Page 14 of 88 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Talking Re: AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works !

I'm going to update the 1st post, I installed Ubuntu 12.04 beta 2 today with fglrx (catalyst) 12.3 and it works very well. It seems that the new AMD driver doesn't need the intel driver to have been compiled with the sna option. Which really simplify all the installation.

Just one thing : with the integrated gpu (intel) my cursors blinks a few times everytime I move it, and this doesn't happen with the discrete gpu. Does anyone has an idea to fix this ?

EDIT: This may be because it's a beta version of Ubuntu. I hope it is because of this.
    Last edited by Alexislavie; April 14th, 2012 at 08:37 PM.

Beans
    Distro

History : Version 1 - do not follow !!!

This is an history of the 1st post published. PLEASE DO NOT FOLLOW IT. GO TO THE FIRST POST TO GET THE INSTRUCTIONS.

As the title says there is way to get AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics to work on Ubuntu and other Linux's distros. I'm actually writing this post under Ubuntu 11.10 and Gnome Shell on a Dell Vostro 3550 computer with a Intel HD 3000 integrated video device and a ATI/AMD 6630M video card, and the video device used right now is the AMD one.

So before, I tell you how did I do and what to know about how the AMD/Intel Switchable Graphics works, I believe it would be better to show you a screenshot, so here it is :

*As you can notice my computer is in French, but I think this isn't a problem for a global understanding of the text.

I - How to make fglrx (the catalyst ATI/AMD driver) communicate with the intel driver ?

1 - Sandy Bridge New Acceleration -SNA

First of all, the major problem that users are faced when trying to install fglrx is that fglrx to communicate with the Intel driver and take control of the Xorg server need the Intel driver package : xserver-xorg-video-intel to have been compiled with the --enable-sna option. Otherwise without that option fglrx doesn't work at all and may not detect any AMD device on your computer. In fact the Sandy Bridge New Acceleration wasn't included into the xserver-xorg-video-intel package by Ubuntu because that option was known to be too much recent and was consequently a risk of many bugs for people who actually have a Intel video device.

2 - Version compatibility between fglrx and xserver-xorg-video-intel

In order to make fglrx properly works, the intel driver installed must be supported by the actual fglrx driver installed on your computer.

Here is what I know :
    - flgrx (version < 12.1 && version >= 11.6) supports only as most recent the 2.15 Intel's driver version.
    - fglrx (version = 12.1) now works with the latest Intel's driver version which is 2.17.
    The conclusion is that no matter if xserver-xorg-video-intel has been compiled with the --enable option if it's version is not compatible with fglrx.

II - Xorg.conf and switching between the two graphics cards.

Supposing you just installed the proper drivers (fglrx + xserver-xorg-video-intel with SNA), you first need to create a xorg.conf, this can be simply done by entering this command :
    sudo aticonfig --initial -f
    This command outputs a valid Xorg.conf that indicate to the Xserver to give control of the display to the fglrx driver, nothing is mentioned about the Intel's driver in it.
    A thing to note before you continue the reading is that when you actually switch between the graphics cards you will need to reboot your system in order to apply the changes.

To know what gpu is used enter this command in a terminal :
    sudo aticonfig --pxl
    To switch to the Intel gpu enter this command in a terminal :
    sudo aticonfig --px-igpu
    To switch to the AMD/ATI gpu enter this command in a terminal :
    sudo aticonfig --px-dgpu
    Note : This can also be easily done with the catalyst gui as seen on my screenshot.

The two commands that switch the gpu secondarily calls two scripts installed automatically by fglrx. Those scripts contains command (mainly update-alternatives) to indicate to the system which GL's librairies the Xserver will have to use at next boot. Those two scripts are developed to work on any Debian based distros, so it totally works out of the box on Ubuntu.

III - How to install a correct version of xserver-xorg-video-intel and fglrx on Ubuntu to get AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics to work. [TODO]

Sadly, there is actually no easy way to install a sna version of the xserver-xorg-video-intel driver, I plan to do a ppa containing it, so you better check this thread frequently. I hope I will be able to make it before the end of the week (26 February), if you want to help, please tell me. I suscribed to this thread, I will receive an email if anybody create a new post.
    The Oneiric version of the package is 2.15.901 I will only compile that one and not the most recent to avoid bugs with Oneiric's Xorg version.

To install the latest AMD/ATI driver an easy way exists just check this page : http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide
    But do not install it ! Before I release the Intel driver compiled with sna.

IV - AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics in the Linux future.

As I said in the first part, by default there is actually no Linux distribution that provides the xserver-xorg-video-intel package compiled with --enable-sna. But recently Chris Wilson the main developper of this driver has released the 2.17 version of it (this is the version that will be included in Ubuntu 12.04), which according to him brings many bug fixes and performance improvements. What I hope is that Ubuntu and other distros will in the future provides by default the Intel driver compiled with sna, this would make our AMD hybrid card work out of the box after installation (if the package maintainer also check the compatibility with fglrx).

Sadly I don't think this will be available for Ubuntu 12.04 (I think it's too late to integrate new functionnality into the drivers that will be provided).
    I'm asking every person reading this post, to create a post, to proove that we are many that depends on this sna option, to gain the attention of Ubuntu employees. An attention which I hope will lead to the adoption of the New Sandy Bridge Acceleration before the release of Ubuntu 12.10.

Any kind of help is welcome, and you can contact me at dev.lavie.alexis@gmail.com

Useful links :
    http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6936730.html You can thanks that guy because his post really helped me to understand how the ati hybrid graphics works.
    http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Fglrx-hybrid-graphics You can also check this Gentoo wiki about hybrid graphics, this is some Gentoo's users that actually found first a solution on how to make AMD hybrid cards to work on Linux.

Beans

Re: AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works !

Hello everyone! This is my first posts in this forum. In fact I'm not even a ubuntu user (arch actually), but I'm following this as it seems the most updated thread in getting switchable graphics to work with linux in the whole www!
    So...I have an HP pavilion dv6 6169sl with an intel i7 and radeon 6770hd I guess. I set the bios option to "fixed graphics" opposed to "dynamic" mode. I tried both however.
    I tried with fedora 16, installed the fglrx drivers from directly from amd website and it worked. That is: the fglrx got the radeon card working BUT highly unstable. And by that I mean gnome was crashing like 2-3 times an hour. That is NOT usable and/or acceptable for me, so if your achievements are that the discrete graphic runs Xorg but it crashes every 10 minutes just tell me please. The switching feature provided by ccc did not work, so the discrete (buggy) card was the only available.

Then I installed arch linux (my favorite distro) and got running the intel card without heat issues (switching OFF the vgaswitcheroo on boot). The gnome-experience is exceptional: NO crashes ever. The vgaswitcheroo is not able to switch to the discrete card however, it just hangs even if doing it with init runlevel 3 (no X running).

I tried uninstalling the opensource ati drivers and recompiling the intel ones with --enable-sna feature (because with arch that is easy to do), then installing the ati drivers 12.3 from amd website.
    NO LUCK this time.
    What I mean is: (Xorg.0.log) ---
    (EE) Screen 1 deleted because of no matching config section.
    Backtrace:
    0: /usr/bin/Xorg (xorg_backtrace+0x36) [0x55f646]
    1: /usr/bin/Xorg (0x400000+0x163379) [0x563379]
    [...] CUT
    Segmentation fault at address 0x4
    -----
    Of course I tried googling the logs but with no luck (except this thread, which I tried reading whole: happened to some, but no answers for this issue).
    So I'm here begging for help, because I know it has to work in some way...we need to get a better picture of it so it can be applied to every linux distro.
    I'd like to ask to the ones that have this working (like the OP):
    - what version of Xorg are you running?
    - what version of intel xf86 drivers?
    - kernel version?
    - is kms or framebuffer working? do you get a nice splash screen?
    And, most importantly: is everything really running smoothly? As in...no crashes with discrete, no crashes with internal? Flash player, virtualbox, opening java software like eclipse, mplayer...all running well with either cards?? I don't care about power consumption, as I am on ac like 99% of the times...hell...I wouldn't even care about the integrated if the discrete for which I payed lots of money worked as requested...I wasn't using integrated even on windows...
    I just need my laptop to run with linux with no major issues...so if it means switching to ubuntu because we can't figure out how to adapt it I'll go with it...but I'd like to better understand everything...please!

Beans

Thanks so much been trying to get my gpu to work well with ubuntu for a while. Got it running on my acer 7750g-6444 with an amd 6650m. Ubuntu looks so beautiful now!!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by godofcrows View Post
    Thanks so much been trying to get my gpu to work well with ubuntu for a while. Got it running on my acer 7750g-6444 with an amd 6650m. Ubuntu looks so beautiful now!!
    Can you more describe your configuration ? Did you test HDMI out and VGA out ? Test them with the integrated and discrete card.

Beans
    Distro

Please try this on a fresh install, AND DO NOT USE VGASWITCHEROO.
    I never used Arch Linux, but it should works too if you follow the guide here: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Arch_Linux for the catalyst installation.
    I encourage you to make a post on the Arch Linux forums, and post a link to the ubuntu thread, Arch Linux users may better help you.
    As you asked, the system is very stable, with both cards. And power consumption is 4x lower now with the integrated gpu active.

linux-generic version : linux-meta (3.2.0.23.25) precise-proposed;
    xorg version : xorg (1:7.6+12ubuntu1) precise;
    xorg-server version : xorg-server (2:1.11.4-0ubuntu10) precise;
    xserver-xorg-video-intel version : xserver-xorg-video-intel (2:2.17.0-1ubuntu4) precise;

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Alexislavie View Post
    Please try this on a fresh install, AND DO NOT USE VGASWITCHEROO.
    I never used Arch Linux, but it should works too if you follow the guide here: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Arch_Linux for the catalyst installation.
    I encourage you to make a post on the Arch Linux forums, and post a link to the ubuntu thread, Arch Linux users may better help you.
    As you asked, the system is very stable, with both cards. And power consumption is 4x lower now with the integrated gpu active.

linux-generic version : linux-meta (3.2.0.23.25) precise-proposed;
    xorg version : xorg (1:7.6+12ubuntu1) precise;
    xorg-server version : xorg-server (2:1.11.4-0ubuntu10) precise;
    xserver-xorg-video-intel version : xserver-xorg-video-intel (2:2.17.0-1ubuntu4) precise;
    So...first of all thank you very very much for your answer! The fact that it's stable is very reassuring for me. In fact I guess I'll try your method on ubuntu as soon as possible.
    The strange thing is that I'm now in your same position, meaning that I have installed the same exact version of xorg-server, the intel driver and the catalyst driver. Strange thing is I'm still getting the same crash of the xorg-server...I thought it was related to the xorg version (was on 1.12 and it's said to not be compatible with catalyst...now I don't know what to think anymore...

Beans

Ok...soooo...things are starting to get weirder and weirder...but I'm actually understanding something maybe! I'm sure we can find a solution to get this working in every linux distro!!
    So...first of all...I reinstalled the xserver (correct version). The libgl, intel-dri and intel xf86 drivers. Then I reinstalled the catalyst downloaded from amd's website and it is WORKING! What I mean is that discrete graphic card gets recognized and is usable (with direct rendering enabled).
    I noted that, if you compile the xf86 intel drivers with --enable-sna (as suggested before) DOES NOT work! I have to omit it (--enable-dri only option).

Things are getting weird when trying to switch to the integrated card!!
    aticonfig --px-igp tells me it can't do the switch (but it actually does it, if you do aticonfig --pxl afterwards you see that integrated is enabled).

-- INTERESTING OBSERVATION:
    How does it do that (the switch)? It is my observation that it actually changes a symlink in /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions. That folder in my system looks like this:

1. BEFORE installing fglrx (but with intel driver installed) the libglx.so is a symlink to libglx.xorg in the very same folder.

2. WHEN you install fglrx it creates another symlink in that folder: FGL.renamed.libglx.so which points to libglx.xorg. It then makes the libglx.so symlink point to fglrx/fglrx-libglx.so --> this is with DISCRETE graphics selected.

3. SWITCHING means simply changing the libglx.so to point to FGL.renamed.libglx.so...which is nothing more than a pointer to libglx.xorg THEREFORE the situation will be the same as when you were using simply the intel driver, even without fglrx installed.

NOW...what happens is that the aticonfig --px-igp changes that symlink BUT it leaves the xorg.conf which states that Xorg server should use as graphic card the PCI id 1:0:0 (ati card) with the fglrx driver...Xorg crashes!!
    I found two equal solutions to this issue:
    1. moving /etc/X11/xorg.conf to xorg.conf.old for example
    2. editing xorg.conf to have PCI id 0:2:0 (intel card) with the intel driver
    Now X starts fine on the intel graphic BUT direct rendering is NOT working. Why? Because of the variables you talked about: if I cat $LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH in my system it points to /usr/lib32/dri:/usr/lib/dri
    folder which contains only the fglrx_dri.so
    The correct folder (after intel switching) would be /usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri which contains i915_dri.so and such...

Now the answer is: since I don't have the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-fglrx file you are talking about...how can I have that variable properly set up when I make the switch?? If I get that right, then I could write a little scripts which does the switch:
    1. change the libglx.so symlink to intel one
    2. move the xorg.conf out of the way (or maybe not)
    3. use the proper $LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH
    4. start gdm

I also have a little concern about the fglrx driver actually switching off the intel card when using the discrete and viceversa. Why?? Because the i915 module gets loaded on boot and it provides the kms, so I doubt it can be shut off.

Other little concern...try doing the following:
    1. start X on the discrete card
    2. switch to integrated
    3. start X on the integrated
    4. switch back to the discrete
    5. start X again on the discrete
    Do you get a KERNEL PANIC doing this?? That is the case for me. It seems it can't switch again to the discrete card (reproducible error for me). Hard-rebooting however gets the discrete loaded again first an with no issues...

Beans

Ok...I tried changing the $LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH to the correct one after switching to integrated card but still no luck

Thing is REALLY weird, because the single drivers alone are working well. I can use intel drivers correctly if i uninstall fglrx and I can use fglrx right now (with intel drivers installed). But intel drivers don't work anymore...I can't make the switch!! WTF???
    Last edited by carlocb; April 15th, 2012 at 03:39 PM.

Beans

Still can't get this working properly with my ATI 5470 card, here is my current xorg.conf, I'm not sure if its been setup properly

Code:
    Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "aticonfig Layout"
        Screen      0  "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
        Option        "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
        Option        "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
        Option        "DPMS" "true"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
        Driver      "fglrx"
        Option        "UseFastTLS" "1"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
        Device     "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
        Monitor    "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
            Viewport   0 0
            Depth     24
        EndSubSection
    EndSection
    What seems off to me is under the Device subsection it says Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]-0" rather than naming my card, aticonfig --list-adapters shows it as a
    Code:
     0. 01:00.0 ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series
    Most of what I am seeing in here is 6000 series cards getting it working and anyone that uses a 5000 series is having problems (on 12.4) of it booting into low graphics mode, I have installed all prereqs with the following commands from the terminal.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential cdbs fakeroot dh-make debhelper debconf libstdc++6 sudo apt-get install dkms libqtgui4 wget execstack libelfg0 dh-modaliases sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic xserver-xorg-core libgcc1
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ia32-libs lib32gcc1 libc6-i386
    Code:
    cd /usr ; sudo ln -svT lib /usr/lib64

Any help will be appreciated, this is really annoying me now nothing seems to work for my card everything
    I do to solve it makes it boot into low graphics mode using the fglrx driver, also curiously after I have run
    aticonfig --initial I cannot use fglrxinfo I get the error:

Code:
    X Error of failed request:  BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
      Major opcode of failed request:  136 (GLX)
      Minor opcode of failed request:  19 (X_GLXQueryServerString)
      Serial number of failed request:  12

I don't mind editing xorg.conf manually if someone can provide one that should work with my card to try it.

Which does make me think I am missing something, please help.

Page 14 of 88 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast