Thread: Suggestion: Automatically close threads older than one year

Beans

Suggestion: Automatically close threads older than one year

Suggestion in short: Automatically close threads older than one year? So it matches the below quoted forum rule.

Suggestion in detail:
    Today I learned that there is a forum rule that reads as follow
    If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.
    I understand the rule and I'm really happy to follow it

But it seems that lots of time and energy is spent by forum moderators to manually close those threads older than one year. And users like me are likely to forget from time to time then revive from the dead an old thread. About the ubuntuforums.org system to automatically close threads older than one year and provide users with an automated reminder?

Attached is a screenshot of the expected result. After the user click on the "reply" button. This is the screen that would automatically be presented to them. Maybe this feature is already existing and it could simply be edited to be trigger when users try to post a reply to threads older than one year. To clarify the expected result try to post a reply at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=646692

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Francewhoa; February 20th, 2012 at 03:40 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Suggestion: Automatically close threads older than one year

@Onopoc, thanks for your suggestion, but as we are getting closer to upgrading the forum software, nothing will be done until this happens. We will revisit your suggestion after the upgrade has been completed.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I prefer that a thread is only closed if we know positively that the contents is obsolete. There can be many a good thread with valid contents older than a year.

Don't judge a book by the cover!

Anyway, as Cariboo said nothing is initiated before the forum software is upgraded.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

'Solved' threads, as long as the solution is not redundant, are always valuable, regardless of age. Any 'Solved' thread should be thoroughly reviewed/researched before deletion. (IMHO)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Any 'Solved' thread should be thoroughly reviewed/researched before deletion. (IMHO)
    The OP was making a suggestion about thread closure, not deletion. Deletion of solved threads is not under consideration.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    the op was making a suggestion about thread closure, not deletion. Deletion of solved threads is not under consideration.
    k.