Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer turns on and off, wont load OS

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Computer turns on and off, wont load OS

So I'm having an odd problem. I was playing online (xbox 360) when I noticed my computer just shut down. I thought it was just nothing so I let it restart. Well it seemed to be fine and I kept on gaming. But when I went to go on the computer, I noticed that my mouse wasn't lighting up, but my tower was. I tried to restart it, but nothing. The light on my tower would light up and I can barely hear a noise from my tower. I checked the power supply and the fan in it is going extremely slow.

Well now I can't even keep it on. It keeps shutting off and on.

I checked to see if the motherboard was the problem by taking out the RAM, but it beeped when it started up, so that is not the problem.

Could it be my power supply? I noticed that the green light was on, but the fan is barely moving when the other fans in the PC seem to be going a bit faster. There's power going through it because it turns my External HD on along with my mouse.

But it doesn't really go through to the monitor at all. It's as if the HD isn't working right.

Anyways here's some spec info that I could get:

2.9GB of RAM or so
    DVD writable drive
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Type of computer:

Lenovo think centre A55
    MT - M: 9265-KQU
    S/N: LKNRPX4

Power Supply info:
    LITE ON
    FRV P/N: 41N3479
    Lenovo Part #: L1 or LI not sure: 41n3480 LC: 36001004
    Model # PS-5281-7VW ROHS
    EC-level-J83931

Thanks for any help guys. I really appreciate it. I had plans to get back into my online work, if I can't fix this soon I may lose that chance.

What I want to know if it's the power supply? Should I buy a new one or what?
    Last edited by Crazy K; February 21st, 2012 at 11:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Computer starts up, but wont load the OS

Also I heard if you disconnect stuff from the motherboard, like the RAM, that it will beep, and if it does that, it isn't the motherboard. Is this true?

And I understand this isn't really a Linux problem, but still, I can't seem to find help elsewhere.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

The power supply does sound dodgy. The easiest thing would be to try another power supply. Do you have another machine you could swap the power supply from or borrow one from a friend. I have four or five spares knocking around but not much use to you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by trundlenut View Post
    The power supply does sound dodgy. The easiest thing would be to try another power supply. Do you have another machine you could swap the power supply from or borrow one from a friend. I have four or five spares knocking around but not much use to you.
    Do it as fast as you can!
    I once waited and the PSU came down HARD (sparks, smoke, the whole shebang),
    Fried mobo,mem,CD-drive...
    Strange enough, the HD survived and worked fine, inserted in another pc and it just booted??? Those things are tough!
    "Everything that has a beginning, has an end." --an unexpectedly wise wallpaper

Beans

Re: Computer turns on and off, wont load OS

You can check the power supply. Probably your problem is there. So all you need to check the power supply properly.

Beans
    Distro

Hey guys, bought a new PSU and it's still doing the same thing. So it wasn't that. Not sure what it could be because I don't think it's the HD or anything else. As I said before, I took the RAM out and it beeped and all that, so the motherboard should be fine.

Anything I can do to tell what the problem is? I got the thing to go faster by hitting the fan on the processor, but the problem continued.

But yeah, I might just have to get a new PC and I really doubt I can do that. I could use all the help I need with this.

The PC just keeps restarting, and all of the fans seem to run slower than normal. Even with the new PSU in it does that (returning it now).

Beans

It's still possible that there is a memory issue even if it beeped, try starting the system after removing one of the memory sticks... then try the other one, etc.

Beans
    Distro

I have a feeling it's the processor that's causing problems. I don't know a whole lot about the insides of a PC. But I looked some info up and it could very well be the processor and the thermal paste not cooling it down enough. I read a bit of info on it that this could force your PC to re-boot constantly because there's a precautionary measure introduced when an overheating problem occurs.

Think it's worth a shot trying? I checked the processor and there didn't look to be a lot of thermal paste.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by hildenbrandsteven View Post
    It's still possible that there is a memory issue even if it beeped, try starting the system after removing one of the memory sticks... then try the other one, etc.
    I tried them both separately. And the same thing happened.

Beans
    Distro

I just rechecked the thermal paste. Is it supposed to be dry? I have no idea if it should be greasy, or dry. But from the looks of it, it's quite dry. And I felt it too and it does feel dry.

Could this be the problem?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast