie; June 19th, 2012 at 01:37 PM. Reason: VERSION 2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works !

Hi, can I ask how many Watts are you saving with this? thanks!
    Ubuntu user since 29-OCT-2008 With Ubuntu 8.10

aeronutt is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

"Dell Vostro 3550 computer with a Intel HD 3000 integrated video device and a ATI/AMD 6630M video card"

This is my exact setup, I WILL be trying this...have never gotten it to work prior.

Beans
    Distro

I will post an update about the progress of the package and ppa creation tomorrow.

For now here are outputs from some commands :

With Dedicated GPU :

alexis@Alexis-Vostro:~$ sudo aticonfig --px-dgpu
    PowerXpress info: Diagnostic output from /usr/lib64/fglrx/switchlibglx:
    update-alternatives: avertissement: création de /etc/OpenCL/vendors/amdocl32.icd abandonnée car le fichier associé /usr/lib/fglrx/etc/OpenCL/vendors/amdocl32.icd (du groupe de liens x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf) n'existe pas.

PowerXpress: Discrete GPU is selected (High-Performance mode), please restart Xserver(s) for changes to take effect!
    alexis@Alexis-Vostro:~$ sudo aticonfig --pxl
    PowerXpress: Discrete GPU is active (High-Performance mode).
    alexis@Alexis-Vostro:~$ fglrxinfo
    display: :0.0 screen: 0
    OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon 6600M and 6700M Series
    OpenGL version string: 4.2.11399 Compatibility Profile Context
    With Integrated GPU :

alexis@Alexis-Vostro:~$ sudo aticonfig --px-igpu
    PowerXpress info: Diagnostic output from /usr/lib64/fglrx/switchlibglx:
    update-alternatives: avertissement: création de /etc/OpenCL/vendors/amdocl32.icd abandonnée car le fichier associé /usr/lib/fglrx/etc/OpenCL/vendors/amdocl32.icd (du groupe de liens x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf) n'existe pas.
    alexis@Alexis-Vostro:~$ sudo aticonfig --pxl
    PowerXpress: Integrated GPU is active (Power-Saving mode).

PowerXpress: Integrated GPU is selected (Power-Saving mode), please restart Xserver(s) for changes to take effect!
    alexis@Alexis-Vostro:~$ fglrxinfo
    display: :2.0 screen: 0
    OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Mobile
    OpenGL version string: 1.4 (3.0 Mesa 8.0)
    And here is my xorg.conf :

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "aticonfig Layout"
    Screen 0 "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
    Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
    Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
    Option "DPMS" "true"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
    Driver "fglrx"
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
    Device "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
    Monitor "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 24
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Sda1986 View Post
    Hi, can I ask how many Watts are you saving with this? thanks!
    I didn't test this for the moment, I will do it when the PPA will be ready.
    A thing is obvious it can't be worse than without fglrx and sna because by default the kernel gives power to the two cards but only the Intel one can be used by Xorg.

Beans
    Distro

I have been trying, 4 hours this afternoon to make it work, but sadly xserver-xorg-video-intel version 2.15.901 doesn't work with the latest Catalyst 12.1. Intel's driver 2.17 version works but needs a more recent Xorg version to be installed or compiled.
    I think we will have to wait the release of Ubuntu 12.04 to have a compatible and stable Xorg version.

Although if you are impatient there is a way to install the latest Xorg version on Ubuntu 11.10 by adding those ppas but there are considered as unstable:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:sarvatt/intel-sna
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    Then install the latest fglrx driver following this guide : http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide and you will get Hybrid Graphics on Ubuntu 11.10

I'm sorry, but because the Xorg version used in Ubuntu 11.10 isn't enoughly recent, I can't do anything at that time.

Beans

Unfortunately, the above didn't work for me. I'll keep trying, but it's extremely frustrating that Ubuntu can't support dual graphics for this common hardware. Hopefully, in 12.04.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aeronutt View Post
    Unfortunately, the above didn't work for me. I'll keep trying, but it's extremely frustrating that Ubuntu can't support dual graphics for this common hardware. Hopefully, in 12.04.
    Did you run aticonfig --initial -f after installing the latest Catalyst driver, you should also have uninstalled fglrx if it was alrready installed on your computer.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Alexislavie View Post
    Did you run aticonfig --initial -f after installing the latest Catalyst driver, you should also have uninstalled fglrx if it was alrready installed on your computer.
    Yes, I ran aticonfig --initial -f, and fglrx had never been installed previously. I tried this on my 'test' load of Ubuntu, and now that load will not boot.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aeronutt View Post
    Yes, I ran aticonfig --initial -f, and fglrx had never been installed previously. I tried this on my 'test' load of Ubuntu, and now that load will not boot.
    Go to a tty console example: CTRL+Alt+F3
    Enter your login information.
    sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    startx

It should boot as before.

Page 1 of 89 1231151 ... LastLast