Thread: Database backup / restore fresh install

Beans

Angry Database backup / restore fresh install

Background
    OK, I've really screwed things up with my Mythbuntu install BE&FE on same machine, it was a 10.04 now 11.10 with a 3.2.7 Kernel.

Somewhere along the upgrade process (remote from 2000 miles away) I ended up with Nouveau sickness with a spot of lightdm-unity poisoning, leaving me with no GUI or local terminal, just remote ssh access. (Mythweb part works).

Want to achieve
    Time to start from scratch and rebuild with a clean install of 11.10.

Questions
    1. How do I backup my database using a remote ssh login to a separate remote server (I've a ftpserver in the house or a windows share).
    2. How do I import said database back into a fresh install ?
    3. Am I going to see issues with database versions or passwords? if so how to I find my db password before wiping the hdd for the fresh install.
    4. Is there any way of saving my current recordings ? It's all on the same HDD.

Hopefully it's an easy solution but I've not got a clue where to start on this one.

Thanks in advance of any pointers.
    Steven

Beans

Smile Re: Database backup / restore fresh install

Ok I'm getting somewhere.

1. I found some db backups at /var/lib/mythtv/db_backups/
    I copied these to a mounted directory on a separate machine.
    2. I beleive there is an import feature I can use once I have a fresh install (either mythconverg_restore.pl or using the import tool in the MCC GUI).
    3. Unknown if I will have a problem importing with version differences. I found a file mysql.txt which had the db password in plain text.
    4. I'm prepared to lose these

Now time to bite the bullet and do the fresh install.

Thanks for listening.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Database backup / restore fresh install

Use "mysqldump --help | more" for detailed options.

My usage is "mysqldump -u root -p mydatabase > /media/sda1/mydatabase.sql" to dump my database.

After re-installation of Ubuntu, the command is "mysql -u root -p mydatabase < /media/sda1/mydatabase.sql"

-p is for password.....

regards

Beans

Re: Database backup / restore fresh install

No, wrong answer, the right answer is here:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore

whats more the backup script is run weekly in mythbuntu by default through /etc/cron.weekly/mythtv-database.

You can run that script at any tme to have an up to the second database backup.