Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works !

Code:
    dan@derp:~$ glxinfo | egrep render
    direct rendering: Yes
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Mobile 
        GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_ARB_ES2_compatibility, 
    dan@derp:~$
    Woohoo!!! I'm also able to use Unity3D and gnome without issues on the integrated graphics.

Now all I have to do is figure out why alt+tab doesn't work and everything will be perfect!

Also I realize this is probably the wrong thread for this, but now that the rendering is working I have noticed a very significant hit to battery life. Before on integrated graphics I was getting about 4.5-5 hours of battery, and now I'm down to 2-3. Still a lot better than running off the ati graphics, but definitely an issue I wouldn't mind working on. Any recommendations?
    Last edited by bidget; April 7th, 2012 at 03:00 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by eug89 View Post
    Hi, I basically have your same hardware. In order to install correctly the 12.3 driver I followed this guide http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...TI.27s_site.29 up to the
    Code:
    sudo aticonfig --initial -f
    comand. Then I followed the steps Niccola posted yesterday http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=107. This allows you to use Unity3d or gnome shell with the integrated graphic card (intel).
    Lastly, if you want to achieve better battery consumption and working backlight comands you can follow this guide http://help.stedman.net.au/2011/10/x...v6-6023tx.html only the first part though, where he describes how to edit the etc/default/grub file. Hope this helps solve your problems how it did for me.
    So i first install catalyst 12.3 ? Any steps before that ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sarathsnair View Post
    So i first install catalyst 12.3 ? Any steps before that ?
    Yes, you have nothing to do before installing catalyst 12.3. If you want you can try to edit the etc/default/grub file as described in the last link I've posted, it's not related with the graphic cards.
    When you're installing the 12.3 drivers be sure to change the comand
    Code:
    sudo sh ./amd-driver-installer-12-3-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/oneiric
    in
    Code:
    sudo sh ./amd-driver-installer-12-3-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/precise
    since you have ubuntu 12.04 installed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by eug89 View Post
    Yes, you have nothing to do before installing catalyst 12.3. If you want you can try to edit the etc/default/grub file as described in the last link I've posted, it's not related with the graphic cards.
    When you're installing the 12.3 drivers be sure to change the comand
    Code:
    sudo sh ./amd-driver-installer-12-3-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/oneiric
    in
    Code:
    sudo sh ./amd-driver-installer-12-3-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/precise
    since you have ubuntu 12.04 installed.
    i done all the steps u mentioned. but i have no luck. still the fan running noisly and the laptop heats much more. i knw that i cant do anything with ubuntu. First of alli didnt understand the commands and such terms used. i just copy and paste in terminal. Now i want to know that is this problem will completely resolve in new ubuntu 12.04 ? so that i can run without any problem. or is their any development regarding this issue by canonocal developers ?

Beans

Salut Alexis,

Merci beaucoup de ta contribution pour ce sujet qui doit concerner de plus en plus de monde Je vais essayer de suivre ta procédure avec une installation fraîche de 12.04. Je t'ai envoyé un message privé, j'espère que tu y répondra.

Bonne journée

-----------

Hi Alexis,

Thanks a lot for your involvement in this very interesting topic ! More and more users seem concerned these days. I will try to follow the different steps that you have described before, with a fresh installation of Precise 12.04 64bits. I sent you a private message at your hotmail's, I hope you will reply soon.

Bye.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Niccola View Post
    sorry but I think your path is wrong!
    You said your path as
    /usr/lib/fglrx/dri:/usr/lib32/fglrx/dri:/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
    when it should be
    /usr/lib/fglrx/dri:/usr/lib32/fglrx/dri:/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri

I think you forgot the "dri" subdirectory that contains dri drivers
    I had the same output of Niccola and the trick works to me!
    Now my notebook is 100% working(and absolutely noiseless!)!!!

Notebook: Samsung Series 7 Chronos NP700Z5A-S02IT
    Graphics: INTEL HD Graphics 3000 + AMD Radeon HD 6750M
    xserver-xorg-video-intel + fglrx: from Ubuntu's repository
    /etc/X11/Xsession.d/10fglrx: modify as above

Thanks to all!!!

aeronutt is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Darn, this didn't work for me. I could get to login screen but nothing else, is now hanging after entering password. I've tried to change file back to previous, but looks like something got corrupted. Might need to re-install 12.04 and try again. This is worth messing with to get it right .

aeronutt is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Got it working, awesome!! Reinstalled 12.04 beta, installed fglrx from the repositories, edited the one line in the file as described above, and all is good!! I can now run gnome-shell and unity3d with either AMD gpu or intel imbedded gpu.

Beans

Is current beta 12.04 includes compatible Xorg version?I installed it but I havn't tried to do this because last time I tried this caused the same problems as in the case of aeronutt.And how can I see which version of Intel drivers is using?This problem has frustrated me quite a while...

Beans

Hey!

I have a Dell Vostro 3350 with AMD video card. I've installed ubuntu 12.04 and the latest driver from amd.com (12.3).

Starting with discrete (
    Code:
    aticonfig --px-dgpu
    ) it works fine with default Gnome (I think this is what you are referring as unity 3d), but my laptop gets warm really quick and the fan is really loud. (Though I get a good FPS in fgl_glxgears). When I switch to integrated (
    Code:
    aticonfig --px-igpu
    ), if I start default Gnome it hangs up after login (no unity 3d), but with Gnome 2D option it starts, but flickers heavily (the cursor, the windows etc, it is really annoying).

I would prefer that AMD would be turn off (only integrated) by default and sometimes when I would need some 3D accel, I would turn it on, but integrated would have the primary usage.

Is anybody experiencing this aswell? I can provide any output I can get from commands you need.

Thanks for any guidance!

EDIT:
    When I switch I get this in console:
    Code:
    PowerXpress info: Diagnostic output from /usr/lib/fglrx/switchlibglx:
    update-alternatives: figyelj!: forcing reinstallation of alternative /usr/lib/pxpress/ld.so.conf because link group x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf is broken.
    update-alternatives: figyelj!: skip creation of /etc/OpenCL/vendors/amdocl32.icd because associated file /usr/lib/fglrx/etc/OpenCL/vendors/amdocl32.icd (of link group x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf) doesn't exist.
    update-alternatives: figyelj!: not replacing /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/xorg/extra-modules with a link.

PowerXpress: Integrated GPU is selected (Power-Saving mode), please restart Xserver(s) for changes to take effect!
    I am using 64-bit version of Ubuntu 12.04. Maybe this is the one of the problems?

Page 13 of 89 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast