Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: seahorse in 12.04?

Beans
    Hidden!

seahorse in 12.04?

Does someone know if there will be seahorse or similar gui tools for gpg operations in 12.04?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: seahorse in 12.04?

Quote Originally Posted by ottosykora View Post
    Does someone know if there will be seahorse or similar gui tools for gpg operations in 12.04?
    It loooks like there may well be a seahorse derivative in the upcoming LTS. I'm running 11.10 and am in the process of testing what comes up as "seahorse-plugins" once you add a PPA to your sources (see Launchpad link below for details). So far, it's working perfectly. Note, I did have to load gnupg-agent so I could put a 'timer' on the key password.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ns/+bug/862609

Thanks Marc!!
    Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4; AMD X2 5600+; 4GB Mushkin Enhanced DDR2 800; Seagate 250GB 7200.10 (SATA);
    ASUS DVD-E616A3T (SATA); Samsung SH-S182M (PATA); EVGA GT 220 (all work ootb)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Passwords & Keys (seahorse) is available in 12.04, what makes you think it wouldn't be?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Passwords & Keys (seahorse) is available in 12.04, what makes you think it wouldn't be?
    You are correct. I assumed the question related to the seahorse-plugins issue, which does appear to be on the way to a resolution.
    Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4; AMD X2 5600+; 4GB Mushkin Enhanced DDR2 800; Seagate 250GB 7200.10 (SATA);
    ASUS DVD-E616A3T (SATA); Samsung SH-S182M (PATA); EVGA GT 220 (all work ootb)

Beans
    Hidden!

the situation that those thigs were missing in 11.10

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ottosykora View Post
    the situation that those thigs were missing in 11.10
    They aren't missing in 11.10, there just isn't a menu option for seahorse. I f you are using Unity, just open the dash and type sea the icon should pop up.

Beans
    Hidden!

Ahh , ok understand.

It is in fact more the right click menu item for encryption decryption what is needed, but will see.

When just seahorse selected as installed software, well this is not of big use, as I still have to go to terminal and use gpg 'by hand' to encrypt files and encryption and decryption of texts happens only in enigmail.

So what is needed is the file manager plugin to be actually also able to use it efficiently.

Will this plugin be then available? Also the addon to the text editor to encrypt , clearsign etc texts?
    Last edited by ottosykora; February 22nd, 2012 at 06:45 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

With the way gnome is dropping functionality from many applications, other devs have stepped up to add what we've lost back. Have a look at this blog post, it is about Turbo-Secure, it should do what you want.

Beans
    Hidden!

With the way gnome is dropping functionality from many applications, other devs have stepped up to add what we've lost back. Have a look at this blog post, it is about Turbo-Secure, it should do what you want.
    ok, but it looks that this is about some other encryption system then gpg, repectively it seems to do the symetric encryption in many algos, but it is not clear if this can use asymetric encryption of the keys then etc.

What I am looking for is some other way to use efficiently gpg/pgp encryption in ubuntu.
    In 11.04 it is still all present, in 11.10 no trce of it and therefore curious if all thise functions will be back in 12.04 as otherwise I am not able to upgrade and have to use windows only.
    We can be asked to use CLI for gpg in 2012 seriously.

So what my original Q was, if there will be the functionality of seahorse plugin for file encryption/decryption for the natilus back and the text encryption and clearsigning for text editor back in 12.04 and all this for gpg/pgp.
    Last edited by ottosykora; February 23rd, 2012 at 07:45 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

To use gpg with nautilus, install seahorse-nautilus, reboot to start the seahorse daemon and you should be good to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast