Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to enable Grilo UPnP plugin in Rhythmbox?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Unhappy How to enable Grilo UPnP plugin in Rhythmbox?

The newest version of rhythmbox should have a Grilo UPnP plugin (http://projects.gnome.org/rhythmbox/rhythmbox-2.95.news), but I can't find it in Rhythmbox and a way to enable it.
    I installed rhythmbox 2.95 according to this instruction (http://www.webupd8.org/2012/01/rhyth...d-to-gtk3.html).
    The rhythmbox-plugin-coherence (http://coherence.beebits.net/wiki/RhythmBox) is not in the normal repositories (Ubuntu 11.10) anymore and so I thought it would be great to have the new rhythmbox version with pre-installed (?) Grilo plugin instead of installing from another repository or manually.

Or do I need to install the Grilo plugin with another repository (ppa:grilo-team/ppa) in Ubuntu (https://live.gnome.org/Grilo)? And add the plugin from there?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How to enable Grilo UPnP plugin in Rhythmbox?

Can anybody help? I would be very happy .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

If the plug-in is installed properly it should appear on the list when you select Edit > Plug-ins. The PPA may be the best way to get the latest updates and no matter what method you use make sure the plug-in is compatible with the version of Ubuntu and Rythmbox in use .As you know Rythmbox is not the default player in 11.10.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Angry Re: How to enable Grilo UPnP plugin in Rhythmbox?

Dear Frogs Hair,

Thanks a lot for your reply! If I understand you right, I have to install the
    grilo plugins (grilo-0.1-plugins) in addition to the new rhythmbox.
    Or should it come along with the new rhythmbox installation (through the ppa:webupd8team/rhythmbox)?

Well, I installed grilo-0.1-plugins (with some additional recommended
    packages: libgrilo-0.1 (0.1.18-1~oneiric2), libgupnp-av-1.0-2
    (0.8.0-2), libtracker-sparql-0.10-0 (0.10.24-1build2), libunistring0
    (0.9.3-4)) from the ppa:grilo-team/ppa. Unfortunately there has not been an new
    plugin (e.g. Grilo plugin) within rhythmbox (Edit > Plug-ins).

So I added grilo-0.1-tools, then gir1.0-grilo-0.1, but no effect neither.

How do I know whether the plug-ins are compatible with Ubuntu 11.10?

What next?

Cheers,

tellapu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Bump!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well, it seems that nobody knows anything at the moment, probably it does not yet work ... The coherence plugin does not work anymore.
    So I use ushare: Another quite stable solution for UPnP shares is the command line tool uShare that also works independent of a running music player. After set up with

• sudo dpkg-reconfigure ushare
    • we can share any directory or multiple directory by running
      ushare -D --name=<name_of_my_stream> --content=<path_to_mediafiles>
    • In case you are not so comfortable with the command line there is a GUI tool stream2ip (https://launchpad.net/stream2ip/+download) that will do most of the work for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Grilo plugin is not built as a part of Rhythmbox in Precise. The package needs to be modified for this.

I filed LP:973295 for this but Grilo is currently in Universe which may mean that it won't make it to Main (where rhythmbox-plugins are) until release.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for your research and sharing your information. It is really sad that it seems the UPnP plugin does even not to work in 12.04 (Precise Pangolin). I hoped they will fix it with the new version. I emailed the developers of rhythmbox a while ago.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It is not the rhythmbox developers' fault but a packaging issue. Visualisation plugin is also not being built as it uses libmx which is in Universe.

Anyway, rhythmbox 2.96-0ubuntu4~lp973295 is currently being built in my testing PPA at ppa:rye/testing where rhythmbox-plugins package will include Grilo plugin, so feel free to test it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi rtg!
    Thanks for the clarification. Are you in the rhythmbox team?
    I tried to contact them but never received an answer ... Hopefully the packaging issue can be solved.
    Thanks for the testing-ppa-offer, at the moment I won't have time to try it, perhaps when I have installed Ubuntu 12.04, I will give it a try.
    Thx anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast