Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Classic gnome is back in 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Classic gnome is back in 12.04

great to hear classic is back,i have have 8 nephews and nieces all using old p4 3g thinkcenter 8171 desktops as their personal computers and there is no way unity or any graphic accelerated required desktop will work on them.

the videos drivers for Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 on the systems just barley work as is..
    and i really wanted 12.04 on their computers as the last update they will ever need. (before the computers go in the garbage)

i need classic to stay with ubuntu..
    or they do,,,i should say

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DeathShot View Post
    ...but it is evident that fallback mode was not a real concern when they released Gnome3...
    Vincent Untz, the GNOME developer who ported the gnome-panel to GNOME3, seems to think differently: http://www.vuntz.net/journal/post/20...e-gnome-panel!
    Comments 44, 50 and 58 are interesting. It seems the fallback mode will exist as long as GNOME3 does, at least according to that particular GNOME developer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It was important that it will exist, but my point was no real effort was put in into making it very usable.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen69 View Post
    For all of those that loved gnome 2, classic gnome will be available in 12.04 by
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback
    It is not just a watered down version of gnome 2, but is pretty much an exact clone of gnome 2, (using it right now) and will be available in regular, and 2D mode. I have attached a screenshot.

Before, there was Applications, Places, and System menus. Now there are only 2, Applications and Places, with System integrated into the Applications menu. And to add applets (Add to Panel) to the bottom panel, you need to do: Super key-Alt-right click. You can also drag menu items onto the panel for shortcuts.

So next time someone complains about unity, tell them to wait for 12.04 to get classic gnome back. Plus, people will not need to run old versions of ubuntu to have a gnome 2 like experience. Happy now?
    It never went away:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1886799

Yes, it changed but it never went away ............. and it'll be easier to do in Precise which is a 5 year LTS

Beans

There are other threads to discuss whether or not you like unity. If this thread does not stay on topic, I will ask for it to be closed. Carry on.
    Why close an entire thread

If someone is posting in a less than appropriate manner report that post ........... then that post can be jailed and the poster can be warned

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

For all of those that loved gnome 2, classic gnome will be available in 12.04 by
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback
    It is not just a watered down version of gnome 2, but is pretty much an exact clone of gnome 2, (using it right now) and will be available in regular, and 2D mode. I have attached a screenshot.

Before, there was Applications, Places, and System menus. Now there are only 2, Applications and Places, with System integrated into the Applications menu. And to add applets (Add to Panel) to the bottom panel, you need to do: Super key-Alt-right click. You can also drag menu items onto the panel for shortcuts.

So next time someone complains about unity, tell them to wait for 12.04 to get classic gnome back. Plus, people will not need to run old versions of ubuntu to have a gnome 2 like experience. Happy now?
    Thanks for thinking of us old-timers!
    Maybe I'm just getting old but Ubuntu keeps removing all the things I loved about it when I first switched from Suse to Ubunut 80.04. I have tried several distros a year and am looking for something that does not look like it runs on a phone!
    Android is great on a phone, Docky looks nice on my home theater but as a programmer trying to get work done the dock is the pits.....

They removed Amorak 1.4 and Grub1's ability to log to another terminal in my home. They did away with AMeal which is my favorite in the kitchen! From the looks of things I may just have to remove Ubuntu!
    my first linux was Slax1.0 so maybe I do long for the old days, and that took over a day to download.

Rev. Dr. Alfred J. Haines retired

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678