I tried to use these instructions to install the new Catalyst 12.6, which should be appropriate for my Radeon HD 6700M graphics processor.

On a first run-through, X11 fails to work and I need to replace my xorg.conf file with a backup to get a graphic desktop again.

Looking through the installation output, I see lines such as the following with warnings:

update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /etc/OpenCL/vendors/amdocl32.icd because associated file /usr/lib/fglrx/etc/OpenCL/vendors/amdocl32.icd (of link group x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf) doesn't exist.

So, I tried installing opencl by adding the packages opencl-headers and python-pyopencl.

I now see a file /usr/lib/fglrx/etc/OpenCL/vendors/amdocl64.icd . I'm not sure whether this file was there before my attempted addition of OpenCL because I hadn't checked.

Anyway, I was going to test the new setup, so I uninstalled fglrx and then reinstalled. but when I try the line "sudo amdconfig --initial -f", I get "amdconfig: command not found".

Looks like I scrambled something badly when I uninstalled fglrx earlier. According to my locate database, there was previously an amdconfig command in /usr/bin. It's no longer there. There's also one under /user/lib/fglrx/bin. I've tried running that by going to the directory and using sudo ./amdconfig --initial -f . I get "Unable to open /etc/ati/control, please reinstall the driver." I've reinstalled the driver 3 times and still get that error. Have also tried the directions at the following link for fixing the problem, but it doesn't help: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...etely-on-lucid .

Anyway, looks like I can't test the new installation. The dpkg command still gives a warning: "update-alternatives: warning: forcing reinstallation of alternative /usr/lib/nvidia-current/ld.so.conf because link group x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf is broken."