Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How to stream mp3 to an airport express using only open source

Beans

Re: How to stream mp3 to an airport express using only open source

elamericano- Thanks a ton for this! I spent most of this morning trying to get this damn thing to work. I was shocked - shocked! - when my stereo speaker by my right ear started playing music.

But does anyone know why the audio output through the stereo is choppy for about 10 seconds when first starting to play it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I don't think I got it being choppy.

Is there anyway to have this working through a program like itunes? I am very impressed with the way this apears to work. Didn't have too much delay either.

Beans

iTunes has this support built in. The Airport is designed to work with iTunes.

If you're on a Windows or Mac box, there's a $25 shareware program called Airfoil (www.rogueamoeba.com) that can capture the audio from any program and output it to an Airport on your network.

Quote Originally Posted by bzzzzz View Post
    I don't think I got it being choppy.

Is there anyway to have this working through a program like itunes? I am very impressed with the way this apears to work. Didn't have too much delay either.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Yeah I can use that when I'm using xp, but how can I use it in ubuntu?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bzzzzz View Post
    Yeah I can use that when I'm using xp, but how can I use it in ubuntu?
    You can install iTunes with wine. I just did it one hour ago on my iMac running Fedora
    It's working, but there are some issues. The screen goes black every time you start iTunes. GUI is very slow. If you have a large library to browse through making a mixed playlist takes time. I haven't tested importing cd's, and since I get an error message on launch regarding some registry values for importing/burning I wouldn't bet to much on this working.

But streaming to my airport express works perfectly, and this is much less hastle than raop_play (I think). If you are running a fw with you ubuntu installation you need to open port 5353 (udp) for iTunes to find your airport express basestation.

Beans

I think I'm seeing this problem too.

When I compile raop_driver I'm seeing messages like this:

WARNING: "snd_pcm_lib_ioctl" [/home/tim/raop_play-0.5.1/drivers/alsa_raoppcm.ko] undefined!

WARNING: "snd_pcm_period_elapsed" [/home/tim/raop_play-0.5.1/drivers/alsa_raoppcm.ko] undefined!

And when I try to load the module it just hangs.

Ironically I decided to try this the day after I installed hardy!

There must be a workaround.. anyway... maybe I'll look into the diffciulty of turning the raop driver into a pulse sink... its not that long..

Tim

Beans

please...someone capable should do something about this

an AirTunes pulseaudio-sink...holy ****...I'd instantly fall in love with you

Beans

Are there any developments? I'm still using vmware to stream with raop_play . . . It's a pain:

Quote Originally Posted by simoncullen View Post
    I use the raop_play alsa driver to stream my flac files to my Benchmark DAC1. It usually works extremely well -- as well as any CD transport! However I've just upgraded to the new development kernel from Hardy "2.6.24-11-generic", and I can no longer load the driver. [Edit: I'm using the 64bit Ubuntu, in case that's important]

raop_play -- including the essential alsa driver -- compiled and installed after applying the patch to the latest 0.5.1 release.

When I try to load the driver I get this:

$ sudo sh driver_start
    FATAL: Error inserting alsa_raoppcm (/lib/modules/2.6.24-11-generic/sound/alsa_raoppcm.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    mknod: missing operand after `0'
    Try `mknod --help' for more information.

here's the dmesg:

Code:
    $ dmesg | grep alsa
    [  322.098948] alsa_raoppcm: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_new
    [  322.098950] alsa_raoppcm: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_new
    [  322.098994] alsa_raoppcm: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_lib_preallocate_pages_for_all
    [  322.098995] alsa_raoppcm: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_lib_preallocate_pages_for_all
    [  322.099029] alsa_raoppcm: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_lib_malloc_pages
    [  322.099030] alsa_raoppcm: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_lib_malloc_pages
    [  322.099043] alsa_raoppcm: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_lib_ioctl
    [  322.099043] alsa_raoppcm: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_lib_ioctl
    [  322.099057] alsa_raoppcm: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_lib_free_pages
    [  322.099058] alsa_raoppcm: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_lib_free_pages
    [  322.099071] alsa_raoppcm: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_set_ops
    [  322.099072] alsa_raoppcm: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_set_ops
    [  322.099086] alsa_raoppcm: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_period_elapsed
    [  322.099087] alsa_raoppcm: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_period_elapsed
    [  721.923178] alsa_raoppcm: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_new
    [  721.923181] alsa_raoppcm: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_new
    [  721.923224] alsa_raoppcm: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_lib_preallocate_pages_for_all
    [  721.923225] alsa_raoppcm: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_lib_preallocate_pages_for_all
    [  721.923259] alsa_raoppcm: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_lib_malloc_pages
    [  721.923260] alsa_raoppcm: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_lib_malloc_pages
    [  721.923273] alsa_raoppcm: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_lib_ioctl
    [  721.923274] alsa_raoppcm: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_lib_ioctl
    [  721.923287] alsa_raoppcm: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_lib_free_pages
    [  721.923288] alsa_raoppcm: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_lib_free_pages
    [  721.923301] alsa_raoppcm: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_set_ops
    [  721.923302] alsa_raoppcm: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_set_ops
    [  721.923316] alsa_raoppcm: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_period_elapsed
    [  721.923317] alsa_raoppcm: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_period_elapsed
    And here's all the output from the compile/install:
    Code:
    $ make for i in rendezvous raop_play aexcl; do make -C $i; done make[1]: Entering directory `/home/simon/Desktop/raop_play-0.5.1/rendezvous' gcc -Wall -DNOT_HAVE_SA_LEN -c -o mDNSPosix.o mDNSPosix.c gcc -Wall -DNOT_HAVE_SA_LEN -c -o mDNSUNP.o mDNSUNP.c gcc -Wall -DNOT_HAVE_SA_LEN -c -o ExampleClientApp.o ExampleClientApp.c gcc -Wall -DNOT_HAVE_SA_LEN -c -o mDNS.o mDNS.c gcc -Wall -DNOT_HAVE_SA_LEN -c -o Client.o Client.c Client.c: In function 'main': Client.c:333: warning: format '%ld' expects type 'long int', but argument 4 has type 'mStatus' gcc mDNSPosix.o mDNSUNP.o ExampleClientApp.o mDNS.o Client.o -o mDNSClient make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/simon/Desktop/raop_play-0.5.1/rendezvous' make[1]: Entering directory `/home/simon/Desktop/raop_play-0.5.1/raop_play' gcc -Wall -c raop_play.c -o raop_play.o gcc -Wall -c raop_client.c -o raop_client.o gcc -Wall -c rtsp_client.c -o rtsp_client.o gcc -Wall -c aexcl_lib.c -o aexcl_lib.o gcc -Wall -c base64.c -o base64.o gcc -Wall -c aes.c -o aes.o gcc -Wall -c m4a_stream.c -o m4a_stream.o gcc -Wall -c audio_stream.c -o audio_stream.o gcc -Wall -c wav_stream.c -o wav_stream.o gcc -Wall -c mp3_stream.c -o mp3_stream.o gcc -Wall -c flac_stream.c -o flac_stream.o gcc -Wall -c ogg_stream.c -o ogg_stream.o gcc -Wall -c aac_stream.c -o aac_stream.o gcc -Wall -c pls_stream.c -o pls_stream.o gcc -Wall -c pcm_stream.c -o pcm_stream.o gcc -o raop_play -lssl -lsamplerate -lid3tag raop_play.o raop_client.o rtsp_client.o aexcl_lib.o base64.o aes.o m4a_stream.o audio_stream.o wav_stream.o mp3_stream.o flac_stream.o ogg_stream.o aac_stream.o pls_stream.o pcm_stream.o make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/simon/Desktop/raop_play-0.5.1/raop_play' make[1]: Entering directory `/home/simon/Desktop/raop_play-0.5.1/aexcl' fluid -c aexcl_gui.fl g++ -Wall -D_GNU_SOURCE -I../raop_play -I../rendezvous -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -c aexcl_gui.cxx g++ -Wall -D_GNU_SOURCE -I../raop_play -I../rendezvous -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -c aexcl_play.cxx aexcl_play.cxx: In function 'int play_next_song()': aexcl_play.cxx:154: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to 'char*' aexcl_play.cxx: In function 'int aex_contplay()': aexcl_play.cxx:311: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to 'char*' aexcl_play.cxx: In function 'int aex_pause()': aexcl_play.cxx:341: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to 'char*' aexcl_play.cxx: In function 'int main(int, char**)': aexcl_play.cxx:436: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to 'char*' aexcl_play.cxx:436: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to 'char*' aexcl_play.cxx:436: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to 'char*' aexcl_play.cxx:437: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to 'char*' g++ -Wall -D_GNU_SOURCE -I../raop_play -I../rendezvous -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -c ipod_browser.cxx gcc -Wall -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I../raop_play -DGLIB_SUBST -c ipod/itunesdb.c -o ipod/itunesdb.o gcc -Wall -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I../raop_play -DGLIB_SUBST -c -o ipod/glibsubst.o ipod/glibsubst.c g++ -o aexcl_play aexcl_gui.o aexcl_play.o ipod_browser.o ../raop_play/aexcl_lib.o ipod/itunesdb.o ipod/glibsubst.o -lfltk rm aexcl_gui.cxx make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/simon/Desktop/raop_play-0.5.1/aexcl' $ sudo make install for i in rendezvous raop_play aexcl; do make -C $i install; done make[1]: Entering directory `/home/simon/Desktop/raop_play-0.5.1/rendezvous' /bin/bash ../mkinstalldirs /usr/local/bin/ install -s mDNSClient /usr/local/bin make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/simon/Desktop/raop_play-0.5.1/rendezvous' make[1]: Entering directory `/home/simon/Desktop/raop_play-0.5.1/raop_play' /bin/bash ../mkinstalldirs /usr/local/bin/ install -s raop_play /usr/local/bin make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/simon/Desktop/raop_play-0.5.1/raop_play' make[1]: Entering directory `/home/simon/Desktop/raop_play-0.5.1/aexcl' /bin/bash ../mkinstalldirs /usr/local/bin/ install -s aexcl_play /usr/local/bin make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/simon/Desktop/raop_play-0.5.1/aexcl'
    And now the alsa driver:
    $ make make -C /lib/modules/2.6.24-11-generic/build SUBDIRS=/home/simon/Desktop/raop_play-0.5.1/drivers modules make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-11-generic' Building modules, stage 2. MODPOST 1 modules make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-11-generic' simon@aristurtle:~/Desktop/raop_play-0.5.1/drivers$ sudo make install install -d /lib/modules/2.6.24-11-generic/sound cp -f alsa_raoppcm.ko /lib/modules/2.6.24-11-generic/sound || exit 1 strip -g /lib/modules/2.6.24-11-generic/sound/alsa_raoppcm.ko || exit 1 depmod simon@aristurtle:~/Desktop/raop_play-0.5.1/drivers$
    In case it's relevant, here are the kernel related packages I have installed:

Code:
    $ apt-cache search 2.6.24
    linux-image-2.6.24-11-generic - Linux kernel image for version 2.6.24 on x86/x86_64
    linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-8-generic - Non-free Linux 2.6.24 modules on x86/x86_64
    linux-restricted-modules-common - Non-free Linux 2.6.24 modules helper script
    linux-source-2.6.24 - Linux kernel source for version 2.6.24 with Ubuntu patches
    linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-11-generic - Non-free Linux 2.6.24 modules on x86/x86_64
    linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-11-generic - Ubuntu supplied Linux modules for version 2.6.24 on x86/x86_64
    linux-headers-2.6.24-11-generic - Linux kernel headers for version 2.6.24 on x86/x86_64
    linux-image-2.6.24-8-generic - Linux kernel image for version 2.6.24 on x86/x86_64
    linux-headers-2.6.24-11 - Header files related to Linux kernel version 2.6.24
    linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-8-generic - Ubuntu supplied Linux modules for version 2.6.24 on x86/x86_64
    Any help will be *really* appreciated (I have my new Sonus Faber speakers coming tomorrow and I'd really like to test them out!)

Thanks!

Simon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

So, if I understand this thread correctly; if I want to have the same basic functionality to stream music to my Airport Express from Hardy & Amarok (or equivalent) as I have in Mac OS X & Itunes, I'm out of luck?

Switching to Ubuntu on my MacBook Pro has almost felt like an upgrade, and this is sort of the last thing I need to fix to run Ubuntu full time.

Beans

Yes, unfortunately. You can install a lightweight virtual machine running e.g. Xubuntu to stream from Amarok. Other than that, there are currently no options that I'm aware of. If you only use iTunes supported formats (e.g., aac, mp3), then you should run a supported version of itunes + airtunes using wine. I've heard of people having some success with this.

Even when raop_play is working, it's still a less than optimal solution, and I'm surprised there hasn't been work on a more 'polished' system. Perhaps the demand for it isn't as great as I imagine -- but as more people upgrade to Hardy there will be more people with this problem. So I'm still hopeful that there'll be a fix or some new development.

If itunes would play flac (and read its tags) I'd play around with wine.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Halsnalle View Post
    So, if I understand this thread correctly; if I want to have the same basic functionality to stream music to my Airport Express from Hardy & Amarok (or equivalent) as I have in Mac OS X & Itunes, I'm out of luck?

Switching to Ubuntu on my MacBook Pro has almost felt like an upgrade, and this is sort of the last thing I need to fix to run Ubuntu full time.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast