Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strange ram question

Beans

Exclamation Strange ram question

Ok my ubuntu 10.04.3 lts server edition

installed apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

and i have 1885mb of ram and 3875 similar to that for swap.

i have done the dev/sda sdb thumb drives to add more swap bringing it to 11GB

also added a really large /var/swapfile with swapon

i need 16GB of solid ram/swap

currently how i have it so far after a period of time not sure why but my system COMPLETELY locks up in black screen losing all network access ssh access and cannot get out of the blank screensaver

does anyone happen to know a good way of addign swap and having it more stable.

would making 16 1024mb size swap files work better then one 16gb swap file or what would you suggest.

16gb swapfile in /var directory.
    one 4GB thumb drive
    one 2GB thumb drive

are all acting as swap.

any ideas would be great thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Strange ram question

When running is the machine actually using swap? If so how much?

I think a better idea would be to increase the amount of ram in the machine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by trundlenut View Post
    When running is the machine actually using swap? If so how much?

I think a better idea would be to increase the amount of ram in the machine.
    +1. All sounds a little convoluted.

Beans

well thats just it at the moment i cant afford to get new ram to upgrade it but 45mb give or take is left on ram and then over 7GB of swap is being used at the moment without crash if i use up to 16 and run everything i need to be running it will get up to 10GB and eventually gets up to 16GB but has never capped out on swap ever it just freezes and have to hard reboot

Beans

Obviously there is something weird going on, like a memory leak. What you need to do is use top (or your favorite system monitor) to determine what is using all that memory. I have never heard of an Ubuntu install using 1gb of RAM plus 16gb of swap, that's crazy! Do I understand correctly that you are using USB flash drives for swap??

Your goal should be to reduce your usage to under your 1gb of physical RAM. That will give the best performance (swap is very slow by nature).

Beans

Yea, there's some serious memory leak going on.

Is this a new install? Did it just start happening? You might want to strip it down to the basics.

Also, why are you doing apt-get install ubuntu-desktop? You just ruined your server installation. If you want Ubuntu Desktop, install Ubuntu Desktop. If you want a server w/o a GUI, install Ubuntu Server.

Seriously. There's no point in installing Ubuntu Server, then doing an apt-get install ubuntu-desktop. Some have gone thru the pain of setting up a GUI that's lightweight like LXDE, but I honestly don't see the point. You can manage a server remotely, no need for a DE... That just wastes resources that you are obviously lean on!!

Beans

1 4G USB stick and 1 2GB USB stick.

and 16GB /var/swapfile

dont think its a memory leak. its a game server and running at full capacity it takes around 10GB ram unless theres a bunch of people playing on it

Beans

I think it's just a case of "not the right tool for the job," sorry. If your app requires 10gb ram, you can't simulate that reliably with 1gb ram and some thumb drives. But I am not a game server expert, I don't want to give you bad/wrong advice...

Beans

well it used to work and i did find a thread before that it had something to do with the desktop i installed and i did something before and it never froze up

i dont think its the swap that could be causing it

does this sound familiar?

Beans

You need to use top and look at some actual numbers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast