Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Strange ram question

Beans

Re: Strange ram question

Quote Originally Posted by uk_drifter09 View Post
    1 4G USB stick and 1 2GB USB stick.

and 16GB /var/swapfile

dont think its a memory leak. its a game server and running at full capacity it takes around 10GB ram unless theres a bunch of people playing on it
    lol. You're just going to burn out those flash drives, you realize that yes?

Just buy the RAM. If it needs 10gb, don't give it 1...

Also, did you ignore the part about ubuntu-desktop? Do not install that package on Ubuntu Server. There's no point, it's a complete waste of time and resources.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
    lol. You're just going to burn out those flash drives, you realize that yes?

Just buy the RAM. If it needs 10gb, don't give it 1...

Also, did you ignore the part about ubuntu-desktop? Do not install that package on Ubuntu Server. There's no point, it's a complete waste of time and resources.

had no choice had to get the desktop so that i can get that auto update for my wireless driver to get updated
    but ifi knew how to get back to terminal only that would help not the desktop background with terminal i mean strait black screen with flashing bar saying login

Beans

also being able to connected my wireless with the passcode wpa2 or whatever the hell its called

Beans

had no choice had to get the desktop so that i can get that auto update for my wireless driver to get updated
    but ifi knew how to get back to terminal only that would help not the desktop background with terminal i mean strait black screen with flashing bar saying login
    also being able to connected my wireless with the passcode wpa2 or whatever the hell its called
    You're running it on wireless? bwhahahahahahahaha, dude just install the Desktop Edition. You're not running a server.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Nevermind trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole, you seem to be trying to hammer in a chicken.

Have you thought that the problem could be that one or more of the flash drives are failing? Given the ratio of ram to swap they must be getting absolutely hammered with constant reads and writes.

It could be coincidence that this problem occurred when you installed ubuntu-desktop or you have increased your memory usage even more and it is having issues swapping.
    Last edited by trundlenut; February 21st, 2012 at 01:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I'm gonna take a stab;

My pc (ubuntu server 11.10 and i added gui myself (i like to be able to decide for myself how it's gonna look; nothing better than a blank canvas (analogy for: linux system which i can make look/work like i want yet still have all the power from the distro that is Ubuntu)) used ot have 256mb ram;
    it used it's few gig swap all the time, this would cause problems.

An example is when i open firefox (ram usage: 128mb) and open a site with loads of graphics it started to swap heavy!!! You couldn't get in because it couldn't start any program until firefox would have stopped swapping (consumes loads of CPU and blocks other progs). I could usually fix this by unplugging net and waiting for FF to time out. I guess this is true for all cases where you need more ram than you have. (recently 4x the mem; runs a lot better now!)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by roelforg View Post
    I'm gonna take a stab;

My pc (ubuntu server 11.10 and i added gui myself (i like to be able to decide for myself how it's gonna look; nothing better than a blank canvas (analogy for: linux system which i can make look/work like i want yet still have all the power from the distro that is Ubuntu)) used ot have 256mb ram;
    it used it's few gig swap all the time, this would cause problems.

An example is when i open firefox (ram usage: 128mb) and open a site with loads of graphics it started to swap heavy!!! You couldn't get in because it couldn't start any program until firefox would have stopped swapping (consumes loads of CPU and blocks other progs). I could usually fix this by unplugging net and waiting for FF to time out. I guess this is true for all cases where you need more ram than you have. (recently 4x the mem; runs a lot better now!)
    Running Firefox on a server too? Yeesh. You guys really aren't running servers are you....

Everyone realizes you can run the same server 'services' on the Desktop Edition, right!?!?

There's really no point in installing the ubuntu-desktop package on the Server Edition. Don't do it!! Just install the Desktop edition from the get-go. If you feel you need a UI, then you certainly don't need the Server Edition.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
    Running Firefox on a server too? Yeesh. You guys really aren't running servers are you....

Everyone realizes you can run the same server 'services' on the Desktop Edition, right!?!?

There's really no point in installing the ubuntu-desktop package on the Server Edition. Don't do it!! Just install the Desktop edition from the get-go. If you feel you need a UI, then you certainly don't need the Server Edition.
    May i tell you that my pc's don't have a lot of ram?
    I like to use the server version as it allows me to design the graphical side to my likes and not leave any unwanted default stuff.
    + I like my own GUI setup much better than the ones on the normal ubuntu versions (lubuntu,kubuntu,Xubuntu included).

FYI: Who said this is a server? And who said my reasons for using the Server version have anything to do with the 'services' (as you call them, i just call them daemons) i can or (as you say) cannot run on this thing?
    Last edited by roelforg; February 21st, 2012 at 04:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro

May i tell you that my pc's don't have a lot of ram?
    I like to use the server version as it allows me to design the graphical side to my likes and not leave any unwanted default stuff.
    + I like my own GUI setup much better than the ones on the normal ubuntu versions (lubuntu,kubuntu,Xubuntu included).
    Mem stats:
    With FF open (8 tabs): 325mb ram.
    W/O FF: 170 mb ram.

This is with a fully graphical system on a pentium IV.
    Try pulling that off with the normal versions and still have a smooth running system.
    I once tried to use standard ubuntu, unity kept freezing and took well over 4 minutes to come up with the app selection "home screen", the pc was fully booted.
    This setup has delays in the milliseconds, on the same PC!

+ I like to think of the server version as a blank canvas, you've got all the power/support/info/every good thing about ubuntu, yet you can decorate it to your likes!

So, Yes i use the server version and no this pc wasn't even meant to be used as a server!
    (My home server runs Ubuntu Server too, it uses Ubuntu Server as a server (only access: ssh/web/git/ftp...).
    Linux is the O/S of freedom! So let me be free to choose wherether i use the server version and mold that raw block of linux goodness to my own likes or use the standard one which is too heavy (as in: requires so much resources that it keeps freezing) to run on my pc at all!

+ I like the CLI a lot; do most of my work in a terminal;
    I use a heavily modded LXDE/XDM combi, works great and (thanks to the mods) looks great too!

I don't need LibreOffice, i never use it, so i didn't install it.

So maybe i don't have all those fancy config apps, i don't want them! I prefer setting up NIC's with /etc/network/interfaces; much more control!

I'm gonna expect a rant for enabeling the root account.
    Last edited by roelforg; February 21st, 2012 at 04:16 PM.

Beans

This is with a fully graphical system on a pentium IV.
    Hooray for you?

I'm gonna expect a rant for enabeling the root account.
    Meh, you can be dumb with your own equipment. Just so long as you realize you're being dumb, that's what really matters.

Edit - I also thought you were just blindly installing the ubuntu-desktop package. What you're doing is quite a bit better than that... If you read the OP, you can see he did this already. Just ruined his server install.
    Last edited by arrrghhh; February 21st, 2012 at 06:54 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast