Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unknown large uploads.

Beans

Unknown large uploads.

I have noticed a couple of times that my network has been uploading and downloading at about 200-300Kbs when I am in the homescreen with no updates, browsers or any other programs running thats would cause such high network traffic. When I seen this happen I immediately switched off the internet for a few minutes and when I turned it back on network usage was back to normal.

I tried looking around the internet and on here for a solution but I obviously haven't found an answer yet.

Anybody got an answer for this?

winh8r is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Unknown large uploads.

Could be your email program checking for new mail/updating local mailbox, or maybe the update manager checking status in the background if it is set to do this.

Also , a lot of google services tend to "take control" of when they do things.

Is it happening regularly or just a spontaneous thing, by that I mean is it just after login or does it happen randomly after login?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I would nevertheless suspect updates going on in the background. Anyway, you can easily monitor your net traffic with tools like tcpdump or wireshark. Cheers!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by winh8r View Post
    Could be your email program checking for new mail/updating local mailbox, or maybe the update manager checking status in the background if it is set to do this.

Also , a lot of google services tend to "take control" of when they do things.

Is it happening regularly or just a spontaneous thing, by that I mean is it just after login or does it happen randomly after login?
    I don't have any email client running on my computer.

And I'm pretty sure there aren't any google services running. (What do you mean by google services??)

In the past 3 months its happened about 5 time and not at any specific time. i.e. after login.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Palmstroem View Post
    I would nevertheless suspect updates going on in the background. Anyway, you can easily monitor your net traffic with tools like tcpdump or wireshark. Cheers!
    Next time it happens I''l switch on wireshark and see what it tells me. But to be honest I don't understand most of the stuff that comes up on that. I'm still learning.

Beans
    Hidden!

Update manager? My laptop checks for updates regularly, and this sometimes creates a (usually) short lived burst of activity.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainofCrunch View Post
    I don't have any email client running on my computer.

And I'm pretty sure there aren't any google services running. (What do you mean by google services??)

In the past 3 months its happened about 5 time and not at any specific time. i.e. after login.
    Well, going by what you have said , I would say the best thing to do is , when it happens again, check the system monitor/processes or open a terminal and enter the

Code:
    command and see what is running.

My reference to google services was a bit of a broad spectrum thing but basically if you have any of the things listed here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Google_products
    installed or use them regularly then they could be updating/communicating in the background.

Are you running a firewall?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    Update manager? My laptop checks for updates regularly, and this sometimes creates a (usually) short lived burst of activity.
    The times I've seen it happening it lasted for about 20 seconds at around 300Kbs. But as soon as I see it I switch off my internet at the mains.

Would the update manager be downloading and these speeds and not uploading??

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by winh8r View Post
    Well, going by what you have said , I would say the best thing to do is , when it happens again, check the system monitor/processes or open a terminal and enter the

Code:
    command and see what is running.

My reference to google services was a bit of a broad spectrum thing but basically if you have any of the things listed here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Google_products
    installed or use them regularly then they could be updating/communicating in the background.

Are you running a firewall?
    I will check system monitor/processes next time I see it happening.

The only google program I have on my system is Google Earth and I haven't used that since I installed it because its been acting like a little bitch, the globe doesn't show up at all and most of the menus are greyed out.

Firewall, yes. Just the default.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Update manager will check what packages are installed and what has been used /installed since update manager last ran , then it will check with repository for available updates and any that are available or required will either be notified to you, downloaded in the background , or automatically installed. Depending on how you have your update manager set to run and behave.

It is usually a fairly quick process,depending on what is needed, some updates are only a few Kb's whilst others can run to many Mb's .

If nothing else is running then it will use full speed available on the connection.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast