Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't connect to the router

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Can't connect to the router

I am using Ubuntu 12.04.

Previously I was using a DSL connection. I used to connect that network using pppoeconf. Recently I bought a new connection (to be precisely this one). After connecting the cable to my PC, Ubuntu doesn't get the modem. Even I can't access the router admin panel by typing 192.***.***.***.

Any Help?
    Don't be fooled with my joining date ... I am still a novice!
    Please don't PM any support questions. Post a thread instead, so that everyone can be benefited!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Can't connect to the router

* Bump *
    Please don't PM any support questions. Post a thread instead, so that everyone can be benefited!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Smile Re: Can't connect to the router

In a terminal window type ifconfig what do you see? Remember you are no longer using the DSL entry in Network Connections it needs to be removed. Under the Wired section you need to have an entry "Wired connection 1" or some other name which has Automatic (DHCP) set.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by linux6994; June 28th, 2012 at 02:39 PM.
    Mint 14 | 64bit | DT ACER VN281G | Intel® Atom™ CPU D425 @ 1.80GHz × 2 | Registered Linux User#458200

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Turn the machine off. Make sure the router is turned on and start the machine. It should be on before the computer is turned on for the system to find it, are all the lights lit?
    Last edited by critin; June 28th, 2012 at 06:04 PM. Reason: deleted a word
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by linux6994 View Post
    In a terminal window type ifconfig what do you see? Remember you are no longer using the DSL entry in Network Connections it needs to be removed. Under the Wired section you need to have an entry "Wired connection 1" or some other name which has Automatic (DHCP) set.
    The result of ifconfig is:
    Code:
    ifconfig
    lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
              inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
              RX packets:112 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:112 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
              RX bytes:8512 (8.5 KB)  TX bytes:8512 (8.5 KB)
    I've totally removed/deleted the DSL connection from the network manager. But there is not any wired network listed either (like your screen shot). May be the settings from the previous DSL connection making some conflicts. But I don't know how to solve the conflict.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by critin View Post
    Turn the machine off. Make sure the router is turned on and start the machine. It should be on before the computer is turned on for the system to find it, are all the lights lit?
    Followed your instruction and all the lights of the router lit during the procedure. No problem with the router, I can even connect to that router and browse internet with another laptop (which is running Ubuntu 12.04) with both the wired and wireless connection.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Your eth0 is not being seen since you just have the loopback showing? Do a 'lspci' and see what you have hardware wise?
    Mint 14 | 64bit | DT ACER VN281G | Intel® Atom™ CPU D425 @ 1.80GHz × 2 | Registered Linux User#458200

Beans

hi maybe nm-tool will shed some light on the matter:

Code:
    nm-tool
    also check your /etc/network/interfaces to see if there's any left over stuff about your pppoe connection in there

Code:
    cat /etc/network/interfaces

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm not at all familiar with the version of Ubuntu you are using. But..I would try and manually set up your network connection using your Administrator account and make sure you have allowed the connection to be used by all users.

Also check the Ethernet LED on the network card on your computer to see if it's lit and flashing.

If that don't work- buy a book on Relaxation & Calming Exercises and prepare yourself for a few hours of stress and burnout

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by linux6994 View Post
    Your eth0 is not being seen since you just have the loopback showing? Do a 'lspci' and see what you have hardware wise?
    Code:
    lspci

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller (rev 09)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
    00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82579V Gigabit Network Connection (rev 05)
    00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 05)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev b5)
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 05)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation H61 Express Chipset Family LPC Controller (rev 05)
    00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 4 port SATA IDE Controller (rev 05)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 05)
    00:1f.5 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 2 port SATA IDE Controller (rev 05)
    01:00.0 PCI bridge: Integrated Technology Express, Inc. Device 8892 (rev 10)
    Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    hi maybe nm-tool will shed some light on the matter:

Code:
    nm-tool
    also check your /etc/network/interfaces to see if there's any left over stuff about your pppoe connection in there

Code:
    Code:
    nm-tool

NetworkManager Tool

State: connected (global)

- Device: eth0 -----------------------------------------------------------------
      Type:              Wired
      Driver:            e1000e
      State:             unmanaged
      Default:           no
      HW Address:        E0:69:95:90:BC:E4

Capabilities:
        Carrier Detect:  yes

Wired Properties
        Carrier:         off
    Code:

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet manual

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast