Page 42 of 89 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works

Beans

Re: AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works !

I got the graphics working with this guide. (I did need to apply the patch to get direct rendering working for the integrated graphics though)

Samsung 700Z3A-S02, Intel HD 3000, AMD Radeon 6490M, VGA: working/working, HDMI: working/working

You need the adapter for Samsung's proprietary connector to plug in a VGA monitor, it is supported out of the box though.

Other recommendations for this laptop:

• Install samsung-tools and samsung-laptop from the Linux on my Samsung PPA. (enables backlight when you use the Grub kernel switch acpi_backlight=vendor, also check the Voria forums instructions on how to add backlight support to xorg.conf. Still didn't work for me, I used xbindkey and xbacklight in the end)
    • Install Jupiter (CPU power saving tool)
    • Enable power saving (see thread at CrunchBang forums)
    • Add kernel switches for better performance of CPU / integrated graphics (see Phoronix #1 #2)
    • Install the proprietary WiFi Card driver offered in the "additional drivers" dialogue of Ubuntu to enable power saving for the WiFi card.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

OP's original instructions work perfectly on a Lenovo G570 with a AMD Radeon HD 6300M series 1gb hybrid card.

Able to switch easily back and forth between power saving and high performance mode.

Thanks _so_ much to the OP for helping me _finally_ get the most out of my machine!!

Results:

Lenovo G-570,Intel HD 3000, AMD 6370m, HDMI Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested, VGA Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested
    Last edited by sanukcm; August 6th, 2012 at 01:59 PM. Reason: added results formatted to OP's spec

Beans

Thanks!

I have a DELL Vostro 3550 with Intel HD 3000 and AMD Radeon HD 6630 working fine with the Ubuntu Precise Pangolin (12.04) 64bit
    I'm able to switch easily back and forth between power saving and high performance mode.

The new Catalyst 12.6 have a GUI to switch between Power Saving and High Performance.

Thanks for the post!

Beans

Hello,

I have a Dell Vostro 3550 (i3, AMD 6630). This method works perfectly, the CPU temperature during average usage is between 49-54 celsius

BUT compare to Windows 7, the keyboard is more hotter under Linux than Windows 7
    I use Mint 13 with E17, powertop, jupiter to reduce powerusage. I turn off AMD card, but the cover around the "qwertasdfyxcv" keys's are very hot.

If someone have Dell Vostro 3550 whith same configuration, can check this with his/her machine?

Beans

complement:

Lenovo G-770,Intel HD 3000, AMD 6650m, HDMI Intel/AMD: working/working, VGA Intel/AMD: working/working

Beans

Hi,

I have an HP Pavillion dv3-2310 laptop with a Mobility Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series card. I have followed this guide and many alternatives, such as using jockey-gtk/amd driver without converting into .deb packages, none have worked. X crashes with the message

(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@1:00:1) found

and then:

Fatal server error: no screens found.

Note that the PCI id is in the log (0@1:00:1)is wrong, it should report 01:00:0. The xorg.conf file has the correct id. The driver definitely support the HD 4xxx series with the latest update unlike the previous 12.6 one. Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,
    Chris

Beans

Hi,

I am running a HP Envy 15 3033cl with the AMD Radeon 7690m. Linux 3.2.0-29-generic under Kubuntu. Catalyst Version 12.6

I have been able to get the driver to install, via the first post, without any noticeable problems during installation. And I am also able to switch between the Intel and discrete GPU's without a problem, except for one thing.

When I switch to the discrete graphics, I run the gears demo

Code:
    fgl_glxgears
    and it doesn't redraw every frame, when the window is sitting there. But if I begin to drag the window around, I can see the cube and gears moving. As soon as I stop moving the window around, it immediately stops redrawing the window.

Here i a desktop recording of my problem
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfUVg...ature=youtu.be

There gear demo works fine when I switch over to the intel GPU.

I also notice the same thing when I use Blender 3D. I open the program, and nothing. Not until I move the window around anyways.

But if I switch back to the Intel GPU, Blender works fine, as it has in the past.

I thought it had something to do with direct rendering. So when I run this command.

Code:
    glxinfo | egrep render
    It says that I have direct rendering. Both for the Intel and discrete GPU's.

Here is my xorg.conf

Code:
    Section "ServerLayout"
    	Identifier     "aticonfig Layout"
    	Screen      0  "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    	Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
    	Option	    "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
    	Option	    "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
    	Option	    "DPMS" "true"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    	Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
    	Driver      "fglrx"
    	Option	    "UseFastTLS" "0"
    	BusID       "PCI:01:00:0"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    	Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
    	Device     "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
    	Monitor    "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
    	DefaultDepth     24
    	SubSection "Display"
    		Viewport   0 0
    		Depth     24
    	EndSubSection
    EndSection

I have looked around for a fix for this, but can't seem to find anything. If someone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. It would be nice to have graphic acceleration for my 3D work.
    Last edited by lachoneus; August 14th, 2012 at 06:57 PM.

Beans

Never mind. Figured it out.

When I was trying to install the divers 4 or 5 months ago, and failed, I had lost my desktop effects after reverting back to a no drivers situation. So I discovered that under kwin>desktop effects>advanced tab there is an option to turn off opengl to XRender. I did this to restore the nice desktop effects that Kubuntu has.

After doing some more searching around today, here, I discovered that you can turn on vsync in the same place. Desktop Effects> Advanced tab. But only if openGL is on. Naturally it wasn't, because I had switched it to XRender before.

So, I switched it back to openGL, and now everything is behaving properly. The gears demo and blender. I even ran my system through some opengl benchmarks. Works great.

If I had installed these drivers, according to the first post, with a clean install of Kubuntu, everything would have worked fine.

I will have to try it from a clean install sometime.

Beans

Hello everybody,
    first of all thx for your help. Thanks to your suggestions, I could install AMD Driver and start Ubuntu without black screen.

My problem is that I have direct rendering:no

Code:
    glxinfo | egrep direct
    libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/fglrx/dri/tls/i965_dri.so
    libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/fglrx/dri/i965_dri.so
    libGL error: dlopen /usr/lib/fglrx/dri/i965_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/fglrx/dri/i965_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
    libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib32/fglrx/dri/tls/i965_dri.so
    libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib32/fglrx/dri/i965_dri.so
    libGL error: dlopen /usr/lib32/fglrx/dri/i965_dri.so failed (/usr/lib32/fglrx/dri/i965_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
    libGL error: unable to load driver: i965_dri.so
    libGL error: driver pointer missing
    libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/fglrx/dri/tls/swrast_dri.so
    libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/fglrx/dri/swrast_dri.so
    libGL error: dlopen /usr/lib/fglrx/dri/swrast_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/fglrx/dri/swrast_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
    libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib32/fglrx/dri/tls/swrast_dri.so
    libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib32/fglrx/dri/swrast_dri.so
    libGL error: dlopen /usr/lib32/fglrx/dri/swrast_dri.so failed (/usr/lib32/fglrx/dri/swrast_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
    libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
    libGL error: reverting to indirect rendering
    direct rendering: No (If you want to find out why, try setting LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose)
    Code:
    aticonfig --pxl
    PowerXpress: Discrete GPU is active (High-Performance mode).
    With this problem I can run Unity only in 2D mode and it's very slow.

Any idea?

Thx!

Beans

Hello

I am new to ubuntu... and I have a laptop HP dv6-6185la

Intel Core i7-2630QM
    Radeon HD 6770M
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64 bits

I really don't have much experience with Linux... so I asked a friend to help me install ubuntu in my laptop. He installed it and everything seemed okay and I have been using ubuntu for a while now and I am really happy with it. However, when I wanted to make use of some games or some software that required a more intense use of my gpu... I faced a problem. I did not have my ati card installed.

After days of surfing the web trying to find out how to install my driver... I came across this thread, followed the instructions and everything went well untill this step:

Code:
    sudo aticonfig --initial -f
    I get an error:
    Code:
    Uninitialised file found, configuring.
    PowerXpress error: Cannot stat '/usr/lib64/fglrx': No such file or directory
    Failed to initialize libglx for discrete GPU
    Using /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Saving back-up to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.fglrx-10
    I actually don't mind using always the high performance gpu... I just want to be able to run MyUnity in 3D, Lord of Ultima, and Kino.

I don't know if my friend installed some drivers before I tried to install these drivers. All I know is that I get that error and that now I have the amd catalyst center in my apps... but when I try to open it I get this:

There was a problem initializing Catalyst Control Center Linux edition. It could be caused by the following.

No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly.
    Please install the AMD driver appropriate for you AMD hardware, or configure using aticonfig.
    Any help will be very welcome

Thanks!
    Last edited by bearlord; August 17th, 2012 at 09:08 PM.

Page 42 of 89 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast