Page 68 of 89 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works

Quote Originally Posted by jwhirl06 View Post
    Are you also on the IvyBridge and ATI 7xxx Series card on your laptop? I just don't want to hose up my new install.
    Sandy Bridge / HD6770 (I think, 6000-series anyway).

I fully understand not wanting to mess with a new install, once it's running, I just can't suppress my own desire to tinker

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MarcoDePollo View Post
    Note: there's a bug in initramfs so there is a chance of a coredump when the kernelmodules are being built. With the result that both my laptop and my desktop have an "unsupported hardware"-watermark - but it works great
    Hello! What's the bug? Does a workaround exist?
    Sony Vaio, Intel i7 (HD4000 disabled) + HD 7650M (Catalyst 13.2 with watermark)
    Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by psychok9 View Post
    Hello! What's the bug? Does a workaround exist?
    Sony Vaio, Intel i7 (HD4000 disabled) + HD 7650M (Catalyst 13.2 with watermark)
    Thanks!

https://bugs.launchpad.net/debian/+s...d/+bug/1073062

No workaround yet... But, acceleration should work, at least it does for me and the catalyst control center sees the card and is more than willing to configure it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Hello.

I have a Inspiron-7520 (15R Special edition) with ubuntu 12.10

It has intel HD 4000 and AMD Radeon HD 7700M Series (7730M)

I have vgaswitcheroo installed since I had to turn off the discrete card because of heat issues (CPU over 70°C). With IGD card only, its stays at 56°C.

sudo cat /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch - gives:

Code:
    0:IGD:+:Pwr:0000:00:02.0
    1:DIS: :Off:0000:01:00.0

Also I had to install and configured the "i8kmon" deal, so the FAN could be controled. Before that the FAN would spin at maximum RPM all the time. (this is a issue for a lot of people with similar specs)

So, for now my system is usable, but of course that I'd like to have the proper AMD driver installed to get better performance.

What I dont know is if I can follow the step-by-step instructions at the first page because Its says that its for a "fresh install" of ubuntu. And I have the i8kmon and vgasitcheroo instaled....

I dont have a urge to use the AMD card, because I dont play with the computer and dont use any special app that requires the AMD performance.

So if there is a chance for better support and easy setup in the near future (ubuntu 13.04 for example), id ratter wait...

but if there is no chance for better support and easy setup in the near future, Id preffer to install the AMD driver now.

What do you say?

regards

Beans

I was wondering if there have been any recent developments in hybrid graphics with radeon HD 5xxx series cards. All I want to do is use my discreet card for hardware acceleration and gaming, I have everything I need working in Ubuntu 12.10 except my discreet card.

I can use echo DDIS > (path to switch file) then log out and it will switch to my discreet card, but when I use an initramfs script applied to grub with these steps https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Hy..._during_bootup my integrated card is still being used.

Also I have an Intel 5 series chipset, anyone have any idea if I would be able to blacklist the driver for the intel GPU in order to force the laptop to use the discreet card, and if so which driver would I need to blacklist?

Thanks for any help.

Beans

Hello guys, I have a Dell Vostro 3450, with board AMD / INTEL done the procedure as descritou worked perfectly, however when I switch to the integrated video it does not render the Unity leaving I only use the terminal, did step 2 as described only did not work.

One thing I noticed was that when I use the command "sudo aticonfig - px-iGPU" to change the plates he has some messages that do not seem normal, but following screenshots are in PT-BR:

Code:
    weslei@Weslei-Dell-Vostro-3450:~$ sudo aticonfig --px-igpu 
    PowerXpress info: Diagnostic output from /usr/lib/fglrx/switchlibglx:
    update-alternatives: aviso: saltar a criação de /etc/OpenCL/vendors/amdocl64.icd porque o ficheiro associado /usr/lib/fglrx/etc/OpenCL/vendors/amdocl64.icd (do grupo de ligação i386-linux-gnu_gl_conf) não existe.
    update-alternatives: aviso: saltar a criação de /usr/lib32/libaticalcl.so porque o ficheiro associado /usr/lib32/fglrx/libaticalcl.so (do grupo de ligação i386-linux-gnu_gl_conf) não existe.
    update-alternatives: aviso: saltar a criação de /usr/lib32/libaticalrt.so porque o ficheiro associado /usr/lib32/fglrx/libaticalrt.so (do grupo de ligação i386-linux-gnu_gl_conf) não existe.

PowerXpress: Integrated GPU is selected (Power-Saving mode), please restart Xserver(s) for changes to take effect!
    weslei@Weslei-Dell-Vostro-3450:~$
    I'm using version 4.12 LTS as the topic and the Catalyst 12.10.

Sorry my writing used Google Translator

Thanks.

Beans

If you have followed other steps and end up with low graphics mode, simple move the mouse, click on next/ok then go "open console". Log in, and type in:
    Code:
    startx
    I followed the following steps and I have a mostly stable system (every so often on boot it drops into low graphics mode and I have to follow the following steps. I haven't yet worked out why it runs this mode sometimes and not others...)

Instructions for Catalyst 13.1 with Ubuntu 12.10 64-bit

On my system the following set up is mostly stable. I have an HP dv6 Radeon 6770M with intel hybrid graphics.

This is adapted from Alexislavie's original post:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1930450

And from the wiki:
    http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...TI.27s_site.29

Step 1:
    Make sure universe and multiverse are enabled in your repository sources (System -> Administration -> Software Sources). or Applications->Ubuntu Software Center->Edit->Software sources->Other software: check canonical partners.

Step 2:
    Pre-requisite packages:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential cdbs dh-make dkms execstack dh-modaliases linux-headers-generic
    For 64-bit users:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install lib32gcc1
    Step 3:
    Download Catalyst 13.1, extract it, then mark it as executable:
    Code:
    wget http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-linux-x86.x86_64.zip 
    unzip amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-linux-x86.x86_64.zip 
    chmod +x amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-linux-x86.x86_64.run
    Step 4:
    Create and install the packages:
    Code:
    sudo sh ./amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-linux-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/quantal 
    sudo dpkg -i fglrx*.deb
    Configure the x server:
    Code:
    sudo aticonfig --initial -f

Reboot computer

Code:
    sudo aticonfig --px-dgpu

Reboot Computer

Step 5:

Open the following file:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/X11/Xsession.d/10fglrx
    for 32-bit make the file read:
    Code:
     LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH=/usr/lib/fglrx/dri 
    if [ `uname -m` = 'x86_64' ]; then 
    if [ -d /usr/lib32/fglrx/dri ]; then 
    LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH=${LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH}:/usr/lib32/fglrx/dri:/usr/lib32/dri
    if [ ! -z $LD_LIBRARY_PATH ]; then 
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH: 
    fi 
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}/usr/lib32 
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH 
    fi 
    fi 
    export LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH
    For 64-bit:
    Code:
     LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH=/usr/lib/fglrx/dri 
    if [ `uname -m` = 'x86_64' ]; then 
    if [ -d /usr/lib32/fglrx/dri ]; then 
    LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH=${LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH}:/usr/lib32/fglrx/dri:/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri
    if [ ! -z $LD_LIBRARY_PATH ]; then 
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH: 
    fi 
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}/usr/lib32
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH 
    fi 
    fi 
    export LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH

Step 6:
    Reboot, computer will open up into "low graphics mode". Shake the mouse, click "ok/next". Then Select "Open Console" (It's the bottom option) then "ok/next".

Log in to your user, (by typing your username and password into the terminal that appears)

Then type
    Code:
    startx
    The computer should start as normal, although sometimes I am greeted only by my wallpaper and nothing else. If this is the case, press Ctrl + Alt + F2, then log in once more. And type:
    Code:
    sudo shutdown -r now
    This will reboot your computer, and all should be fine on log in. (If it is not though, rinse and repeat step 6...)
    Last edited by MeshachBlue; February 22nd, 2013 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Formatting issues

Beans

Hello,

I want to try and use ubuntu on my lenovo E520 with switchable graphics and ATI 6630. I saw this thread and I'm sure it has the solution for running ubuntu on my mechine. however, I don't want to read all the thread with it's 61 pages so can you direct me for the solution?

moreover, I am not very familiar yet with the linux terminal yet (I'm starting to study it).

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Hey guys,
    I've been working a lot last days and I have no time to test new released Catalyst 13.2 Beta 6 and I would like to know if someone here tried it and give me some detailed response about driver functionality and fixed bugs/errors.

Specifically someone which have a system with Intel HD3000 with AMD HD6XXXM Series...

I am running over Catalyst 13.2 beta3 and I have no problems at all. However, I heard my laptop fan yelling a lot and battery during only 2h over Intel HD3000 against 4h with older Catalyst drivers. Seems that 13.2 beta3 doesn't disable dGPU at all but not sure.

Someone having same behavior?

Beans

Hello guys,

I am a novice in ubuntu, but I love to learn things. these are my recent experiences. I just made a fresh install ubuntu 12.04.02 with everything upto date. then followed the procedure mentioned in the first post of this thread. everything went well with switching between the integrated and discrete working perfectly. Since i am in love with gnome3 installed gnome 3 in ubuntu12.04.02, this is when things started looking bad. The switching between the cards worked but i encountered these problems

1. when i am in integrated graphics card restart/shutdown (even by terminal too) is not proper i.e the system doesn't restart/shutdowns, with the screen saying segmentation fault

2. but everything is fine when i use the discrete card with the restart/shutdown.

the above are my experiences with lightdm and with gdm i get a perfect shutdown in integrated gpu but not a reboot.

Don't know what to do in gnome3.....
    everything is fine in unity....

hope You guys would help me out....

My configuration dell inspiron 7520 with intel hd4000/amd hd7730m
    ubuntu 12.04.02
    catalyst 13.1
    Last edited by acetech; February 23rd, 2013 at 06:44 PM. Reason: adding up info

Page 68 of 89 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast