Thread: Encryption with gpg (does this work as expected?)

Beans

Encryption with gpg (does this work as expected?)

Hi

I have a question about encrypting files with gpg, and then ensuring that the original isn't accessible. Sorry if a similar question to this has already been posted; I did a search and couldn't find the answer.

Basically, I have a plain text file that is used to store information such as my bank account number, credit card number, driving licence number, NI number, etc. I find that I frequently need these and don't like having to search around for them. For security, I have encrypted the file with gpg and then deleted the plain text version. I then wrote the following script, which I placed in my ~/bin directory.

Code:
     #!/bin/bash

EXPECTED_ARGS=1
    ERROR=1
    FILE_LOCATION="/home/xzi/Documents/personal/"

if [ $# -ne $EXPECTED_ARGS ]; then
        echo "ask expects exactly one search term."
        exit $ERROR
    fi

cd "$FILE_LOCATION"

if [ ! -f info.txt.gpg ]; then
        echo "The encrypted info file is missing!"
        exit $ERROR
    fi

if [ -f info.txt ]; then
        rm info.txt
    fi

gpg info.txt.gpg

if [ -f info.txt ]; then 
        grep -i "$1" info.txt | cut -d: -f2-3
        rm info.txt
    else 
        echo "Unable to decrypt file."
        exit $ERROR
    fi

exit 0
    This allows me to quickly search for an item and, after entering the password interactively, view the information. It seems to work as expected and is very useful. But I am concerned that there may be an obvious flaw, particularly with regard to temporary files still being left somewhere. I'm pretty new to Linux so I'm not too sure about this.

Is there any problem with using gpg like this, and are there any other files that should be deleted or precautions taken?

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Encryption with gpg (does this work as expected?)

This question would best be answered via the gnupg mailing lists. Werner Koch and others respond very quickly to questions such as this, and you'll hear your answer directly from the author of gnupg.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Encryption with gpg (does this work as expected?)

If you want to view and modify content of a gpg-encrypted file, but keep the copy on the disk always encrypted, consider using a text editor that supports decryption in the buffer. Both emacs and vi support that. I use emacs, with the following added to ~/.emacs

Code:
    ;;; EasyPG: GPG support (decrypt in buffer; save encrypted)
    (require 'epa-file)
    (epa-file-enable)
    (setq epa-armor t) ; use ASCII armored encryption
    (custom-set-variables '(epa-file-name-regexp "\\.\\(asc\\|gpg\\|gpg~\\|asc~\\)\\'"))
    Files with extensions asc, gpg are assumed to be gpg-encrypted. You can associate these extensions to be opened with emacs in your file manager (e.g. nautilus) properties, so when you click on an encrypted file, emacs launches a password prompt dialog and opens the file decrypted. When you make modifications, the file is saved back encrypted. For the dialog to work, you'll need pinentry installed (pinentry-gtk2 or pinentry-qt4 for KDE).