Thread: Putting an IDE HDD in a computer with a SATA HDD with Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Question Putting an IDE HDD in a computer with a SATA HDD with Ubuntu?

Hi.

Has anyone put an IDE HDD in a computer with a SATA HDD with Ubuntu and had no problems? Lets say we boot off the SATA and use the IDE HDD for extra storage.

Or is it best to use 2 SATAs on PC-A and 2 IDE HHD's on PC-B? Is it best not to mix them?
    1st Distro used (live CD): Knoppix in early 2007 ¦ 1st Distro Installed: Ubuntu 7.10 in Feb 2008
    GNU/Linux User #470660 – Ubuntu User #28226
    Isaac Asimov: "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Putting an IDE HDD in a computer with a SATA HDD with Ubuntu?

mixing of IDE and SATA drives doesn't hurt at all.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ddr3XD View Post
    mixing of IDE and SATA drives doesn't hurt at all.
    +1. I have it the other way around; IDE with XP and Ubuntu dual-booting and three SATA drives. All sweet. Just make sure you have the jumper set correctly on the IDE drive (you don't need to worry with SATA). Slave, not master.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Question Re: Putting an IDE HDD in a computer with a SATA HDD with Ubuntu?

Thanks guys.

Quick question. Since IDE HDD's have jumpers to control slave/master - what would happen if you had a PC with 3 HDD's (all SATA). How would you select the one to boot from and have the other 2 as extra storage. Let's say we have just the 1 OS (GNU/Linux of course).
    1st Distro used (live CD): Knoppix in early 2007 ¦ 1st Distro Installed: Ubuntu 7.10 in Feb 2008

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Rytron View Post
    Thanks guys.

Quick question. Since IDE HDD's have jumpers to control slave/master - what would happen if you had a PC with 3 HDD's (all SATA). How would you select the one to boot from and have the other 2 as extra storage. Let's say we have just the 1 OS (GNU/Linux of course).
    your motherboard's BIOS should have the option to set the order of the drives in which to boot from. Also, even if it isn't set correctly it will still boot because after it fails to boot from one of your drives(your storage drives i guess) it will just move on to the other drive until it eventually gets to the bootable drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Quote Originally Posted by ddr3XD View Post
    your motherboard's BIOS should have the option to set the order of the drives in which to boot from. Also, even if it isn't set correctly it will still boot because after it fails to boot from one of your drives(your storage drives i guess) it will just move on to the other drive until it eventually gets to the bootable drive.
    Got it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Whichever drive has the bootloader (MBR or Master Boot Record) on is the one, with one proviso: you need to set the first drive to boot in the BIOS, and this, naturally, you would set to the one with the MBR, presumably the one with Ubuntu on (although you can install the bootloader to any of the drives, don't: keep it simple).

Hope that helps further.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

My motherboard has a bank of six SATA connectors. They are labelled from SATA1 through to SATA6. I only have one SATA hard disk, so which connector do you think that I plugged it into?

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    My motherboard has a bank of six SATA connectors. They are labelled from SATA1 through to SATA6. I only have one SATA hard disk, so which connector do you think that I plugged it into?

Regards.
    Is that a question or statement? i couldn't tell.

If it's a statement then let me also add that: the motherboard does not necessarily boot from the devices in the order that they are plugged into the SATA ports.

If its a question then the port in which you plug the HD into doesn't matter.