Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: wireless card (Broadcom 43225 802.11b/g/n) is not recognized on Backtrack 5 R1

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Beans
    7

    wireless card (Broadcom 43225 802.11b/g/n) is not recognized on Backtrack 5 R1

    Hello everyone, i'm new in linux in general. I had recently reinstalled my 2 pc and i decided to install ubuntu in one of them and backtrack 5 r1 on another. The problem is that, on my laptop (hp pavillion dv6 2160ep) which has Broadcom 43225 802.11b/g/n wireless adapter i had installed Backtrack and it cannot recognise the wireless card. can anyone help me?

    my kind regards to everyone

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Winchester
    Beans
    7,997
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: wireless card (Broadcom 43225 802.11b/g/n) is not recognized on Backtrack 5 R1

    Welcome to the forums,

    I have moved the thread to "Other OS/Distro Talk"
    Cheers & Beers,
    uRock™


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Beans
    1,426

    Re: wireless card (Broadcom 43225 802.11b/g/n) is not recognized on Backtrack 5 R1

    It's probably missing the driver: http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php

    But if you're running BT in live mode, this could be tricky.
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Beans
    7

    Re: wireless card (Broadcom 43225 802.11b/g/n) is not recognized on Backtrack 5 R1

    Quote Originally Posted by Dlambert View Post
    It's probably missing the driver: http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php

    But if you're running BT in live mode, this could be tricky.


    I've burned the image to a Dvd and i installed side by side with Windows 7. As i said i'm new in linux. Probably i screw everything.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Beans
    7

    Re: wireless card (Broadcom 43225 802.11b/g/n) is not recognized on Backtrack 5 R1

    Quote Originally Posted by Dlambert View Post
    It's probably missing the driver: http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php

    But if you're running BT in live mode, this could be tricky.


    I'm currently tryin to install the packages but when i prompt the command make i have the output:



    root@bt:~/Desktop/hybrid_wl# make clean
    KBUILD_NOPEDANTIC=1 make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build M=`pwd` clean
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.39.4'
    CFG80211 API is prefered for this kernel version
    /root/Desktop/hybrid_wl/Makefile:80: Neither CFG80211 nor Wireless Extension is enabled in kernel
    CLEAN /root/Desktop/hybrid_wl/.tmp_versions
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.39.4'

    root@bt:~/Desktop/hybrid_wl# make
    KBUILD_NOPEDANTIC=1 make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build M=`pwd`
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.39.4'

    WARNING: Symbol version dump /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.39.4/Module.symvers
    is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.

    CFG80211 API is prefered for this kernel version
    Using CFG80211 API
    LD /root/Desktop/hybrid_wl/built-in.o
    CC [M] /root/Desktop/hybrid_wl/src/shared/linux_osl.o
    CC [M] /root/Desktop/hybrid_wl/src/wl/sys/wl_linux.o
    CC [M] /root/Desktop/hybrid_wl/src/wl/sys/wl_iw.o
    CC [M] /root/Desktop/hybrid_wl/src/wl/sys/wl_cfg80211.o
    /root/Desktop/hybrid_wl/src/wl/sys/wl_cfg80211.c: In function ‘wl_inform_single_bss’:
    /root/Desktop/hybrid_wl/src/wl/sys/wl_cfg80211.c:1817: error: too few arguments to function ‘ieee80211_channel_to_frequency’
    make[2]: *** [/root/Desktop/hybrid_wl/src/wl/sys/wl_cfg80211.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/root/Desktop/hybrid_wl] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.39.4'
    make: *** [all] Error 2

    -> after this i tried to reinstall the packages that instruction manual specifies:


    root@bt:~/Desktop/hybrid_wl# apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-generic
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    build-essential is already the newest version.
    Package linux-headers-generic is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source
    E: Package linux-headers-generic has no installation candidate


    -> The first one was nice
    -> on the second one i had the following output :

    root@bt:~/Desktop/hybrid_wl# apt-get build-dep linux
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: You must put some 'source' URIs in your sources.list



    Can you tell me why do i get the error in the make file?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Shadow Gallery
    Beans
    6,815

    Re: wireless card (Broadcom 43225 802.11b/g/n) is not recognized on Backtrack 5 R1

    broadcom suck in Linux generally speaking (my opinion of course)

    http://blog.xuite.net/fecbob.fecstar...adcom+wireless

    Anyways no offence, as you said you are new to linux so why are you using Backtrack anyways ?

    You know it is not a typical desktop distro for everyday use right ?

    I mean it can be used that way but it is a suite of sec auditing tools built around a specialist kernel compiled for purpose.

    Plus if you want to use the wireless auditing tools under BT with that card such as aircrack or similar then they are not the best (and those tools are not supported here either incase any support questions arise about it

    http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?...bility_drivers

    and your errors are to do with sources, Backtrack uses its own repos specific to its tools and kernel, though you can add more i am pretty sure you will end up borking your system if you dont know what you are doing.



    Enjoy
    Last edited by haqking; February 20th, 2012 at 11:05 PM.
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Beans
    7

    Re: wireless card (Broadcom 43225 802.11b/g/n) is not recognized on Backtrack 5 R1

    Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    broadcom suck in Linux generally speaking (my opinion of course)

    http://blog.xuite.net/fecbob.fecstar...adcom+wireless

    Anyways no offence, as you said you are new to linux so why are you using Backtrack anyways ?

    You know it is not a typical desktop distro for everyday use right ?

    I mean it can be used that way but it is a suite of sec auditing tools built around a specialist kernel compiled for purpose.

    Plus if you want to use the wireless auditing tools under BT with that card such as aircrack or similar then they are not the best (and those tools are not supported here either incase any support questions arise about it

    http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?...bility_drivers

    and your errors are to do with sources, Backtrack uses its own repos specific to its tools and kernel, though you can add more i am pretty sure you will end up borking your system if you dont know what you are doing.



    Enjoy


    Im using backtrack because i have need to get some more experience in net auditoring. But thanks for the opinion

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Shadow Gallery
    Beans
    6,815

    Re: wireless card (Broadcom 43225 802.11b/g/n) is not recognized on Backtrack 5 R1

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Neves View Post
    Im using backtrack because i have need to get some more experience in net auditoring. But thanks for the opinion
    I would learn Linux in general first otherwise nothing in BT or sec auditing will make any sense

    BT requires a certain level of Linux knowledge to be used and so does the security tools that are built into it.

    BT is not the best distro to learn Linux, and using BT without a knowledge in Linux will leave a borked system and a headache

    Just my 2 cents of course and long time BT user.

    Peace
    Last edited by haqking; February 20th, 2012 at 11:09 PM.
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Beans
    7

    Re: wireless card (Broadcom 43225 802.11b/g/n) is not recognized on Backtrack 5 R1

    Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    I would learn Linux in general first otherwise nothing in BT or sec auditing will make any sense

    BT requires a certain level of Linux knowledge to be used and so does the security tools that are built into it.

    BT is not the best distro to learn Linux, and using BT without a knowledge in Linux will leave a borked system and a headache

    Just my 2 cents of course and long time BT user.

    Peace

    So do u suggest me to try on UBUNTU first? for example? I've some network knowlodge (well a little of course) thats why this was one of my choices.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Shadow Gallery
    Beans
    6,815

    Re: wireless card (Broadcom 43225 802.11b/g/n) is not recognized on Backtrack 5 R1

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Neves View Post
    So do u suggest me to try on UBUNTU first? for example? I've some network knowlodge (well a little of course) thats why this was one of my choices.
    try what ?

    I mean you said you new to Linux, by your posts above and not recognising the errors and such i would agree that you are (all due respect of course)

    So i would recommend getting a more grounded knowledge base in Linux itself and especially in the use of the terminal before trying to learn how to use BT.

    I am not saying you cant use BT , you can do what you like, but it will be a ongoing cause of frustration and things not working if you dont have a better grounding in general Linux skills.

    But use what works for you or you can make work

    especially compiling from source and setting up wireless and other devices as BT is only set to work with specific chipsets out of the box, others take some tweaking if work at all

    And you are better off in the BT forums for BT related questions

    you can get to them here http://www.backtrack-linux.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

    Peace
    Last edited by haqking; February 20th, 2012 at 11:20 PM.
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •