Page 17 of 89 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works !

Quote Originally Posted by carlocb View Post
    You can write my configuration as fully working however!
    HP Pavilion DV6 6169sl - ATI radeon HD6770M + Intel i7. Everything works with this tutorial...tried also using my external monitor (when on integrated graphics)...no issues whatsoever! Great work!!
    Please don't forget to mention VGA and HDMI, "external monitor working" isn't enough.
    Intel HD 3000 ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Alexislavie View Post
    Just reinstall ubuntu it will be simpler than trying to fix your system. Don't forget anything this time while reading the tutorial.
    can u explain little more ? Which guide i follow ?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I followed the new instructions in the first post, exactly.

OS is an up-to-date 12.04.

Computer is a new Asus B43S-X51, intel i5- 2520, with an ATI 6470 card.

I also got the low graphics graphics warning. Removing the xorg.conf file did not bring back the 2D desktop either. I have made a few attempts of installing Catalyst driver prior to today, and I used to be able to get the desktop back after removing the xorg.conf file. So, I had to reinstall the OS (now done 3 times trying to get this working).

Is it possible to get the direct rendering on the integrated chip, without installing fglrx first?
    Xubuntu 12.04 -64bit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by iowabeakster View Post
    I followed the new instructions in the first post, exactly.

OS is an up-to-date 12.04.

Computer is a new Asus B43S-X51, intel i5- 2520, with an ATI 6470 card.

I also got the low graphics graphics warning. Removing the xorg.conf file did not bring back the 2D desktop either. I have made a few attempts of installing Catalyst driver prior to today, and I used to be able to get the desktop back after removing the xorg.conf file. So, I had to reinstall the OS (now done 3 times trying to get this working).

Is it possible to get the direct rendering on the integrated chip, without installing fglrx first?
    Of course you can...that is the "easy" thing! Just make sure you have the i915 and radeon modules, then
    echo OFF > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
    Don't make an xorg.conf, the intel card will be recognized by default...
    Of course if you would like to install the fglrx afterwards, you'll need to blacklist the radeon module.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hello,

I tried these instructions with the following configuration, and it almost works.

* Computer: Sony VAIO VPC SE series.
    * Graphic cards: AMD Radeon HD 6470M 512Mo + Intel HD 3000

The problem is that even though direct rendering is said to be enabled:
    Code:
    nicolas@nico-ubuntu:~$ glxinfo | egrep render
    direct rendering: Yes
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Mobile 
        GL_EXT_vertex_array_bgra, GL_NV_conditional_render,
    ...Unity "3D" interface doesn't appear after login. I only get a functional desktop, but no sidebar nor "top bar". And the problem is the same using any of the two GPUs.

It however works when choosing "Ubuntu 2D" (ie. no desktop effect) at login.

What could be wrong?

Thank you!

edit: I am using Ubuntu 11.10 (apparently, I can't change my profile as I have less than 50 posts)
    Last edited by nico@nc; April 17th, 2012 at 02:53 PM.
    Nicolas

Beans

It works!

I've got a Lenovo G-770 and my graphic cards are Intel HD 3000 and Radeon HD 6650M.

But there is a problem.

When activating the radeon card, there is tearing. Anybody knows how to fix it?

Using the intel one, there is no tearing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Alexislavie View Post
    Please don't forget to mention VGA and HDMI, "external monitor working" isn't enough.
    Intel HD 3000 ?
    Sorry...tried VGA, no money for the hdmi cable, lol!

Beans

Does anyone know if an Envy 13 is considered a muxed or muxless setup? I have an intel GMA4500HD and an ATI HD 4330 which does not switch automatically, but also does not have an option in BIOS to switch. Everything is done within software on the windows side of things.

Any chance the directions in the OP will work for me? The intel card works fine off of a fresh install, but it's also the only option. Installing the Radeon or FGLRX drivers brings me to a non-booting system, forcing a full OS re-install.

I'm on 11.10 - any help that you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Beans

Ok guys...I did a little more testing, so here are my findings...

1. Tried again to get this working on archlinux, but with no success. Discrete works fine, intel doesn't as before. The --px-igpu says it can't switch to the integrated, while in fact it does (changing the symlink libglx.so to the intel one)...but there surely is more than that.
    What I mean is that managing the symlink is one thing, and is probably all switchlibGL and switchlibglx do.
    This is confirmed by the fact that if you look at those script on ubuntu (installing with the ati installer, not via apt!!) they are written in python and with a VERY INTERESTING "Copyright 2011 Canonical Ltd."!! Interesting because this could be the reason why I couldn't get this f*** driver to work on *any* distro I tried, *but* ubuntu, lol! Those scripts are different on different distros, where the "official" amd ones use the symlinking, debian uses update-alternatives and the gentoo hack (on the wiki) uses eselect opengl. It is basically the same thing and those scripts should work (and I bet they do).
    It is also confirmed by the fact that the error message I see when I try the --px-igpu is not present in those script.
    Soooo the error could be in the part (which is yet to find) where the fglrx actually "tells" our cards something like "power off discrete, switch to integrated". In fact the laptop fans spin a lot, as if both the cards were active...
    Now...how could this part be distro-dependent is really strange because I figure this is the "driver" or "kernel-module" part as I see it, and that should be unaffected by things as xorg version, xf86 intel drivers, etc. It could however depend on a kernel version or config?? O_o But that would be really strange...I don't know, I'm open to your ideas as well...

2. (On Ubuntu) Since now I always used the integrated graphics and it works flawlessly so far. I tried to better test the discrete this evening.
    Happy to say pm-suspend WORKS on this one too! So that's a problem of the gnome sleep management which is easily corrected if you do use suspend function a lot like me.
    The card does indeed show tearing issues with fullscreen vids, and that's sad!
    There is a REALLY strange bug I noticed just now: the battery icon in the statusbar doesn't get drawn when using the ati card: it's a clickable black spot. Doing "alt+F2 - r" resulted in a gnome crash, "ctrl+alt+F1 - killall Xorg" and that battery icon still isn't showing up, so it could really be related somehow to the driver.

In the end, amd should *really* be doing something for their lame ****** driver. It sucked years ago, in the ati-era. It continues to suck now. Their catalyst control center is something horrible and a pain-in-the-*** also on windows. The whole thing is basically rubbish. We are their customers, not beta-testers or whatsoever...I'll NEVER EVER EVER buy a f**** ati card again!!
    (sorry for the swearing against amd but I'm so tired of trying to get to work something that should just work at least at a *DECENT* level and for which I payed for)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

It's always a pleasure for me help the linux community. A lot of bugs in AMD/Intel Hybrid graphics in the linux world were fixed in the past days, any contributions is always welcome.

However, there's still people who don't read everything and do not follow the post as they have to. So, who still have problems should uninstall completely the fglrx driver and remove the Xorg.conf file and of course reboot the machine.

After that, should read the first post that was created by our friend Alexislavie and have worldwide contributions.

Remember: RTFM!!!

Page 17 of 89 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast