Page 4 of 89 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works

Beans

Re: AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works !

I tried installing the drivers for the AMD video card using instructions found here:
    http://help.stedman.net.au/2012/02/m...v6-6023tx.html
    for my HP dv6t Quad 6000 series notebook with an AMD 7470M discrete graphics card.

However, after rebooting X fails to load and I cannot get anything graphical to work on the computer. I can boot into recovery mode, but I cannot load X or any graphical programs. If I boot normally it will just hang indefinitely at a screen with a list of tasks that it is trying to do with “[OK]” next to most of them, though it “[fail]”s on “Starting automatic crash report generation”.

How can I reverse the damage I have done (uninstall the drivers, etc…) so that I can get the computer back to a useable state?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SamBam77 View Post
    I tried installing the drivers for the AMD video card using instructions found here:
    http://help.stedman.net.au/2012/02/m...v6-6023tx.html
    for my HP dv6t Quad 6000 series notebook with an AMD 7470M discrete graphics card.

However, after rebooting X fails to load and I cannot get anything graphical to work on the computer. I can boot into recovery mode, but I cannot load X or any graphical programs. If I boot normally it will just hang indefinitely at a screen with a list of tasks that it is trying to do with “[OK]” next to most of them, though it “[fail]”s on “Starting automatic crash report generation”.

How can I reverse the damage I have done (uninstall the drivers, etc…) so that I can get the computer back to a useable state?
    Did you try the command on the post #10?
    sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    startx

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Alexislavie View Post
    This is the Ubuntu packager of that driver who will decide to either compile it with --enable-sna or not.
    Ok, I'll wait the pc to try!
    Thank you!

Beans

Well... but how to check if a notebook is muxless or muxed?(before i buy it, ofc)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pinguinhood View Post
    Did you try the command on the post #10?
    sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    startx
    That worked. I did not think to do that before because I only had read-only access through the command prompt. But I was able to access it through a boot disk and delete this file, which allowed me to boot into the GUI, and then I could purge the drivers myself to get everything back to normal (since those drivers also prevented some of my programs from loading).

I guess I will need to wait a bit longer to make use of my video card in linux.

Beans

Sj3

By definition. When you are using windows. If your card change from gpu to discrete card in a transparent way ( both, nvidia and amd).
    You are using a muxless card.

IF you need to restart or logoff/login your computer to turn the effect on when using windows. Then Is a muxed one.

Both, Muxless or MUXED ones. CAN have in BIOS the option to use the GPU or DISCRETE only/PRIMARY.

The problem resides the companies like HP. That use secured bios ( YES the same secured bios everyone listen and read microsoft will use and **** with linux. they do it for ages). Disable this option on bios and doesn't let us to enable this by our-self ( they use cryptography keys that doesn't allows to open all hidden and useful bios options), sometimes that does't let just use a usb or change our RAM memory if not their ones ( but this kind of **** they do with us, are another discussion).

The problem between AMD and NVIDIA. Besides both being muxless they works different.

In resume. NVIDIA when disable the gpu or discrete card. ALREADY UNLOAD the modules and disable the pcie channel/card. ( because this NVIDIA are not ALL 100% transparent when switching one from other). And the AMD. disable the pcie card. But maintain the states of card/pcie and drivers loaded ( faking the card is on) Then when you ALREADY RESTART the card. all become 100% transparent and perfect.

Apple are muxless but use a special processor/chip that work with all this. almost turning the muxless cards in a muxed one.

And last in AMD side. Seems some supposed muxless cards special from 66xxM that besides SEEMS be muxless act like a muxed one.

Under linux is simple to know if you use a muxed one or muxless one. Try to switch the discrete card using the vgaswitcheroo. IF you receive a ERROR when switching in dmesg. Then yu are muxless. Probable the metodo of this post ( 99% of chance) will not work.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sj3 View Post
    Well... but how to check if a notebook is muxless or muxed?(before i buy it, ofc)
    It would be better to avoid hybrid graphics completely. If all you need is video acceleration and enough 3D for desktop effects and light gaming, go intel.

Beans

Well... i'm going for a new AMD A6 processor with only the integrated card, looks like a good entry-level gaming card(and it's all i need), i have seen this in action on a debian, over 5k fps with glxgears(i know it's not a real benchmark but still it's a good result).

Btw i know how to check if there is mux or not... but i'm buying the computer online so... that's why i asked how to know BEFORE i buy it... ehehe

p.s. sorry for the poor english, it's not my mother language.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sj3 View Post
    Well... i'm going for a new AMD A6 processor with only the integrated card, looks like a good entry-level gaming card(and it's all i need), i have seen this in action on a debian, over 5k fps with glxgears(i know it's not a real benchmark but still it's a good result).

Btw i know how to check if there is mux or not... but i'm buying the computer online so... that's why i asked how to know BEFORE i buy it... ehehe

p.s. sorry for the poor english, it's not my mother language.
    The mux/less distinction only applies to systems with two GPU's. You're in the wrong thread...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    The mux/less distinction only applies to systems with two GPU's. You're in the wrong thread...
    I'm not in the wrong thread, just since it's impossible to know if it's muxless or not(before you try it, that's why i asked about it) i'm going for an integrated GPU to avoid the problem, it's simple.

Page 4 of 89 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast