Page 73 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works

This is my bimonthly attempt # 122 to get proprietary ATI /AMD 6850m working.

Now 15 months trying with no success, except with open source default drivers. I have posted over 20 posts here with a lot of help but still no functionality. Here is what I am trying on my second root partition with Raring installed.

Uninstall firstly the current AMD driver with these two commands:
    ∘ sudo sh /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh
    ∘ sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx fglrx_* fglrx-amdcccle* fglrx-dev* xorg-driver-fglrx
    ∘ andrikos 03/30/13 - trying AGAIN
    ‣ sudo apt-get purge fglrx*
    ‣ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:andrikos
    ‣ sudo apt-get update
    ‣ Update the fglrx and intel drivers:
    • sudo apt-get install fglrx xserver-xorg-video-intel
    ‣ Don't forget to enable the fglrx driver
    • sudo aticonfig --initial --force
    and about to reboot - If like all other 100 attempts I expect it to on go to ttf1 (terminal type screen),

If it works I will DEFINITELY post it. But assume it won't and tired of wasting my time. Anyone with sympothy and any novel ideas out their? I would surely like to get this OLD problem fixed.

Cheers, Mark

p.s. Confirmed - it DID NOT work, back to tty1, and removing /etc/Xorg/xorg.conf and startx got me back in with no opengl functionality
    any direct contact to markackerman8@gmail.com would be much appreciated - getting sick of this, arghhh
    Last edited by markackerman8@gmail.com; March 31st, 2013 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Confirm - DID NOT work

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by markackerman8@gmail.com View Post
    This is my bimonthly attempt # 122 to get proprietary ATI /AMD 6850m working.

Now 15 months trying with no success, except with open source default drivers. I have posted over 20 posts here with a lot of help but still no functionality. Here is what I am trying on my second root partition with Raring installed.

Uninstall firstly the current AMD driver with these two commands:
    ∘ sudo sh /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh
    ∘ sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx fglrx_* fglrx-amdcccle* fglrx-dev* xorg-driver-fglrx
    ∘ andrikos 03/30/13 - trying AGAIN
    ‣ sudo apt-get purge fglrx*
    ‣ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:andrikos
    ‣ sudo apt-get update
    ‣ Update the fglrx and intel drivers:
    • sudo apt-get install fglrx xserver-xorg-video-intel
    ‣ Don't forget to enable the fglrx driver
    • sudo aticonfig --initial --force
    and about to reboot - If like all other 100 attempts I expect it to on go to ttf1 (terminal type screen),

If it works I will DEFINITELY post it. But assume it won't and tired of wasting my time. Anyone with sympothy and any novel ideas out their? I would surely like to get this OLD problem fixed.

Cheers, Mark

p.s. Confirmed - it DID NOT work, back to tty1, and removing /etc/Xorg/xorg.conf and startx got me back in with no opengl functionality
    any direct contact to markackerman8@gmail.com would be much appreciated - getting sick of this, arghhh
    Skip Andrikos' repo and go straight for AMD's driver, try the latest beta.
    Try and start X without doing "aticonfig --initial -f"
    If the xorg.log complains about not finding a device on pci@1:0:1, try and remove the pci-identifier from xorg.conf

And finally, lots of sympathy - had raring/kernel 3.8 not fixed my own woes I'd have thrown the laptop out the window.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by markackerman8@gmail.com View Post
    Do you start from SSD?
    In 95% of all boots my 12.10 does not boot to the desktop and I have to "sudo service lightdm restart" to get there.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...dm/+bug/969489, https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...m/+bug/1066410

Beans

Has anyone had any success with the 7850M and the Sandybridge graphics?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by belorios View Post
    Hi all!

Read alot of the posts on this board, and some other boards =), and I worked my own way of getting hybrid graphics to work on my Vostro 3350 (hd3000/hd6490).

So here is my steps for any of you who cannot get it to work by the steps previously described.

1. Fresh install of 12.10
    2. Upgrade
    3. Installed Linux source and headers
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install linux-source linux-headers-generic
    4. Install official driver from AMD (13.1), run the installer and install the driver directly WITHOUT generating packages.
    5. REBOOT
    6. Run the following commands to install drivers from Andrikos ppa
      Code:
      sudo apt-get purge fglrx* 
      sudo add-apt-repository ppa:andrikos/ppa 
      sudo apt-get update 
      sudo apt-get -y upgrade 
      sudo apt-get --reinstall install xserver-xorg-video-intel 
      sudo apt-get -y install fglrx-updates fglrx-amdcccle-updates 
      sudo aticonfig --initial -f
    7. Reboot

Now it's time for champagne!
    So, this method worked for me, after so long trying to get switchable graphics going!!

I used the 13.3 beta drivers instead of the 13.1 stable and it appears step 6 onwards isn't needed... I'm still trialling things though. Will keep y'all updated.

I have a feeling this'll work for raring too, but I haven't upgraded yet. Still getting used to a fully functional ubuntu desktop!!

HP DV6 6146 tx i7 2630QM (sandyb) 8GB x64 Ubuntu 12.10 Intel HD 3000, AMD 6770m, HDMI Intel/AMD: working/working, VGA Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested

Thanks again to all the help on this thread!

Beans

any good news for 13.04 ?

Beans

Regarding 13.04, I wouldn't go for that yet. At least wait until it is officially supported by catalyst.

I have a clevo p150em (intel HD 4000) wit a radeon HD7970m.

In the last couple of days I have backed up my "almost-working" (discrete gpu yes, intel gpu no) 12.10 setup and tried an update to 13.04. Once there, I cleaned up the drivers and installed 13.3beta3. Unfortunately I was unable to make the dgpu work. Most probably I was bitten by another bug regarding the coordination of intel and catalyst drivers on loading, the symptons as follows in Xorg.log

Code:
    [    16.634] (EE) fglrx(0): Failed to allocate caches, disabling RENDER acceleration
    [    16.638] (EE) fglrx(0): [intel] Failed to allocate video resources for front buffer 1920x1080 at depth 24
    A quick search for this reveals the following posts:

As you see, a change in the (kernel) intel driver can get things nasty. I tried to apply a suggested patch to the raring kernel, but with no joy (actually something very similar was already there). The bug in ubuntu has just been assigned to the "Canonical X Group", but I think the ball is more on the AMD side. They will need to fix their catalyst driver to make it work with the latest intel driver on Enduro, at least with my machine. And I think they are aware of these problems (I haven't been able to find a place to submit bugs directly to the AMD fglrx crew though).

So now I'm back to my dirty but working 12.10 setup and I will keep an eye on the bug progression. I will probably wait a bit until things get released to try again.
    Last edited by petecan; April 11th, 2013 at 10:40 AM.

Beans

Arg! Been trying to get this running for about a day after having it work in 12.10. Went to 13.04 as 12.10 out of the box kept giving me errors and MTP was not working for my Razr Maxx HD. Looks like I'll just use the Intel GPU for while instead of going back.

Beans

I've got an AMD HD 8730M Graphic card and I recently installed Ubuntu 12.10.
    Ubuntu only recognizes my Intel HD Graphics 4000 card, and this causes my Dell Inspiron 15r 5521 to overheat.

Does the guide above work for AMD HD 8730M graphic cards?
    If not, what can I do? How can I use that graphic card? I don't want to delete Ubuntu and go back to Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ppierpaolo View Post
    I've got an AMD HD 8730M Graphic card and I recently installed Ubuntu 12.10.
    Ubuntu only recognizes my Intel HD Graphics 4000 card, and this causes my Dell Inspiron 15r 5521 to overheat.

Does the guide above work for AMD HD 8730M graphic cards?
    If not, what can I do? How can I use that graphic card? I don't want to delete Ubuntu and go back to Windows.
    There's a few options available here. First, you can try with Andrikos' PPA:

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge fglrx*
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:andrikos/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get -y upgrade
    sudo apt-get --reinstall install xserver-xorg-video-intel
    sudo apt-get -y install fglrx-updates fglrx-amdcccle-updates
    This will replace the existing Intel-driver with Andrikos' patched Intel-driver and install a patched FGLRX-driver.

If you a feeling a bit more adventurous, you can try and download the driver from AMD (perhaps even go for the latest beta) and see what happens.

In case you go for that instead:
    Code:
    unzip <driver-file>
    chmod +x <driverfile>
    sudo ./<driver-file> --buildpkg Ubuntu/quantal

Page 73 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast