Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic gnome is back in 12.04

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Classic gnome is back in 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen69 View Post
    Well since 12.04 is going to be supported for 5 years, gnome fallback will be around that long too.
    Yes, but will anybody be developing for it? That's the question. Gnome 2 is still available in other distros and will be for years to come, but it's already practically a zombie DE.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm not sure what you are asking, but gnome-classic runs on top of GTK-3, most programs written using GTK-2 still run on it. Who knows though, 5 years from now when 12.04 eol's we may not be using anything we use now.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    Yes, but will anybody be developing for it? That's the question. Gnome 2 is still available in other distros and will be for years to come, but it's already practically a zombie DE.
    I don't think you're going to see an applet ecosystem develop around the Gnome-fallback panel like you did with the Gnome 2 panel. The Gnome developers have already stated that fallback mode is a short-term hack - they hope to discontinue it once Shell performs acceptably on machines without hardware acceleration.

While I applaud Canonical's move to include Gnome classic in 12.04 (and more importantly, their active development effort to port indicators to the panel), I think this is more a move to keep enterprises onboard than to satisfy the "I hate Unity" crowd.

Beans

it doesn't matter whether anyone is happy now.....it only matters how Mark is feeling. How about that Mint/Cinnamon?
    AMD 64 3000+, 2G RAM, ASUS K8N , XFX GS7800, Linux Mint 9 , WinXP(dual boot/seperate HD)

Stalker's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving how much the United States sucks approaches one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by PhilGil View Post
    While I applaud Canonical's move to include Gnome classic in 12.04 (and more importantly, their active development effort to port indicators to the panel), I think this is more a move to keep enterprises onboard than to satisfy the "I hate Unity" crowd.
    You're reading too much into it, I believe.

Ubuntu 11.10 already includes Gnome Fallback, and it's probably more to do with it being part of a stock Gnome Shell installation and "well we might as well include this 1 MiB part too".

I don't think there was any effort required to "port" indicators to it. Indicators ran on the old Gnome Panel just fine - they were implemented as Gnome Panel applets. If Gnome Panel applets work on Gnome Fallback, then the indicator applets will too.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

It doesn't matter if they take Gnome Classic out. You'll always be able to install extensions in Gnome Shell to customize it and make it look just like Gnome Classic. It's as simple as going to the extension web site with Firefox and clicking on a button that looks like an on/off switch.

That's the great thing about Gnome Shell. There are tons of extensions out there to customize it, and the number of extensions is only going to get greater.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

@3rdalbum
    I understand that fallback mode has been available in Gnome 3 and is not an Ubuntu project, but according to this story, indicator applet was ported to GTK3 and that Canonical has been devoting developer resources to "Ubuntuizing" gnome-classic.

@forrestcupp
    Actually, classic is essential at this point as Gnome Shell (and all the cool extensions) won't run on graphics that are not hardware-accelerated.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by PhilGil View Post
    @forrestcupp
    Actually, classic is essential at this point as Gnome Shell (and all the cool extensions) won't run on graphics that are not hardware-accelerated.
    Good point. It's hard to believe there are still computers that don't work with hardware acceleration.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    It doesn't matter if they take Gnome Classic out. You'll always be able to install extensions in Gnome Shell to customize it and make it look just like Gnome Classic.
    Well... yes and no... I could use compiz and emerald in Gnome2 (I love glassy/aero themes) but I can't do that in Gnome Shell and (someone correct me) there's no extension on the planet that's going to allow me to run compiz or emerald in Gnome Shell. Instead, I'm stuck with a DE that is, in my subjective opinion, comparable to XP or Win2000 -- ugly and dated.

Quote Originally Posted by click4851 View Post
    it doesn't matter whether anyone is happy now.....it only matters how Mark is feeling. How about that Mint/Cinnamon?
    Ha! Reminds me of the scene in Victor Victoria when James Garner walks into a bad-*** pub and asks the bartender for warm milk. You trying to start a fight? My own Cinnamon thread was quickly booted into "Other OS's". I notice the latest notice on Cinnamon was allowed to remain at the Community Cafe.
    Last edited by neu5eeCh; February 21st, 2012 at 06:01 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    Good point. It's hard to believe there are still computers that don't work with hardware acceleration.
    It's not just that the older hardware doesn't have graphics acceleration -- the older hardware drivers may not be accepted by Unity. I have a desktop with an nVidia FX5200 card that is blacklisted by Unity, but runs fine with hardware acceleration on U10.04.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast