Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: With Ambiance theme - right click on desktop gives this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Menu Colors & Lack of General Cohesiveness

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    The light menu coming from light-elements & dark menu from dark-elements is a change in ambiance that is intentional & for the most part is working as intended, there are a few areas where not quite right
    (mainly with gtk2 apps & some in window menus
    OK. That's really weird though. I don't like it, but then I suppose I can always change the theme. (And what do you mean by "light elements"?)
    Linux: You reap what you tweak.

Beans

Well when you open a context menu from inside of nautilus then that's from a light-element, from the appmenu or app indicator that's a dark-element.
    Obviously this isn't a dynamic deal so all app windows fields would be treated as 'light'
    There are issues with some menus from inside apps that should be dark but aren't, synaptic is a clear example.

When it comes to apps where one disables the global then it's 50 - 50. some use dark, some light.
    (I've found all the 'in window menus' here that dropdown light all use something from gtkrc where all those that dropdown dark are fully gtk3

Also the right click on the window deco, which is dark, always produces a light menu, not a big deal I guess
    As does a systray icon in the unity panel
    Last edited by mc4man; March 15th, 2012 at 04:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    I cannot, for the life of me, get any real cohesiveness in themes. I use the Ambience Theme, but I notice that some menus are dark with white fonts, and some are white with dark fonts, etc...

For instance, my Firefox menus are dark grey with a white font. However, if I right click anywhere on the browser window, the menu is white with grey font. Also, if I click on the bookmark button (firefox toolbar) the menu is white. In Libre Office, my menus are white with black font. The classic menu is dark grey with white font.

So, am I dong something wrong or is this a bug?
    The new light menus are intended. They changed the right non-unity menus to be light colored, because when they were dark, it caused visual bugs in some apps (the most noticeable example is firefox's awesomebar dropdown. It was ugly as hell in older versions of ambiance, and almost unreadable. Looks great in 12.04)

I approve of all the theme changes in 12.04. Its a good combination of light and dark elements.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by screaminj3sus View Post
    The new light menus are intended. They changed the right non-unity menus to be light colored, because when they were dark, it caused visual bugs in some apps (the most noticeable example is firefox's awesomebar dropdown. It was ugly as hell in older versions of ambiance, and almost unreadable. Looks great in 12.04)

I approve of all the theme changes in 12.04. Its a good combination of light and dark elements.
    Interesting. It helps to know their thinking.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jpeddicord View Post
    So this is considered a bug? Light menus (on right clicks and the like) when dash/panel/launcher menus are dark?

So, why is the bug marked "invalid" while the importance is marked "high"?

Edit: Added myself to the bug list.
    Last edited by VTPoet; March 18th, 2012 at 05:19 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Perhaps Libreoffice is holding on to its identity harder than Firefox. I think that this will happen to any program/application that keeps its application menus in a panel in the window and not let them be put in the screen top panel.
    Hello grahammechanical and all

If you want LibreOffice global menu, then just install lo-menubar from software centre

The 'look and feel' of OpenOffice/LibreOffice has always been a bit different to the Gnome desktop. I suspect this is because of the cross platform nature of the package, but I can't reference that at the moment.

Beans

So this is considered a bug? Light menus (on right clicks and the like) when dash/panel/launcher menus are dark?

I'm gathering what still is a bug is that not all is following light from light, dark from dark

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by keithpeter View Post
    Hello grahammechanical and all

If you want LibreOffice global menu, then just install lo-menubar from software centre

The 'look and feel' of OpenOffice/LibreOffice has always been a bit different to the Gnome desktop. I suspect this is because of the cross platform nature of the package, but I can't reference that at the moment.
    Thanks for that hint!

Beans
    Distro

Apparently it's a bug in Unity, though I'm not sure how.

I'm not entirely sure if some menus are supposed to be lighter, but some menus are still bugged out even in Radiance (the background is lighter on the context menus).

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast