Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Issues with Asus U56e: Wireless does not connect, kernel stopped upgrading, runs hot

Beans

Issues with Asus U56e: Wireless does not connect, kernel stopped upgrading, runs hot

Hello,

I recently purchased an Asus U56e (Intel Core i5-2410M, 6gb RAM), and the first thing I did was install Ubuntu 11.10. I have used Ubuntu on other machines for several years with varying degrees of success, and chose the U56E because it had the features I wanted and I did not find any indication that it was incompatible with Ubuntu. I currently have it triple booting along with Mint 12 and Windows 7 (eek), neither of which I really use. When I first installed, it would crash if I shut the lid or suspended it, but that I have fixed. There are three problems that I still find extremely inconvenient:

1: Wireless does not work in Ubuntu. I have tried many of the fixes suggested here, with no effect.

2: After 3.0.0-14-generic, my kernel quit upgrading. Both 3.0.0-15 and 3.0.0-16 have downloaded and installed when I upgrade, but never replaced the old one when I boot. when I type try to install 3.0.0-16 it says it is already installed and the latest version.

3: My machine runs hot, and battery life is much better in Windows. The fan runs constantly in Ubuntu, while in windows it only seems to turn on when I am doing heavy processing.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ubun2 gy

P.S.
    I think it would be nice if Ubuntu ran a little leaner in general. Compiz crashes frequently, and boot time in 11.10 is horrible compared to 11.04. Granted, I still did beat my brothers Macbook Pro nicely (26.3 seconds to 56.x seconds ).

Beans

Re: Issues with Asus U56e: Wireless does not connect, kernel stopped upgrading, runs

Bump!

Beans

Update

Today my brother and I figured out the kernel problem, but the other two problems remain unresolved. The kernel problem was that Mint is in control (don't ask me why) of grub, so I updated the kernel in Ubuntu and then updated grub from Mint.

Beans

Re: Update

I guess you installed Mint last. You can solve it reinstalling grub from ubuntu (check this for more info):

Code:
    sudo grub-install --recheck /dev/sdX
    sudo update-grub
    (replace X according to your drive, "sda" for example)

For the power issue (fans, temperature, battery life), try adding i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 as a kernel boot parameter: in the grub menu, press "e" to edit the line of Ubuntu, and then add that to the end of the line of the kernel (starting with linux).
    For example: linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-16-generic <...> quiet splash vt.handoff=7 i915.i915_enable_rc6=1

If that works, you can modify grub to have it permanent:
    Code:
     gksu gedit /etc/default/grub
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash i915.i915_enable_rc6=1"
    And update grub, sudo update-grub

They are fixing some bugs to have that as default in 12.04. Check this.

About the wireless, do you see any network at all?
    Last edited by @gu79; March 8th, 2012 at 12:38 PM.

Beans

Re: Issues with Asus U56e: Wireless does not connect, kernel stopped upgrading, runs

I had the same problem with the same computer enter these commands and it will be solved.

sudo modprobe -r iwlagn
    sudo modprobe iwlagn bt_coex_active=0

If it worked you need to make it permanent.

To make the change permanent:

gsku gedit /etc/modprobe.d/iwl.conf

Copy/paste this line into the new file:
    options iwlagn bt_coex_active=0

Save and quit.

After you do this you will experience very slow internet connection but it can be solved by making iwlag not use n and it can be done with these commands.

sudo rmmod -f iwlagn
    sudo modprobe iwlagn 11n_disable=1

if you see it made a difference once again you must make it perminent..

gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/iwlagn-disable11n.conf
    options iwlagn 11n_disable=1

Save and quit.
    And thats all

Beans

@gu79,
    thanks for responding. Wireless networks show up fine, but when I try to connect it tries for a few minutes and then announces that it has failed and keeps on trying indefinitely.

I tried both of the fixes you mentioned. The grub update worked nicely, but RC6 garbled the top bar, lost my unity settings and made 1024 x 768 the only available screen resolution, so I think I will just wait until April 26th in case 12.04 has improved the power handling.

WBMachinery,
    I just tried what you suggested (with gksu substituted for gsku), and it seems to have worked admirably - thank you! I did not notice it being slow after the first command, but I was not doing anything very taxing so I did the second one for good measure. I am happy to say that this post was made on wireless.

Thank you both for the help,
    Ubun2 gy

EDIT: My apologies for the slow reply, the power has been out for several days here (west coast of Canada), and other power outages that did not directly affect me knocked out my Internet two or three times.
    Last edited by Ubun2 gy; March 18th, 2012 at 05:33 AM.

Beans

Thank you!
    The mod worked!!

But when we wanted to make the change permanent, Ubuntu did not recognize the gsku function.

We are COMPLETE Ubuntu newbies.

Is there a way to get that function? Is it part of a downloadable and installable addition? We're currently running 11.10 with the latest updates.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by skyeman1 View Post
    But when we wanted to make the change permanent, Ubuntu did not recognize the gsku function.
    That's a typo. Instead of gsku, you should use gksu, so:

gksu gedit /etc/modprobe.d/iwl.conf

"sudo" gives the instructions you are executing root (administrative) privileges, while gksu does the same, but for visual applications outside the terminal (read sudo vs gksu).

Beans

Glad I could help! (sorry for the typo)

Beans

Hello,
    Thanks for the help on these issues!

I upgraded to 12.04 today, and my WiFi bit the dust again (even though it is a LTS...).

It did a similar thing to when I first installed 11.10; my network showed up, but it spent forever trying to connect. The only difference was that in the network connections indicator (if that is what it is called), there was a small arrow next to the network name which popped out into a long list of the network name and then a number. There were about twenty of them, and none worked.
    I tried using the edit connections to delete them, but still I cannot connect to other available networks, and my network has not show up again.

I also tried using the commands WBMachinery suggested that worked on 11.10, before and after, but it did not work this time.

If you have any other suggestions I would appreciate it!
    I can also provide any other info you need.

Thanks again for you time,
    Ubun2 gy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast