Thread: How to I run the program I just installed?

Question How to I run the program I just installed?

I just installed Mathematica/8., but I'm not sure how to run it? I am running Ubuntu 11.04 in classic desktop, so I checked under the "applications" drop down menu. It was not there. How can I find it?

This is what I did.

Code:

user@computer:~$ cd ~/Downloads  
      user@computer:~/Downloads$ ls  
       Mathematica_8.0.4_LINUX.sh  

Wolfram Mathematica 8 Installer  
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Copyright (c) 1988-2011 Wolfram Research, Inc. All rights reserved.  

WARNING: Wolfram Mathematica is protected by copyright law and international treaties. Unauthorized reproduction or distribution may result in severe  
      civil and criminal penalties and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under law.  

Enter the installation directory, or press ENTER to select /usr/local/Wolfram/Mathematica/8.0:  
      > 

Create directory (y/n)?  
      > y  

Now installing...  
      [*******************************************************************] 

Type the directory path in which the Wolfram Mathematica script(s) will be created, or press ENTER to select /usr/local/bin:  
       >
       >sudo /usr/local/bin   

Create directory (y/n)?  
      > y  

Installation complete.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How to I run the program I just installed?

Mathmatica should be installed into /usr/local/bin from what I can see. Try going into that folder and you should find it. Is this definitely a full GUI program? Usually a proper GUI program will put an entry into your Applications menu, but a terminal program will not.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

I tried

user@Computer:~$ cd /usr/local/bin
    user@Computer:/usr/local/bin$ ls

but there's nothing in there. I'm not sure what it means to be full GUI program. But the guys at wolfram are world class programmers, so I'd assume they'd cross all the t's and dot all the i's so to say.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Worlds Tallest Engineer View Post
    I tried

user@Computer:~$ cd /usr/local/bin
    user@Computer:/usr/local/bin$ ls

but there's nothing in there. I'm not sure what it means to be full GUI program. But the guys at wolfram are world class programmers, so I'd assume they'd cross all the t's and dot all the i's so to say.
    Did you type sudo /usr/local/bin ?? or hit the enter key and default ??
    You might want to see if you have created a directory called sudo
    AMD FX-6200 - MSI 4.1Ghz- Nvidia GTX550Ti -12/GIG - 60GB-SSD/500 Sata - 12.04 - Gnome 3

How would I check for a sudo file? I tried it without the sudo, and I tried it just hitting enter. In both cases it commented back to me that I may need root level clearance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

It looks like it was installed under /usr/local/Wolfram/Mathematica/8.0 and the scripts under /usr/local/bin (presumably to launch etc). But from your command, you ran the installation as a normal user and not using sudo (i.e. root). This is bit confusing because normal users usually don't have write access to /usr/ unless someone deliberately modified it. Or else the installation script itself is using sudo which is a bad practice. Eitherway the installation script seems to be wrong. Can you see if there is anything under /usr/local/Wolfram/Mathematica/8.0. If both /usr/local/Wolfram/Mathematica/8.0 and /usr/local/bin are empty then the script didn't install anything. In this case you may try one of the following
    1. Run the installation as sudo, for e.g.
      sudo Mathematica_8.0.4_LINUX.sh
      (ofcourse if you have ALL sudo access)
    2. Run the installation as a normal user and when it prompts for installation folder give something under your home folder for e.g. /home/user/Apps/
    Stay Foolish, Stay Hungry