Thread: Ubuntu 11.10 install driving me MAD!

Beans

Ubuntu 11.10 install driving me MAD!

Ok... Im pretty much a nOOb, so I apologize in advance if these questions are silly and basic. I'm trying to learn as I go, albeit not very successfully... so far! ha ha

I'm trying to install Ubuntu 11.10 on my Dell Inspiron 5030. I thought I was successful... but I'm having a few issues that are driving me crazy. AAaaagghhh!!

When I re-boot, I get a screen that lets me choose between Ubuntu or Windows, which was previously on my laptop. But, when I click on Ubuntu I get this message:

error: couldn't read file

error: you need to load the kernel first

I've looked and looked and tried and tried, but I cant figure out what I'm doing wrong and/or what I need to do right...

Also, now that I've installed Ubuntu, when I go to Windows, everything seems to be perfectly fine and exactly as it was before, BUT now I cant connect to the internet... I clicked on 'detect network problems' with no success- it says no connections are available... But I know they are, as I'm on the internet now on my Powerbook, my wi-fi is working fine on my t.v., my iPod is online, etc....

Anyways, if someone could help point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it... And, once again, I'm sorry if these are silly, basic questions or problems...

Thanks!

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 11.10 install driving me MAD!

Kernel problem indicates the ubuntu installation got borked up somehow. Did you do a WUBI install or a dual boot? Have you tried reinstalling ubuntu?
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
    Free Moonbase Commander remake @ http://code.google.com/p/tether

Beans

No, I havent tried re-installing... I wasnt sure if that was the best course of action. To answer your question, I installed off of a CD I got out of Ubuntu User magazine...

I'll try reinstalling...

Thanks!

Beans

Well jeez, that was an easy fix... thanks!

Now... I've got Ubuntu up and running-finally!- but still not internet. Everything else seems to be great. I did some digging, and I read some posts about people having similar problems, but I can seem to figure out whats wrong... fwiw, I cant get on the internet in Ubuntu AND Windows... This problem came up right after the first time I (tried to) install Ubuntu...

If anyone could give me some advice, or point me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful...

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by DenverChris View Post
    Well jeez, that was an easy fix... thanks!

Now... I've got Ubuntu up and running-finally!- but still not internet. Everything else seems to be great. I did some digging, and I read some posts about people having similar problems, but I can seem to figure out whats wrong... fwiw, I cant get on the internet in Ubuntu AND Windows... This problem came up right after the first time I (tried to) install Ubuntu...

If anyone could give me some advice, or point me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful...

Thanks!
    Your Ubuntu installation wouldn't have affected your Windows installation at all. If you're having internet trouble in Windows, too, it's probably going to be a problem with your ISP, modem, or router.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi, it is possible that the internet got turned off in the bios you can check there as well.

Also make sure that the internet did not get turned off by the hardware switch it may be a key combination that turns it on.

Is it your wired or wireless internet? I can probably help with wireless.
    Thanks